Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
The only constraints that the state of NY put on the NRA were honesty, openness, and truthfulness in their annual reports. The NRA failed on all counts.

Yep, on the one hand La'P claims the NRA is in the best financial shape ever. Then he contradicts that by declaring bankruptcy.

i've been an NRA life member since 1960. Contributed big bucks to the organization for decades. i will not give one more red cent to the NRA until La'P is history and the BOD is revamped. Began closely watching this NRA dumpster fire since it started at the 2019 convention with the airing of some very dirty laundry.

Few folks on these gun boards seldom ever research anything. Very few are aware that there are two primary NRA organizations, the NRA proper and the NRA Foundation, chartered in DC as a tax exempt charity. There are other NRA Foundations as well.

The Foundation accomplishes the mission the NRA was originally chartered for: Supporting marksmanship training, and supporting the shooting infrastructure. Sadly La'P and the BOD has plundered the NRA Foundation.
^^^ This

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
To many seem too forget there's 3 sides to every story.

Party A.

Party B.

The Truth.
Some years ago, in my work, we brought and Ojibwe delegation in from Wisconson to help us with a local issue. I'm definitely not going to remember this exactly. But one of the members told us a story. Part and parcel to that story was the first peoples belief thay all things have 12 sides, or perspectives, to be considered and once all were considered you may arrive at the truth. He stressed "may" as i remember, in that you may never get to the truth.
Anyhoo... just reminded me of that.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Maybe Texas will knock some sense into them.
Or perhaps place a couple of key conditions upon their setting up shop licensed as a TX company. Unknown if TX as a state for company incorporation or licensing has any stiff standards for fiduciary controls and the like but, perhaps with the pending mess NRA has, TX might be able to either require those before licensing or be able to state a couple of must-meet preconditions before any such licensing is issued. (Contract law, and all.) Imagine the state forcing them to clean house prior to any incorporation or licensing.

·
Supporting Member
12,003 Posts
What ever comes? I do not blame them from leaving New York because of this person.

James.jpg

AG James a pain in the Arssss not only for he NRA!
A smoking flaming Dem. Liberal and anti Second Amendment individual.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
The NRA lawyer is a long time contributor to Hillary Clinton, Schumer and others. At the time of the 2019 NRA convention the lawyers were costing NRA members about $100,000 per day.
Talks about twist and turns. Is there an NRA no talk rule of this family situation. William Brewer, NRA Lawyer, has had his own problems with what appears to be unethical behavior.

"With Brewer’s[ NRA Lawyer] backing, LaPierre this spring turned against Ackerman McQueen, the marketing firm that had been the NRA’s image maker for more than three decades — a company run by Brewer’s own father-in-law and brother-in-law... " Washington Post

Nobody talks about family relationships in the NRA Civil War. To me, this family arrangement needs some more daylight. Is this yet another scam?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I will continue to be a member and support NRA/ILA. Sounds like some of you are alot more up to speed on their internal stuff, possible corruption, etc than i am. But they are still the biggest hammer we have in our toolbox. Also support GOA, and your State Pro 2A organizations.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Yep, on the one hand La'P claims the NRA is in the best financial shape ever. Then he contradicts that by declaring bankruptcy.
Though, to be fair, it's an administrative filing for restructuring. It'll be interesting to see whether the filing is actually for financial reasons or for others.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Though, to be fair, it's an administrative filing for restructuring. It'll be interesting to see whether the filing is actually for financial reasons or for others.
People are consistent and do what they know. I'd suspect more of the same. That's a guess. Best to wait and see.

I do say without fear of contradiction that many good people voted with their feet and/or money about how things were done in the NRA. There is some evidence that the NRA no longer has the power it did. Finding a new organization means staying away from what did in the NRA. All of it...

·
Super Moderator
166 Posts
Don’t forget that declaring bankruptcy is a business maneuver. For an organization, it rarely indicates insolvency.

Yes, the NRA has had leadership issues. As a Life Member of the NRA, I still believe it is the best organization to support our 2A rights. I know there are many who disagree.

·
Premium Member
9,891 Posts
Keep sending your hard earned money to Wayne, those legal bills are huge.

For over two years the NRA has gotten nothing from me, nor will they so long as the present executives and BOD are in power.

My donations are going to children's charities.

·
Premium Member
11,055 Posts
Some years ago, in my work, we brought and Ojibwe delegation in from Wisconson to help us with a local issue. I'm definitely not going to remember this exactly. But one of the members told us a story. Part and parcel to that story was the first peoples belief thay all things have 12 sides, or perspectives, to be considered and once all were considered you may arrive at the truth. He stressed "may" as i remember, in that you may never get to the truth.
Anyhoo... just reminded me of that.
Sounds like my personal take on it. I don't care if there's a dozen, or a gross of stories out there. I want all of them, before I will even contemplate passing judgement. Same way an old family friend, who was the town police chief, before becoming one of the town JPs, always looked at it.

When I got arrested in 1992, over a bar fight, half the bar showed up as witnesses. all but three mentioned the other party walking up to me, claiming I was sleeping with his daughter, and breaking a beer bottle across the side of my head. 58 witnesses total, plus me, and the "victim."

Everyone had a voice in that courtroom.

And no, I was not drinking, and was in a bar, that also served food, before 2100 hours, so I was breaking no laws. I sat on the tailgate of my truck, after walking out, and waited for LE, didn't resist, didn't say anything more than I want an attorney, and need to go to the ER to get checked out. Deputy was the local wrestling coach, so he knew me, and my grandparents ran a foster home, so he knew us.

Parents came down, and after getting cleaned and patched up, I wenbt before Jack, for my araignment. ROR, and given a trial date, and time to prepare. Happened 7 months later, after I spent 3 in the hospital, after a drunk driving accident. He asked if I wished to pursue charges against the other guy, after rendering his verdict on my charges.

Not guilty, self defense, because after the guy broke the bottle, he tried stabbing me with the broken off neck, and landed one with it to my left cheek, that made it through to my gums. I declined, because I saw no point in it.

The statement of three sides to every story is boiling it down to the basics, but it's also ties to something I know as a business owner, that I learned in Business math, un high school, that may apply here, in the case with the NRA. Every business has three sets of books.

The first is what gets shown to Uncles Sam and the state, on 15 April, and 4 times a year, when paying business taxes. It maximizes loss, wear and tear, and operating expenses. You show the maximum losses, you pay mini,um taxes.

The second is for onvestors and potential partners. I minimizes losses, expenses, and maximizes gains, to interest people into buying stocks, other companies to get in bed with your company, and is sued when you wish to show profit, to a potential buyer, when you want out. Uncle Sam and the state, never see it. Because for taxes, it doesn't exist.

The third set is the real set, with access limited to owners and the board, and is what said business bases every decision on in it's day to day operation, and all plans going forward for growth and expansion, or cuts to staff and job sites.

A, B, and the Truth. And unless we have access to that third set of ledgers, we don't know whats actually happening within the NRA, and even then, if half of whats out there about WLP is true, IF being the key word, I wouldn't even trust that one, as it's likely as cooked as the other two are, by design. But I'd give the remaining 4 toes I have to get a look at it, to try to figure it out.

Simply because I want to know where my dues and donations went over the last 12 years, as well as since 1987, when dad gave me a lifetime membership. As should any member, IMHO.

I will continue to be a member and support NRA/ILA. Sounds like some of you are alot more up to speed on their internal stuff, possible corruption, etc than i am. But they are still the biggest hammer we have in our toolbox. Also support GOA, and your State Pro 2A organizations.
Pretty much what I do, I also support a couple back in NY, as a sign of solidarity with those who didn't have the option to leave, like I did. SCOPENY and the NYSR&PA.

Want a real laugh? I'm a straight, white, Libertarian, living in a Conservative, East Coast state, that even holds a membership in The Pink Pistols, out of San Francisco. A few of their members are old friends from college, as is one of their board members, who I have known since high school.

Yep, I'm a card carrying member of an LGBTQ gun club. In part, to support the 2A, and to show support for a few of my friends.

Don’t forget that declaring bankruptcy is a business maneuver. For an organization, it rarely indicates insolvency.

Yes, the NRA has had leadership issues. As a Life Member of the NRA, I still believe it is the best organization to support our 2A rights. I know there are many who disagree.
Yep. Used a few times by a certain man from NYC that the media hates, to keep a few of his business ventures open, so he could keep his employees employed. Same with a lot of other companies, and chances are, we'll see a lot more of it, in the next couple years, after the pandemic, as well as during it.

As to membership, been a lifetime member since 1987, wife and Daughter since 2006, Dad since 1984. Told them when this all started, that I wouldn't send in anything more until WLP and certain board members took a hike. Still stand by it, after they pushed the bump fire stock and binary trigger bans.

And yes, I made sure to notify them of my disatisfaction over that. Same with not pushing harder to get a few things reversed, when we had the best odds of doing so. Right now, we stay for the magazines.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Right now, we stay for the magazines.
Well back in the day the AR was all there was. In those days the were technical articles were excellent. The focus was on firearms and shooting. Good solid information. The reloading articles were tops. There were 1950's era NRA reloading manuals with pressure data. What do I get now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to all of this, and trying to learn what I can, where I can. I will continue to keep up to date with whatever is going on with my membership, in any organizations.

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
The faster the NRA dies and stops siphoning money from NGRA , GOA, 2A Foundation , the better all 2A as written supporters will be.

We lost the RTKABA decades ago in large part due to the NRA in exchange for gov permission to keep and bear arms.

NRA has never and will never support regaining that right.

·
Registered
373 Posts
NRA = National Restaurant Association

They`ve been eating on our dime for to long.
Not another dime until they lose the fatcats that over eat.

I see plenty other organizations stepping up more than the NRA is right now.
I`ll support those who are TRYING TO DO something besides just taking money.

FPC https://www.firearmspolicy.org/legal
GOA https://gunowners.org/latest-news/
SCOPE (NY) https://scopeny2a.org

God help us if this ever gets signed into law.
Now they want to push having liability insurance if you carry.
https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld= &leg_video=&bn=A00581&term=2021&Summary=Y

Here is the rest of the BS they want in NY.
https://scopeny2a.org/nys-legislation

21 - 40 of 76 Posts