Now if Florida followed Georgia's footsteps

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by danf_fl, Apr 23, 2014.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

More good guys with guns = more safety.

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

3. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

4. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Aside from the Atlanta contingent, I would expect that most Georgians either support it, or don't care one way or another. I know my family members back home are happy about it.

5. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Why not just have all the states follow Vermont's and Arizona's examples?

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would not call it "the Old West all over again."
    I would call it "people making sound decisions based on their needs".

Safety is a need for self preservation. We build homes to protect us from the environment. We have first aid kits. We have fire extinguishers. We wear protective clothing as required for the task at hand. And knowledge that a firearm could be present can (sometimes) keep the violence out and open a channel for arbitration in conflicts or disagreements with others.

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll toss in that familiar old quote from Robert Heinlein--

An armed society is a polite society

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

people cried there would be chaos and the streets would run red with blood when Texas signed into law the legal carrying of concealed firearms into law.

funny, it never happened. in fact, violent crime actually went down.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if only that law could be done in everystate! what a great job by georgia!

11. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Here in AZ we have Constitutional Carry. If you are a citizen in good standing, i.e. you can pass the NICS check, then you can carry whatever you want open or concealed with no further permitting being required by the state.

Our Glorious Progressive Leaders and their stooges wailed, gnashed their teeth and rent their clothes over this, yet for some reason crime has dropped and the goblins are scared for their lives. While the good guys go about their business in a lawful and civil manner.

I for one would dearly love to see other states get Constitutional Carry passed. I feel safer knowing that should the chips come down and the goblins run amok, I know that more then likely there is one or more armed citizens ready to help me defend me and mine. Just as I would defend them and theirs.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

They ALWAYS say that whenever some useless gun control law is watered down or done away with. I think it's a rule if you call yourself a democrat. It's right up there with "all those illegals are republicans waiting to happen" & "we'll only stick in part way."

13. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Even better!

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Florida panhandle is a different world than Miami.

One thing I would like to see is that military bases honor concealed weapons permits issued by the states and allow concealed carry.

The problem (for the most part) is not the people who actually went to the trouble to get the permit. It is mostly those who conceal a weapon illegally.

15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I completely agree with you Dan but no, that ain't gonna happen. I recently sat through a brief where the base security officer told us it was for our own safety. Hell, you even so much as have a loose round of ammo or a can of maze in the car and you are going to get charged according to him.

Oh and as far as gun registration goes, the military already has a system. If you have a gun in your car and you have to go on base, you are suppose to tell the gate guard so they can disarm you, run the gun to see if it's stolen, and then put the serial number in their system so next time it is "easier on us".

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Florida's laws aren't far off from the new Georgia laws. The only difference is that in Florida, it is not legal to carry in a bar, although you can carry in a restaurant that has a bar. I am ok with that one. Drink or carry; not both.

Florida still bans guns in schools, but we usually have deputies that are armed at schools. I am ok with that one too. I had some teachers that were NUTS, and I wouldn't want my 6 year old to be in a classroom with one of them that was armed. Then again, I am one that does not believe that everyone has the mental capacity to carry guns......sorry NRA.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

You left something out. What about when you are the designated driver? I know when I am I'd like to be able to carry. Some of the best bars aren't exactly in the best parts of town. Yes, you can carry in a restaurant, but not in the bar area.

If I can go into a bar/restaurant and have a couple beers and then drive (legally as well as competently) why can't I carry a firearm? I am not advocating carrying while intoxicated, 1 to 2 12oz bottles of beer is nowhere near impaired.

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Yes it is! If Crist is elected I don't know how much longer that will be true. Right now Miami is the exact reason we need knife preemption laws. How silly it is that many of my EDC knives would catch me a charge regardless of a CWP.