Now I must have one...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by glenthoughts, Oct 16, 2009.

1. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I did this with a bud of mine in the desert.

[​IMG]

Now I must have a Ruger 10/22.... period, what a nice little rifle. My next purchase for sure.

2. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

And $500.00 worth of modifications later. You'll still love it. They are addictive as crap.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Glen,
    I'll let you shoot mine when you come out.

Jim........

Attached Files:

• 3JPG.jpg
      3JPG.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
  4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Here's 1 of mine.

Attached Files:

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I wouldn't mind getting one. I just don't want to get addicted to a 22 just yet...in a couple years, I'm game.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Hey MasterPSmith, did you make that stock of did you buy if from somewhere? That thing is super nice. I really like thumbholes, and I really like the fact that that one has finger grooves. Never seen one like that.

-Fred

7. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

Yer on for that Jim, twist my arm... OK i will shoot it. Knowing you it is a tac driver for sure.

Im thinking right after my payday, i will coordinate a day with you, have you fix my bad habits with my .45 and would love to shoot that 10/22, and im interested in the mini 14 too.

I found a 10/22 at the local gun store, 225 with wood stock, they want more for the black polymer, but I like wood.

I will start with it box stock and just enjoy it, and take the girls shooting, they love shooting 22's, lots of fun with spinners... and various targets they make for them.

then a scope, and so forth...

Stalkingbear,
    That is a nice looking rifle. I am so amazed at the quality and price of the Ruger 10/22, truly an all American rifle.
    the other thing I was impressed with is how I could put shot after shot within a quarter inch of each other freehand.
    I can not wait until my nickles add up to my new rifle...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I actually found a box of 500 .22 Long Rifle Cyclone High Velocity Hollow Points.

36 bucks.
    Turners had just got them in and there were only 4 boxes left. I could only afford one box. I am going to stretch it thin and get the rifle at the end of this month...

Plane Jane Rugger 10/22, I held it tonight when I got the ammo, nice open sights, real purdy wood stock, that is how she will stay for quite a while...

In the communist state of Ka. I get one 10 round clip with it, because we all know that 11th round can kill you...

Can't wait...

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I hate the 10/22. A Marlin 60 is much better. BTW, I just bought 2 bricks, 1100 rounds of Centurian 38gr hp's (Aguila) for 52.00 shipped.

With CCI mini mags or Aguila High velocity there is no change in POI. I even tried Aguila subsonic .22lr and the POI was less than 1" lower at 50 yards and they cycled! No grunge left behind in the action that happens w/ bulk .22 ammo. Regular Aguila ammo is Eley primed, Really top notch ammo. For 38gr Hyper-velocity it averages $28.00 per 500, subsonic 40gr. is $24.00 per 500. BTW, The Model 60 is a 14 round tube.

Edit: One on top

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I checked and the Marlin 60 goes for about 165 bucks, some more some less.

The only thing I don't like on it is the tube. The ruger can swap out mags...

I do not know enough about either one to make any more comparisons, input is welcome from others.

I am still leaning toward the Ruger because of the ease of loading and reloading via clip. The one I shot functioned perfectly was box stock and amazingly accurate...

11. jpattersonnh

I can understand your point, but how long does it take to load a mag? There are speed loaders for the Marlin 60. Most of the guys I know either are hooked on the 10/22 or Glenfield/Marlin 60. You will find 10/22 owners spend quite a bit to accurize there rifles, while 60 owners shoot them as is with great accuracy. I can say that my 60 has terrible open sights, front blade is way to wide for target or hunting. I put a 3-9x32 rimfire scope on it years ago and it is a great shooter. Rifle, sling and scope cost about $150.00 20 years ago and it is still going strong. You may want to check out pawn shops and gun shops for whatever rifle you decide on, used. The newer 10/22's have allot of plastic compared w/ older ones. You may find yourself w/ an all together different rifle. I went out to buy my son a .22 for his 12th birthday. I came home w/ a Winchester 190 and a 20ga shotgun for him for $200.00. After hours of cleaning the 190 I put a 4x32 rimfire scope on it. It is a very nice and accurate rifle, but looked a little rough when I picked it up.
    If you look at the center rifle in the pic it is a 1954 Savage. It has the JC Higgens tag on it from Sears. It is a very accurate rifle and they can be found for $50.00 these days. This one was my Dads. I've shot woodchucks out to 100 yards w/ it w/ open sights.
    The bottom rifle is a Browning A-bolt .22 WMR Gold medallion. The same rifle was made in .22lr. Mine will put 5 rounds in a 3/4" circle, dead bull at 100 yards. It is great for Vermin head shots out to 120 yards. It wears an old Bushnell 3-9x40mm w/ amber-glow optics. A .17 HMR maybe another good choice if distance is a must. I have a Marlin 917V w/ an old 6-24x40mmAO scope on it for Vermin out to 150+ yards. There are so many choices, you really need to look around and decide what you want the rifle for and what will suit your needs best. If NRA smallbore shooting is possible, or hunting. A bolt gun such as a Mossberg M44 would be perfect. Fun gun or hunting shorter ranges, the 60 or 10/22. Good luck and have fun. JP

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Just because you hate the 10/22 don't mean the Marlin is better. You need to clarify that it's better IN YOUR OPINION as you CANNOT prove that for fact.

13. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

Thank you for the information, good reading... I am reading and learning much, this will be my first rifle... EVER...

14. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I am still leaning toward the 10/22, got a week to go till payday...

15. jpattersonnh

Actually I can say w/ confedence the 60 is better. I've owned both! I've worked on both. I own 1 of the 2... Hmmm wonder why. Ruger flaws.. Bolt, trigger group, recoil system. Nothing is sqaure!
    Here are the scematic prints for both.
    Marlin & Glenfield*|*60 NEW MODEL*|*e-GunParts.com
    *|*e-GunParts.com
    The 10/22 is way to complex a trigger assembly for a simple .22 rifle. It suffers from the same quality issues as the Mini 14 that always has a canted gas block. If Ruger would ever get the bugs out they would have the #1 .22 on the market, but so many folks spend hundreds to accurize them, why should they? Many of the $800.00 variety shoot no better than my aging Marlin 60 that cost $110.00. That is a fact! Granted, I can only buy scopes and stocks. But, playing pimp my gun has never been my style. I shoot and hunt. Just my humble opinion. JP

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Glen,

Here's a 42 year old Marlin 60. Can't beat it for fun, but the Ruger is a better competition buy.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/my-tango-plunkungfest-westeren-auto-120-a-14041/#post107914

17. Glockmaniac

Glockmaniac New Member

eeeuuu...exactly. once the trigger group, the new bull barrel, bolt release..etcetcetc swapped, you'll love it even more.

18. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

THAT is an awesome writeup...

Now you guys are confusing the new guy here.

masterPsmith gets the final word, what say yeee?
    I have seen him shoot, he trained me to shoot, (very few I meet now out shoot me with a handgun) and I have seen his groups on paper and in person, as well as I have seen his work first hand smithing...

(Jim, do you mind if I post a link to you doing 12 shots of .45 on 6 targets through two stacked windows with no misses in a few seconds?)

19. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

The Ruger 10/22 is an American Icon....I don't know how anyone could do without.

20. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Glen,
    I have owned several of both through the years and still do. I would still opt for the 10/22 for an all around .22 semi-auto for hunting, plinking or competition. I know a lot of shooters out there love the 60 and it's variants, but I have had to repair far more of them than any other semi-auto .22 combined, for developing feed problems of one sort or another. Once they start to wear, the become very finicky on the type of ammo you try to feed them. I have also had many, many 60s come to me in a paper bag to be put back together because the owners took the fire control group apart and could not re-assemble it (very common thing to happen). I think stalkingbear has had his fair share come through for repair also....

Just my 2-cents....................

Post away if you want...

Jim.....................