Novel Question: Round Capacity

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SDJonathan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

Hey, I'm writing a novel, and I was wondering if somebody could help me out with some questions I have about ammunition:

1:How heavy is ammo, and about how many 9mm rounds could an ordinary person carry in a backpack without being overly burdened?

2: What is the highest round capacity for a firearm available to a civilian?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

1. Literally alot. Go to a Wally World and pick up a box of 9mm, you will see it is not very heavy. Of course, it depends upon the person.

2. State laws vary with regards to round capacity.

3. Being a writer myself, I can offer some advice. Read, read, read and write about what you know.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Have you picked a weapon yet? Different guns have different capacities.

4. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Yup! You can get a Glock and then buy a 30rd mag for it. Or you can get that XDM9 thing and those mags hold 19. Those are just handguns brother!
    Next is rifles and shotguns and such!:) Keep cruising this place and you'll know exactly the questions to ask to get the responses you need. Surprisingly this place has allot of smart people apposed to other forums with there trolls etc.

5. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

Well, I'm thinking of having this character (a 22 year old woman) use a 9mm handgun, and I'm hoping there's one with maybe around 20 round capacity, because she's something of a klutz with her hands and has difficulty reloading weapons quickly.

Also, I've heard of automatic weapons that can have the automatic firing "turned off." If this is true, I'm thinking that another character who gets his hands on some machine guns would do this with a large magazine assault rifle after discovering that the AK 47 only has three seconds of continuous fire, despite what every single action movie ever would suggest.

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

As was said earlier 9mm is not heavy. It would be easy to carry several hundred rounds in a pack and still have load capacity for other gear like clothing, cookware, and eats. It would be a fairly scarce load,though to keep it within a reasonable weight. I have a get home bag that has about 6 pounds of ammo in it. If it were a bug out bag I would make that number a lot higher and get rid of something to make up for the weight.

I pulled a plastic ammo box from my pack and weighed it as 1.425 pounds with 9mm Winchester 115 gr. JHP ammo.

As far as round capacity I do not believe outside of a couple of states with obnoxious gun restrictions, there is a limit to round capacity. You can easily get 100 round drum magazines for AR15's and AK's. Pistol mag capacity varies with model.

I will stick with 9mm as you suggested. Not common for a revolver which would hold 5 or 6. Pocket pistols generally have a smaller magazine and will hold 8-10. Full size pistols will go from 10 to 30, with the middle of that being most common. Newer models generally have higher capacity, manufacturers have seen the demand and are building to it.

7. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

10 to 30 round capacity 9mm handguns? I must not be looking in the right place, then. I looked up 9mm handguns, found a website that sold them, and the largest magazine size I found held 19 bullets. What handgun uses 30 9mm round magazines?

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Of course writing about what you know would be good. There was an author I read recently whose main character (an FBI agent) always loaded his .45acp Glock 30 by 1) putting in a full magazine, 2) pulling back the slide and 3) hand-placing a single round into the chamber. The author described it this way several times. There are a few problems with that procedure, but the author didn't have enough personal knowledge to know how laughable it was.

Most magazines for hand guns do not have such an even number as 20 or 30. Even the high-capacity magazines for 9mm Glocks (SecPro doesn't know what he's talking about on this one) hold 33 rounds, not 30. 15 rounds and 17 rounds is pretty common.

Also, if someone was carrying around a lot of ammo, much of it would be pre-loaded into magazines, one could presume, for quick use.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Glock series of 9mm handguns (models 17, 18, 19, 26...) have the option of buying a 33-round magazine, which sticks out the bottom. Go to Youtube and look for Glock 18. You can also search for Glock magazines and you will find other sizes of mags. The 33-round magazine would only be used for a few reasons, though, since it is so unwieldy (range shooting for fun and killing people are two reasons I can think of).

The Glock 18, by the way, is not available in the US because it has a little switch that makes it go from semi-automatic (1 round per pull of the trigger) to fully automatic. A 33-round magazine goes very quickly.

Guns that fire 3-round bursts are NOT handguns. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, though. That concept is from the military's M-16, which is a rifle and can be selected to fire 1-round, 3-round bursts, or fully automatic.

10. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Yeah I messed this one up but I chalk it up to not owning a Glock... :D
    These mags aren't common like CHLChris said, but they are available.

11. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Ha, you are wrong about one thing brother. The Glock 18s are available for purchase in the states but only to LE/Mil.
    Strict adherence to this policy! I have a vid with a friend firing with his partner onthe Glock range with a G18 . I'll ask if I can share it!

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

SecPro, only in good fun. Thanks for the correction. See, Jonathan? This is why FTF is the best firearms forum on the interwebz!

13. SecPro

SecPro New Member

Yeah you can breakballs all day and learns you some stuff. Just gotta keep it clean of course.:D

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There ARE handguns capable of burst fire- and the term "Teats on a boar hog" is the closest I can come to describing their usefullness. MOST handguns will be semiautomatic. When using a fully automatic firearm (machinegun) despite what you see from Hollywood, it is NOT used like a firehose- it is used in bursts- which is why many military rifles are now equipped to give semi-automatic fire- one shot per trigger pull- and burst fire- pull trigger, get 3 shots. A firearm like the full auto AK47 wants to dance around if you are trying to empty the magazine in one long burst. Noise does not stop an opponent- bullets impacting do- so you have to be able to hit your target. Reason for odd number of cartridges- most hi-caps use a double stack mag- a cross section of the mag would have rounds left right left right- so one side holds one more than the other.

There are several different "9mm" cartridges. The most common is likely the 9mm Parabellum, which is the formal name for the 9mm Luger. There is a shorter cartridge called 9mm Kurz or 9mm Cortos, which is the .380 pistol cartridge, and the Soviet 9mm Makarov. These do NOT interchange. You can probably find 9mm Parabellum in any major city in the world. Been around for 100 years.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are a couple of selective fire handguns out there. Glock G-18 and Beretta 93r being the most common. Even those are very rare by comparison to their semi-auto only counterparts. Perhaps only a few dozen transferrable 93r's and less than 100 G-18's in the US. This of course discounts the few hundred or so of each that might be illegally in country.

A machine gun like an AK-47 (the real thing, not some semi-auto clone) is selective fire. It is capable of firing either full auto or semi-auto

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

17. SDJonathan

SDJonathan New Member

Thanks! And I just checked a video of how loading a magazine works, so I was wondering something else:

If somebody was terrible at reloading, if they had no practice with it, how long would it take somebody to load a 33 9mm bullet magazine?

18. orangello

orangello New Member

It could take several minutes, if they had a joint problem or were unfamiliar with that particular pistol. Happily, some pistols (including the XD45 i bought) come with a little plastic thingy that makes it easier and faster to load the mags by pushing down the rounds in the mag while you slide in another round. That thingy is very handy at getting those last few rounds into the mags for my XD; i will eventually get a similar device for my CZ-75b 9mm pistol (a fairly common pistol internationally, or so i am told).

This is similar to the loader that comes with the XD: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=453926 . They make other types for rifle magazines.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  19. SecPro

SecPro New Member

20. fireguy

fireguy New Member

glock 18

I had the opportunity to fire a Glock 18 while at a defensive shotgun class.
    The instructor had one and let us all fire it at steel. Faaast rate of fire emptied the mag too quick for only getting to shoot one mag worth of ammo. It was easy to handle and I put most of my lead on targetl.