Nothing on this Rifle caliber pistol reclassified as NFA rumor here?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Gh0zt36, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

I woulda thought someone was talking about it.

So this video

Citing this law office memo https://comms.wiley.law/8/3583/octo...EX80l5gkc6uaD8k9UgbCDvQNejGXas7DfPtQos2ZiGCO0

Is suggesting the ATF is about to reclassify all rifle caliber pistols as AOWs an NFA item.

The memo doesn't have any official ATF credentials. But this rumor is spreading like wildfire.

Anyone hear anything on official channels about it?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Until BATFE says something, it's still a rumor. And notice it is put out there by a law firm.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Panic now, and avoid the rush.....

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Does BATFE have the authority to make laws?

5. locutus

Yes and no. The damnable congress writes laws that say
    "The secretary shall promulgate rules..."
    And that gives them almost umlimited authority.

6. superc

superc Active Member

MisterMcCool said:
    Does BATFE have the authority to make laws?

Essentially, (sadly) yes. Congress delegated to them the authority to make the regulations and interpret both the law and their regulations, to determine what is and what is not an NFA weapon, and to approve or disapprove firearms imports.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been on here. The firearm in question is the Honey Badger. The company pushed the rules to the limit and it looks like someone in the ATF measured wrong. LOP on a braced pistol is limited to 13.5" and is measured in a straight line parallel to the bore. If measured at an angle the measurement on the Honey Badger is 13.625". There is currently a 60 day hold on the ATF ruling. If Biden wins you can bet the ATF will be encouraged to make as many restrictions as possible.

Sniper03 likes this.
  8. superc

superc Active Member

No, this is beyond the Honey Badger and Q. ATF sent out a letter (MAC channel has a copy up if YouTube hasn't pulled it yet) alerting a law firm that they are considering the re-evaluation of all Form 6 imports of pistols and the new criteria for approval will be felt weight and if it is rifle caliber, has rifle sights, and over all length. Obviously felt weight is subjective depending on who holds the gun. I may find it light, but a small female may find it too heavy to be a pistol. Any weapon that is not a pistol under the new criteria, if not a shotgun, or a rifle must be an NFA Any Other Weapon (AOW) item and need a $200 tax stamp and registration. ATF further states their intent to make the action retroactive so that even if Form 6 approval was given years ago, all weapons imported under the old Form 6 once it is cancelled will become instant contraband and subject to the NFA and those possessing them will be felons according to the letter. This is not a change of posted rules, merely a re-evaluation of previously submitted Form 6 and therefore not included in Trump's EO of 2 years ago. The decision will be made in late November (post election).

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I've always felt that the "Pistol Brace's" were a work around for people wanting a SBR.
    The only people that I've ever actually seen using the Pistol Brace as it was intended were Handicapped shooter's. Everyone else shoot's them as a shouldered rifle, which makes it an "Illegal" Class 3 Short Barreled Rifle.
    I have a handicapped friend that has a few gun's with pistol braces. He only has one arm, and needs to use it to help him shoot more accurately. For people like him, it would suck if they get re-classified, but for able bodied people that don't use it as intended, they should have to pony up and pay for a tax stamp, IMO.

MstrMsn, locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  10. superc

superc Active Member

It is the handicapped the braces were first designed for. The problem came when the not handicapped decided they should use it too, and ATF allowed this, thereby creating the problem. The horse has left the barn thanks to an ATF decision back in 2015. Slamming the barn door closed may make ATF feel better initially but it creates more problems as no one has rounded up the horses that are already out. Jailing every pistol owner is not a smart decision, but it is what ATF is talking about.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Taking this with a grain of salt. BTW, the Transfer Tax fee for BUYING an AOW is not $200- it's $5.

[​IMG]

locutus and kfox75 like this.
  12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

08835690-2626-4031-9C7D-39FAFF9E6DF0.jpeg Ruger Single Six in .22 long RIFLE

SRK97 likes this.
  13. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

What they need to worry about is bolt guns that shoot accurately past a mile. But, don't tell anybody I said that.:D:D

Txhillbilly likes this.
  14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

All I have are double barreled shotguns that I can stick out of the window and fire a couple of blasts. When I go to court, I plan to subpoena Joe Biden as a defense witness......

MstrMsn, primer1, locutus and 2 others like this.
  15. locutus

Once again, you push the limit and try to get around the rules and it comes back to bite you in the arse.:(

Txhillbilly likes this.
  16. superc

superc Active Member

You are correct. I think maybe Military Arms Channel (YouTube) was mixing the 2 ATF letters, the one to Q LLC, and the latest one. The one to Q LLC about the pistol braces being denied retroactively was about a determination that their Honey Pistol was possibly a short barreled rifle and that tax, vs. the letter about all rifle caliber pistols being an AOW and all previously issued Form 6s for them will be revoked retroactively. My understanding is the Q letter determination has been set aside (suspended) until after the election at which time ATF will revisit the issue. Donald needs to dump some seniors at ATF, that is for sure. The question nervous FFL holders have is will he or will he do as he did on bump stocks and decide, who cares?

17. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I remember back in the early 1980's when everyone in MN was pizzed off that the single shot break action pistol maker Thompson Centerfire was making pistols with rifle cartridges and therefore "more" laws would apply to everything.
    Everything then became a Pistol and Rifle cartridge.