Not your father's 22 ...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by dog2000tj, Apr 25, 2011.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well, actually it is. :p The girlfriend bought me a Ruger 10/22 for my birthday this past weekend. But me being me I won't be leaving this one alone. As a matter of fact I plan on modifying this as much as possible. But being that I no diddly do da about 22's how about some pointers in the right direction?

What I would like out of this is almost a show piece target rifle. It may see some critter hunting but I am more interested in excellent range results. So where do I begin?

:D

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i highly recomend something along the line of pink...

[​IMG]

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I like your style, just not for me :p It's all black or stainless steel for me ;)

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Nice looking gun but sorry i cant help you out with any ideas on accessories since i don't have any experience with ruger 10/22's but i wish you luck. You must have a good girlfriend too. I wish mine would buy me a 10/22. :)

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Allright, Jon. Quit showing this gun and making me jealous. I shot a 10-22 this weekend at Bear's Meet and Greet. A very nice gun, indeed.

6. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I shot a pink 10/22 with a full auto sear a few years back at a local forum meet.

Pink or not full auto is always manly :p

As far as your gun you could go the basic route
    Houge overmold stock and a bull barrel/trigger job and shoot awesome groups

You can get a thumbhole custom painted stock and do the same thing for the showy style
    [​IMG]

Houge stock will set you back about $70 with the laminated thumbhole running 150.

So the question is how far you want to take it?

$400 10/22 or 900?

Or you could just buy a Marlin model 60 and shoot it :D.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I like that stock! :eek: Who makes it? :D I am still on the fence but I may look into suppressing this one. At the very least a really nice stock, heavy barrel and a Stalkingbear trigger job.

8. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

First things first propose to that woman you lucky SOB :p

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You just said part of it, Stalkingbear trigger job. :D

10. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  11. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Do not marry her the gifts will stop.:)

12. cuate

cuate New Member

Ruger 10/22

I have my Dad's 10/22 and I have no idea when he bought it or it's age but he installed a Burris big rifle scope on it and it is a tack driver ! I have stuck with the Ruger 10 round mags and carry a spare. Some of the after market high capacity magazines are plastic junk unless they have metal feed lips.

The action its self needs cleaning and lubrication "every few years", the removal of the barrel, although simple is not required, But the bore like any firearm's deserves occasional cleaning.

MidwayUSA and others have many custom parts but I have kept mine as it was made, I doubt they will ever wear out !

13. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

The things i noticed about these stocks inless you have unusally large hands they can be a pain to use i dont really care for them. maybe some modification to the thumb whole grip to make it's cirucomfrence smaller it might work a little better. thats just my opinion though

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You could forgo the hassle and get a Marlin 60.