Not sure where to post??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by metal408, Oct 29, 2008.

1. metal408

metal408 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has hand any experience with a Davis Derringer d38 or any other derringer F.I.E hand guns and what you think about them. Good bad reliable? Any info related to, or you think is interesting, would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

They are nothing more than "novelties".

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

They're junk. They're good for nothing more than a point blank gut shot.

4. metal408

metal408 New Member

i was debating on getting one fore my wife since its small and i dont think she'd be strong enough to pull back the slide on a say a 9mm glock or beretta or anything so i was looking at compacts for her, any suggestions? only think i could think of besides any revolvers would be like a Ruger SR9, but i kinda want it for myself :p

5. Mark F

Get your wife a Ruger LCP, or a Kel Tec P3AT. Very compact, easy to shoot, and you get 6+1 rounds of .380 firepower. It should do the trick. That Ruger SR9 will work well for you, but take a look at the P345.

6. matt g

Beretta Tomcat, Ruger LCP, Walter PPK, KelTec P3AT...

Honestly though, if she isn't strong enough to pull the slide back on a Glock 19, she'll probably have problems operating any pistol.

7. vanguard

vanguard New Member

davis is not a good gun, i had one it miss fired every other shot, now i have a phoenix 25 cal very good gun for the money.about $150.00 i have never had a problem, it is made by a different company now.

8. metal408

metal408 New Member

wow, thats a pretty impressive little pocket rocket. do you have the it with a black grip or wood?( and is there a price difference/how much?) and is yours the full auto, and how many rounds in the mag/ extended mag if you know?

9. matt g

Full autos are illegal in California and something that small would be useless for automatic fire anyway. The Phoenix MP25s have a 6 round magazine and are semi-auto.

I'd avoid junk guns though, especially if it is for your wife. It's possibly her life at stake, why save money?

10. metal408

metal408 New Member

very true, i was reading up about it and a lot of people say that the .25 ACP is not very good and would recommend going with the .22 if anything. I also came across a couple folks saying that its sort of a puzzle gun with a lot of safeties and one police officer said he would not carry it around with a round in the chamber for fear of safety defects. any other suggestions? i was looking at some .38 specials but i dont want her to break her wrist hahaha. (the more i look the more i feel like she'll probably have it for about 2 weeks and then it'll turn to my ankle back up)

11. metal408

metal408 New Member

the ruger LCP is hella nice i completely forgot about it (brain fart). and for some reason i never even saw this post until just now? **** i can see targets fine through a 3 point sight but cant read huge posts on the net, seem to have my priorities straight haha :p

12. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

It doesn't sound like your wife is very interested in the whole thing as it is so why try forcing it by buying her a gun ?

Even $100 is a good start to the price of good family pet that would actually provide her with some real protection like a German Sheppard puppy .

Just last night on my local news a women was attacked at her front door by a man and pushed inside the home with the intention of raping her and her Germen Shep came to the rescue , the Police we telling people to look out for a man who had bites around the Neck , Shoulders and Face .

Sounds to me like old horney toad was about to get his throat ripped out by fido and decided to run for his life .

13. metal408

metal408 New Member

haha yea we have a blue nose american and then our little lapdog thats a maltese chiwuawua. but she always wants to go to the range with me and i dont want her to dislocate a shoulder so im looking for something smaller, so she can shoot it when we go, and an excuse to buy another toy for daddy. the weird thing is im sure she would never carry it, but also she always complains about wanting to shoot. such a women :p

14. Mark F

Davis is no longer in business

15. metal408

metal408 New Member

true, very old company started in the 1800's i believe. stopped in around 1935 i think and i read somewhere about someone (connected with or buying the co. or something) producing more under a new name or management in like 85' or something along those lines, not too sure though. correct me if im wrong, please.

16. matt g

I believe that Jennings is making them now. Jennings isn't really known for their stellar firearms either though.

17. Mark F

I believe this is correct, but like you said... they aren't worth pizz on a rock.

18. metal408

metal408 New Member

so i finally decided what to get my wife:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOPuEuJx1MY[/ame]

thats a vid of it in action, check it out and tell me what you think, its a very entertaining video as well so enjoy!

19. Model19

Model19 New Member

First of all, your wife needs to decide what is going to be best for her.
    The first question she needs to answer honestly is, can she kill someone without hesitation if so threatened. My mom said she wanted a gun in the house and when I asked her if she could point it at an intruder and pull the trigger and kill without hesitation, she told me "no".
    I explained to her a gun is a tool used to protect yourself, just like a wrench is used to fix the car. You don't threaten or warn a bad alternator, you use the wrench and replace the alternator.
    Hesitating or being unsure can allow an intruder to disarm and kill you.

If your wife decides that having a gun is ok for her, then she needs to do the shopping.
    Take her to a shooting range that rents pistols. Let her handle and pick out the one(s) to try. Don't be judgemental or critical. Let her know both the pros and cons of each pistol so she can make the best decision.

My opinion as to what caliber to get is nothing smaller than a .38 or 9mm
    If the intruder is under the influence of drugs, a .22 may not do the job with one shot.

A revolver or semi-auto:
    Revolvers tend not to have hair triggers unless cocked. If you have a bad round, you just pull the trigger again. I never had a revolver jam.

Double action semi-auto pistols have the advantage of not having to be cocked to fire the first round.

Semi-autos have an advantage of having a light trigger pull possibly enabling an accurate first shot. If not held right when fired, a semi-auto can jam.

I have a S&W Model 19. I can load it with 38 special or 357 magnum shells. One of features I like about it is I don't have to worry about the spring in the magazine. I can leave it loaded for months at a time and it will always be ready to shoot.
    I have tried many semi-autos. The one I liked the best was a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Fairly compact, accurate, easy to cock, and get a consistant grip.

Have your wife take a couple of shooting lessons. Afterall, she probably took driving lessons to learn how to operate a car safely. A good instructor will be able to tell her how to handle and point a pistol (my mom told me you don't aim a pistol, you point it at what you want to shoot, she's right).

As far as defense goes, I believe a dog is best and the pistol is backup. Unfortunately owning a dog or having it with you all the time is not always practical.

20. harleysilo

harleysilo New Member

Just curious, has you wife shot a gun yet?