Not sure what to do.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by james mcintosh, Jun 11, 2020.

1. james mcintosh

james mcintosh New Member

Hello folks,I am unsure what to do.I want to buy a firearm but I have some M2 on my record that are 20+ years old.I like to have them removed and I am unsure what to do.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Talk to an attorney in your state to see what your options are.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

James
    I completely agree with Gator. Although I have to claim ignorance! What is an M-2?

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I surmise that to be Misdemeanor - 2nd degree.

Sniper03 likes this.
  5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

It would depend on what state you are in & what laws they have. As far as federal you have to be a felon to stop you from even filling out the paperwork much less owning a firearm.
    If it were me I would contact a lawyer in your area just to be safe.

6. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

welcome, as gator advised, seek legal criminal counsel in your area, but as a point, if you feel comfortable, might you provide background such as state, e.g., live in same state or different state as your M2s; convicted or slap on the wrist; overview of offenses; (uh definition of "some" M2); definition of "firearm" (handgun, rifle, shotgun) you wish to purchase...to provide an non attorney conversation out here!

7. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

welcome to the board James. :)

best advice you'll ever get, get legal counsel

8. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The federal background check form specifically asks about felony convictions. Read form 4473 and see if it applies to your situation to begin with. Then start by calling the ATF, they will tell you where you stand.

primer1 and towboater like this.
  9. Nmwabbit

alas, since there is no clarity on the OP's M2 offenses per se.; as well as what, if any, punishment the OP's judicial system imposed; and w/o a State to reference their statutory guidance it is difficult to put out any commentary regarding if the Federal guidelines are pertinent!

further, federally, some citizens might not be considered prohibited but rather State statutory mandates might!

10. Nmwabbit

usc 922.(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person-

(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

and M2 means what from the OP's post?

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  11. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

the way it reads....convicted or ANY CRIME where a judge can impose a sentence of 1 year or more even if he gave you a shorter sentence

just about any 2nd degree misdemeanor conviction carries a 1 year or more sentence on the books, but that varies state to state and crime to crime

yeah, best to seek legal counsel where you stand, you might get it expunge, set aside or a pardon.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  12. Nmwabbit

hummm, PA statutory offenses...
    Class 2 or B: Fines up to $1,000, and/or up to six months in jail;

Ohio > up to to 90 days...

GA > six months

IN > +/- 180 days

13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Gee, I know nothing, but let me gas on for a few paragraphs.

AgedWarrior, Gatoragn and Mercator like this.
  14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

There are exemptions to that Sherman. They are listed in the information section of the 4473, and list a whole slew of things.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Stater level misdemeanors, are generally exempt, as are certain federal felonies. Third page, right side, three paragraphs worth of reading material, that clearly states this, and also applies to those under indictment for such misdemeanors. Which applies to both 11b, and 11c.

Proof of concept, I answered yes to the indictment question, on a 4473, and the PA form for handgun transfer today, and guess what. Passed the PICS\NICS check, in under 2 minutes, and left with a nice little 3.5 inch Heritage Rough Rider combo, white pearl bird's head grip. I didn't even have the forms fully filled out yet, and was honest with the clerk. Zero issues.

State law is where you see the variation here, as a class 1 misdemeanor, like agravated assault, rather than an M2 of simple assault, the outcome would be a denial.

NY, the outcome might have been different. Pre Unsafe Act, your Permit was your NICS check. Not anymore. I have a friend who had an outstanding misdemeanor from when he lived in FL, 30 YEARS earlier, who never had any issues buying pistols, and adding them to his and his wife's, permits. The day he went to buy a 10/22 for his daughter, Denied. He had to take a couple weeks off from work, drive down there, go to court, and straighten it out. No problems after that, as that was the only thing on his record.

Now, with mandatory NICS checks, it would have been found, and rectified, sooner. That one was a class one, from a drunken night, long forgotten. Plea bargain, fine paid, all was good again.

What we don't see in the OP is, what state he lives in. that information matters.

15. Nmwabbit

A drive by poster...

MisterMcCool likes this.