Not strong enough...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bizy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I haven't had the best health for a few years. I can't work the action to chamber a round. Now, Question, Can I use a smaller/weaker recoil spring? Will a weaker spring cause the slide to slam against the end of the cycle and break something? Any suggestions are welcome..

Thanks in advance..

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would think that by dropping the weight of the recoil spring you would also have to change the round you shoot.

Have you thought about going to a revolver?

3. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Is it the strength to grip the slide, or the strength to pull the slide back what you lack?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Perhaps an extended charging handle or similar attachment would allow you to use some of your larger arm muscles ratherr than the ones in your hand.

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

You did not state what make and caliber pistol you have, but to answer your question, no, it would not be wise to go with a reduced power spring with the same ammo. If you are having problems with racking the slide as it is, you would still have the same problem with a reduced power spring. If you use it for home defense, you should have a round up the pipe and ready to go anyway. You can also use the rear sight to rack the slide one handed. You can use a belt and /or a holster, or the edge of any hard surface (with your finger off the trigger), snag the rear sight and with a downward push, rack the slide. This is a great technique for one handed shooters. It takes less strength to do a downward pust than using your other hand to pull the slide back. It will take some practice (unloaded), but is well worth a try. If not, I would suggest going with a revolver.

Jim.........

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Good advice above ^^^^. :cool:

I would recommend a revolver as well, or a semi-auto shotgun. Both you just load, point and shoot.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Great thought, indeed! :)