Not fit for consumption

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by michigan0626, May 12, 2012.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Question for you guys. While looking at the animals that Florida has hunting seasons for, I saw some that I didnt realize Florida had. They have seasons for otter, coyote, bobcat, beaver, etc. I didnt even think Florida had some of these animals. While looking around a little bit, one thing that I noticed is that some of these animals people kill, yet dont eat them. While Ive never hunted, I have always had the mentality that you eat what you kill. But one quote that I saw more than once is "I dont eat animals that eat other animals."

When googling to see what coyote or bobcat tastes like, the general consesus is that it smells and tastes like ***. That people shoot em, skin em, then leave em. But other animals, such as bear, its seemed like 50/50 whether they liked it enough to eat it or not.

I do have a bunch of buddies here that regularly hunt boar here in Central Florida. They all say that the bigger the pig, the nastier it tastes; and that the only edible ones are under 80 pounds. I would say I am perfectly alright killing some hogs and letting them feed our local vulture population. They absolutely destroy farms.

So my question is: What animals are you ok with shooting and not consuming?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Coyotes, groundhogs, feral cats are my big three in Ohio. I'll kill starlings and grackels too.

3. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Everything mentioned in the previous posts, and opossum. Nasty looking f ers!
    Thomas

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Coons, some people eat them....not me. Greasy little things.

5. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

crows, i shoot them but i dont eat them

6. kytowboater

Or possum and skunks, shoot both, won't eat em.

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I forgot to mention those stinkers. I am always catching them in the cage traps. I hate them. Whew they stink!

Thomas

8. kytowboater

One of the dogs dragged one into the barn one night. Was NOT happy with that doggy.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We had some neighbors whose dog got skunked one night. He was scratching at their bedroom slider and they let him in before they realized he had been sprayed.:mad:

Some people eat dogs and I have heard of them eating stray house cats. People have also eaten rats and I dont mean squirrels.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What do I shoot that I don't eat? Prairie dogs, groundhogs, crows, possums and raccoons (have eaten both, don't like them) venomous snakes too close to my domicile, and trespassers.

OK, was just kidding about the trespassers.

But you have to marinate them a long time. Or use the Crockpot.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And a serious response- some animals are fur bearers. They are not taken for meat, but for fur. Some animals (rabbit and squirrel notably) can go both ways, but animals such as muskrat and mink would taste really, REALLY bad. Fox likewise. I leave skunks alone. Would not eat armadillo, nor handle a carcass. I have this thing about Hansen's Disease.......:eek:

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Prairie Dogs were considered a fine meat by early hunters on the High Plains. Lewis & Clarks men set hooks on fishing lines at night to catch the "Sod Puppies". :eek:

13. kytowboater

I've never eaten them, but I would try them.

14. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I'll try anything once, but swamp rabbits are high on the list of won't eat unless I'm starving. I was raised that if you shoot it you eat it, my old man had a few exceptions for that rule, mostly crow and other birds but as far as coyote's and such we fed those damn things to dogs if they would eat it.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I was raised like you, as well.

I suppose that if hunger was great enough, people would learn to eat anything.

Mexican goat tastes awfully nasty, but they have a spicy sauce they put on it down there that makes it taste pretty good. I ate a lot of goat on my last trip down to LaPaz in Baja.

If you are growing crops or raising farm animals, I suppose killing foxes and coyotes is ok.

And if lions are killing the majority of your deer herd, it makes perfect sence to depredate them. I'm glad someone else wants to hunt the lions though, because it would just be work and not fun for me.

I only get excited about hunting or fishing for food.

Of course, if I were living on a ranch or farm, and predatory animals were taking my animals or crops, then sure, I would hunt down crows, foxes, coyotes, and lions and kill them, sure.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Theyre just bigger rodents. So are squirrels. I have eaten squirrel meat, and it tastes pretty good. Similar to rabbit, just a bit darker meat.

You need to bake it or simmer it for at least two hours to make it tender enough to eat. But with onions and carrots and potatoes in the pot, it makes a meal that would make even Yosemite Sam's mouth water.

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

There may someday come a time when trespassers are the only meat source available!?

So better to know how to field dress and marinade them also.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t just kill anything without a reason & I don`t hunt something just because I can.............

19. rickyp8888

rickyp8888 New Member

I dont kill anything unless its going to hurt me or feed me

20. kycol

kycol New Member

Usually never kill anything I don't eat unless I know someone who will eat it. Used to dove hunt and I have never eaten one but gave the to someone that did. I have however killed venomous snakes around the house and will bust a coyote in a heart beat as they are getting too thick around here and will attack and kill anything they can. I would only kill anything else only if it became a threat to the safety of my family or pets.