NOT cleaning stainless steel revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by misterballistic, Nov 9, 2010.

1. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

I got my first stainless steel revolver and got the ol' ring of powder burns by the cylinder chambers after firing it. That's okay as it was expected.

I've Googled on "how to clean it" to death and it seems that most methods people suggest to get rid of the ring involves mild abrasives like polishes...even erasers!

Another camp of people say to just leave it alone because you don't want to unnecessarily take off ANY steel even if it's just on the surface.

Of course, I did wipe it and gently scour it with a soft toothbrush dipped in Hoppes 9 then lightly wipe it with a silicone cloth just to get rid of any grit and grime.

Is there any harm in leaving the burn rings be?

Thanks!

MB

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Some discoloration is normal as this area is subjected to lots of heat. All I do is scrub with a toothbrush and solvent to make sure there's no real buildup of residue. If it gets bad, pop off the cylinder and let it soak in solvent...

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My only gun is a stainless steel revolver and that happened to my gun, too. I just consider it normal wear from use. But I think some people recommended to me a 'lead cloth'. I was told not to use it on a blued gun because it will remove the bluing but it is okay to use it on a stainless steel gun. I have come across a 'lead cloth' yet to buy one but here is a link to it.

Tipton Metal Magic Rust and Lead Remover Gun Cleaning Cloth - MidwayUSA

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I use a brass brush (like a toothbrush) with bore cleaner and it does a pretty good job removing the residue without impacting the steel.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

"Lead Away" cloth helps. Some discoloration is just a natural occurrence.

6. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

I've been using 0000 steel wool soaked in solvent. Works great, doesn't harm the finish at all. Also use it to blend touch up blueing.

7. misterballistic

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge based on all your combined experiences (which far exceed mine), I think I'll just let it be for now. As long as it doesn't affect the gap between the cylinder and the barrel then I'm fine with it.

If I come across Lead Away maybe I'll give it a try. I also hear that a household cleaner called Barkeeper's Friend is recommended as a non-abrasive cleaner for cleaning stainless steel pots and pans that get heat burned. Not sure how well it works. I'll also try Googling what motorcyclists use to polish discolored exhaust tips.

Mostly, I'll worry about cosmetics, and shining 'er up, if I ever decide to sell it - a stainless GP100 in .357with 4 inch barrel. Highly unlikely because, wow, is it fun to shoot. Sorry, but I find my semi-autos are boring to shoot now!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

That's exactly what I do

9. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I just use the lead remover cloth. 5 seconds of rubbing and its gone.

10. misterballistic

Okay you guys sold me on trying Lead Away. It seems to be non-abrasive.

I'll give it a try and post the results.

THANKS!

11. RTMiller

RTMiller New Member

Ditto. Works every time.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

FLITZ with a soft cloth, and in seconds the GSR is gone...

13. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

Also....

...try Flitz polish. But it might make the front of your cylinder so shiny, it will out flash the rest of the finish! Then you will have to do the WHOLE gun!

14. winds-of-change

I'd like to try that. I want my 'baby' to shine. I'm afraid of ruining the finish, though. Is there anything that WILL ruin the finish on a stainless steel gun?

15. Jay

Jay New Member

Stainless doesn't mean it won't rust, just that it takes longer for a stainless gun to rust. If you carry the gun, wipe it down nightly with a silicone cloth, or a cloth that has been misted with rig, corrosion X, or similar protectant. Don't store the gun in it's holster. The leather can hold moisture and transfer it to the gun. Don't let cleaning solvents "sit" on the gun. Always follow a solvent with a light oiling.

Just my two cents.....

Here's a link to some polishes for stainless firearms.

Cleaning and brightening stainless steel gun finishes | The Polish Guy - Polishing Videos Instructions - Polishing Tutorials, Tips and Techniques

16. misterballistic

I did try some Flitz I had laying around (use it for cutlery and for polishing plastics) by gently rubbing with a Q-Tip and soft cloth but it didn't really help. Maybe I needed to buff more but I don't want to scour it too much.

The Flitz DID help shine up some dull areas due to manufacturing like the area between the barrel and the frame. Just lightly buffed it with a Dremel soft felt tip set on a very slow speed.

I couldn't find Lead-Away at my local gun store so I ended up ordering some on the internet. I'll try it when it arrives otherwise I'm not too concerned with a bit of the flash burn on the front of the cylinder since it's common.

But all the tips are appreciated.

17. bighosscat

bighosscat New Member

I have used Hoppe's Lead Remover cloth for many years on stainless finishes to removed the residue on the front of revolver cylinders. When the problem was at its worst I have used a bit of Flitz on the cloth. I have never experienced any damage to the finish of a stainless firearm.

18. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I use a green scrubbie. It does not remove everything, but does a pretty good job.

19. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

True dat!:D
    My stainless guns always get the Flitz treatment (that's liquid Flitz & a soft cloth, nothing abrasive) before my cleaning ritual is finished. Cylinders that are easy to pop off, are always removed & rubbed clean. Cylinders that aren't easy to remove will generally be cleaned while still on the gun. This method doesn't usually get the same results as removing the cylinder, but it's better than just leaving it alone.

My Security Six for example, looks like this after each range trip clean-up. I like my stainless guns to shine.:)

[​IMG]

20. winds-of-change

Oh, man!! I want my gun to look like that. I'm gonna have to get some of that Flitz stuff. Where do you get it? Is it a gun product sold only at gun shops or is it a household product?