Not bad for 426 yards

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Crazycastor, May 5, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Finally got to take my Savage hunter 111 out to shoot. These are my final shots at 426 yards shooting 30-06. Let me tell you, my should hurts really bad. My brother shot just as well as I did.

Attached Files:

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Good shooting!

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

4. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea its funny how one bullet will just kick the snot out of you and the next one isn't so bad. I swear there was some hot loads in those boxes of bullets from Winchester lol

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty good... But I always set my targets at 427 yards. :p

6. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea but there was a mountain in our way lol

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What size is the group? It seems to be stringing high. Most likely bedding issue as barrel heats up. :)

8. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I don't know the size of the group. Not sure if I know how to measure it. It was windy and having a hard time shooting between the gust of wind plus my shoulder was killing me by the time we got that far out. I was just glad I was hitting the target. This is my first real time taking it out since I bought it.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea I might have to bed the action. At 300 yards it was kinda doing the same thing but not nearly as bad as the last shots. I'm not planning to shoot out that far when hunting. But when I have a shot between 100 and 300 I want that bullet to hit where its suppose to. Anything past 300 yards your adjusting the scope and by then the deer is gone.

10. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I have that same rifle, just with a Leopold VXII and Reaper rings on it. I always thought the recoil was kind of light for a 30-06, I run max power handloads through mine all the time. I have mine shooting right at 1/2" with RL19 and 150gr Accutips. I don't use it on these smallish southern whitetail anymore since it makes such a mess of them, but my brother uses it all the time.

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Castor, how loud are you when you click a turret?? LOL!

Seriously, what is the optic on top of the 111?

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Well its not loud when you click the turret, its just how many time you have to spin it around. The bullet drops a lot after 300 yards. I almost run out of adjustment room to get to the 400 yard mark on my scope. The scope is the one that came with it, its a Bushnell 3x9x 40. Definately going to have to get a better scope. I might have tweeked the springs on this one. Won't know till I re-zero it back to 200 yards.

13. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Hey Apex, I,ve never shot a deer with a 30-06 but my brother and I were both wondering what kind a damage it would do to mule deer. We shot some milk jugs filled with water and it just blew those things us and shredded the plastic into little pieces. Planning on reloading for next years deer hunt. Should we load for a slower bullet say 165 grain for mule deer?

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

For hunting Mule deer a zero of 250 yards is normal. You can sight your rifle in at 2" high at 100 yards. This will put your POI at 250 yards more or less. Then fire at 300 yards very small change will be needed.
    The hydraulic effect of shooting water jugs is different than well placed shots on a deer. The traditional lung shot will not result in high hydraulics and blood shot meat. :)

15. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I would say that's some pretty good shooting with a cheap scope in the wind.

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Excellent. What scope are you using? A rifle is only as good as your scope in my opinion.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Crazy,

That is some good shooting. If what I see is an accurate representation of the target size wise with the Black Center Square being "one inch square?" That group figures right around 1 1/2 MOA group at 420 yards. That is Great! Maybe I missed it, but what round were you shooting? I know it was 30-06 cal.
    Nice Target! Great Shooting!

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Onenut, haven't you heard yet?

It's not the equipment, it's how you use it.

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's what she said.

20. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

On a larger mule deer the 30-06 starts coming into it's own, meat damage is not too excessive on game that sized especially if you can keep it in the neck or behind the shoulder. 165gr is a good all around weight but load what your rifle likes to shoot, some rifles just like certain bullet weights/models. For my 165gr Game Kings I have had my best results with 57gr of IMR4350, but that is an extra stout load so be sure you are comfortable with 30-06 recoil before you try and hunt with those. How bad can the meat damage be with a 30-06 on small deer.....Well the last two we neck shot with it nearly had their head removed by the bullet, one had to be hung by his hind legs to skin him since skin was the only thing holding his head on, put one of those through the shoulders and you might as well throw the whole front half of the deer away.
    Nice thing about handloading is you can tweek them however you like, I could easily tone my 30-06 down to mild 308 level performance and cut back on the damage that my loads do, but in reality I have a 6.5x55 and 7mm-08 that are already perfect for that role, why mess with 30-06 perfection when there is larger game to hunt?

Last edited: May 8, 2013