Not a revolver guy but....

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by chlogeo, Dec 26, 2011.

1. chlogeo

chlogeo New Member

... I was wondering how one carries extra rounds when one is carrying concealed. To me the revolver is much slower at reload than a pistol.

Your opinion please.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

chlogeo.

There are a couple of options when it comes to reloading the revolver.

1. The best being "Speed Loaders". You can go on line and look them up. They are by far the fastest and easiest way to load a Revolver (Cylinder Gun).
    You simple open the cylinder on your pistol, pop the spent casings out, insert the tips of the bullets in the speed loader into the cylinder and push the center button on the
    Speed Loader which drops all 6 or 5 rounds depending on the pistols capacity into the cylinder. Then you shut the cylinder
    2. The next is what they call a dump pouch. They are made of leather and fit on your pants belt. The Rounds are usually placed in the pouch bullet first in a single horizontal
    position then the pouch folds up and snaps hold it closed. When loading, you pop the snaps. The pouch folds out and dumps the rounds out into your hand. If you practice with
    it you can get fairly fast and learn how to keep the rounds from getting turned around in your hand in the wrong direction when loading with the Dump Pouch.

And the Strips Scott advised of!

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I dont carry one on my person but a 357 six shooter lives in my truck along with 3 speedloaders :)

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

After carrying for many many years I have become Mr. Practical. I have never had to to draw, let alone fire my gun. I have noticed my carry gun has changed many times thru the years. And the trend has been to lighter and lighter guns. Some were autos and some were revolvers. I have never carried extra ammo on my person. My currant is a lightweight J-frame. I feel that if I need more than the five accurate shots, I would be in trouble no matter what handgun I had. Your mileage may vary. JMHO

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Sniper and Scott are spot on. Another thing you could do is buy a pistol cartridge belt slide. It's basically a small section of leather with cartridge loops on it that can slide on your belt.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

What kind of battle do you anticipate? Won't 6 or 7 rounds be enough for 99.999867% of events? If one carries a pistol, how would one cover the 0.000133% of events that the revolver can't cover with a full cylinder? Carry one extra mag? Why not two, three, or four mags?

So if you really "need" abundant rounds, carry a WWB in a modified trap belt, or a cowboy style loop belt with 20 rounds...both would be silly and of not much practical use sans going to the Alamo.

Those Harry Potterfield videos where he rates personal protection handguns are pretty interesting. He does not even consider reloading speed, just time to first hit, follow up hits, and knock down power.

7. mcb

mcb New Member

I sometimes carry a j frame 5 shot or 6 shot 686, I have a few speedloaders for each but only use them at the range. In most civilian situations that is more than enough, the first choice should always be to remove yourself from the situation. Most situations that would require reloading probably could be avoided or escaped after a few shots.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Massad Ayoob demonstrating how to use speed strips.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAXlT3ZLzs]037 Massad Ayoob Demonstrates how to Reload the Revolver with the Bianchi "Speed Strip" - YouTube[/ame]

9. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I'm with hiwall on this one. Be proficient with what you carry. I carry a Colt detective special and feel comfortable with six shots if needed. Best regards Dick

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

When I'm carrying one of my .357s I carry either 12 or 14 loose rounds in my front right pants pocket, two speed strips in a cell phone holder on my belt, and a Ruger LCP in an ankle holster. I learned how to shoot combat on the old Practical Pistol Course where you started off with 60 loose rounds in your strong side front pocket. With a 6 shot revolver I can still do 12 rounds in K5 under 11 seconds, but I've had over 30 years of practice.

When I carry my 1911 I carry two spare mags on my belt, and a spare mag in my right front pants pocket. Thirty years of practice to do things one way can also be a bad thing, so I try to be prepared. If my hand goes into my pocket to grab ammo, there better be something besides lint in there.

Oh, yeah. It's 2 complete reloads with 12 rounds for a five shot, and 14 rounds if you're carrying a 6 shot revolver. Murphy's law is alive and well. You're sure to drop one or two rounds.

11. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

There might be a time were you may encounter a gang or a flash mob scenario where 5 rounds may not be enough. Yes most gang bangers will flee after the first shot but what IF???

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't bother with speed loaders or strips. it's my risk to take, but I don't think I'll ever need them.

If you think revolvers are slow, youtube jerry miculek.

13. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

He is fast but I feel Bob Munden is faster.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcZHVspVIDs]Fastest Gun Ever - Bob Munden - YouTube[/ame]

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh, Bob Munden is the shizznit (that's right, I used that "word") but both are amazing examples of lightning speed with a revolver.

I'd like to see Munden speed reload his single actions. I'll bet he's faster than I am with a semi auto, and I'm fairly quick with a semi. I'll never win an award though.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

must have some practice to do this....

[ame=http://youtu.be/lLk1v5bSFPw]World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds - YouTube[/ame]