Not a good day shooting

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dalefan88, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Took her out shooting today. Fired three shots then click. Took it apart and the buffer retainer and spring were sitting in the trigger assembly. It's a bushmaster carbon-15. Bushmaster is sending new parts for free.

2. vincent

vincent New Member

Still better than workin'...;)

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Sorry to hear that......what a buzz kill. Hate planning a shoot and having a gun go down. Suxors. T_T

Any idea how it got out? Did your buffer tube work loose? Was the castle nut staked?

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well you're right, the glass IS half full!!! :D

5. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

that's true. Just my ar is down for a week till parts come. This is the first problem I ever had with a gun and only 100rds thru it.

6. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I cleaned it and just pulled the buffer out and pushed the pin down after cleaning and put buffer back in.

7. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

image-2650116696.jpg

Here is a pic of the hole. I don't see nothing wrong with it.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I do. The lip or forward edge of the buffer tube is supposed to be going over the buffer retainer. That's what holds the retainer into place. If you put another retainer in there right now, it'll just pop back out again.

The buffer tube should be screwed in so that the foward edge partially covers the retainer. The castle nut should be staked to the end plate so that buffer tube cannot back out and release the retainer.

When you do reinstall that retainer, stake that castle nut or at least loctite that bad boy.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

BTW what exactly is Bushy sending you?

10. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

a new spring and pin. I see where your talking about now. Do the tube just screw in more. Sorry I'm a ar newbie.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

You're talkin' to the right guy...Tikki has forgotten more about that platform than most of us will ever know...:cool:

12. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Ok I took my lower back off. If I grab the grip with on hand and I can wiggle the stock with the other.

13. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Ok I'm learning here. I just loosed the lock nut with my hand. I'm sure it suppose to be tighter than that.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The the lock nut (castle nut) SHOULD NOT BE LOOSE. It should be tightened down holding the end plate tight against the reciever where the indentation on the rear of the receiver prevents it from turning.

First insert the retainer and spring into the the lower reciever (the hole in the picture above). Use your finger to hold it into place as your twist the buffer tube until it goes over the top of the retainer pin (but not past the nipple in the middle).

Then make sure the detent and spring for your rear takedown pin is in place (it goes in a hole in the rear of the receiver) and slide the endplate down the buffer tube to it pushed the spring into the hole and fits into the indentation on the back of the reciever.

Then hand tighten the castle nut as tight as possible. Finish it off with stock wrench. You really should stake the nut in place. But if you are like me and like to change stuff around or are just a little lazy, make some marks with a sharpie indexing the position of the castle nut to the end plate. Check it periodically, like when you lube ur bcg, or at the start of a shoot or when you take it down for clean.

You don't need another retainer or spring, but if Bushy's already sending you one, it never hurts to have spare. Becareful tho, that little retainer might just grown into a new ALLOY AR15 someday....:rolleyes:

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

BTW I'm guessing that the reason the retainer got out is because the buffer tube backed out when the castle nut got loose.

My cousin had the same problem with his brand new Stag. Almost ended the day. It was a real pain trying to even get that upper off his lower.

In the end....STAKE YOUR NUTS BOYZ.:D

16. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I'll apply your advice to guns and nothing more. :p

17. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

lmao. I got it all ready for the new parts. Thanks for all the help and info.

18. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Just got the parts in the mail from bushmaster. Got it back up and running. Thanks for all the help.