Noslers Bend Or plant BLEW UP.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Jun 3, 2010.

  1. cpttango30

    cpttango30 New Member

    Seen this on another message board I belong to. index

    Amid Blast Probe, Nosler Vows to Reopen Bend Plant - News Story - KTVZ Bend

    BEND, Ore. -- Investigators returned to Nosler Inc.’s southwest Bend bullet factory Thursday morning to begin looking for the cause of Wednesday’s large explosion and fire, which all 100 or so workers escaped just moments before. But first, authorities worked to make sure the building was safe to enter, and that no explosive materials inside posed a danger.
    Zach Waterman, the company’s public relations director, told news partner KBND Radio the company was cooperating fully with investigators, and that supervisors and staff were on hand to answer any questions they have. But he was unable to yet say whether or when any production might resume in the standing part of the plant.
    Nosler issued a statement Thursday afternoon noting, "A significant finished goods inventory was stored in a separate building and will enable Nosler to meet short-term customer needs."
    It quoted CEO Bob Nosler as saying: "Our No. 1 priority, after our people and our premises, is to repair the plant and to get our employees back to work as soon as possible."
    Manufacturing workers were home on standby Thursday morning, but Waterman said no workers have lost their jobs and they will make the next payroll. A telephone "tree" was set up to keep employees informed
    "We're still in business - it didn't destroy anything," he said. "We can rebuild the building - that's not a problem. We're just blessed that everyone made it out safe and sound."
    Bend Fire Inspector Jeff Bond said an aerial ladder was brought in to closely inspect the remaining roof for structural stability, and that they hope investigators might be able to begin entering the building. He also confirmed the company was cooperating fully, providing requested resources and assistance.
    "Well, for Bend, it's unprecedented with this kind of event," Bond said. "So it's kind of new to us. But like I say, we want people who have done this kind of thing frequently. And it's very educational for us - and safety is No. 1."
    Bond also said Oregon State Police Bomb Squad was brought in, to be sure that black powder or any other potentially explosive materials were safely secured, before the investigation proceeds further. Other agencies involved on scene included Oregon OSHA, the Department of Environmental Quality and the federal Bureau of Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    Next door, Mt. Bachelor's corporate offices were closed for the day. A worker's car was smashed by falling debris.
    The massive explosion sent shock waves through southwest Bend Wednesday afternoon, but a quick evacuation helped save all 100 workers inside. Now, investigators are trying to figure out what happened
    It all happened around 2:15 p.m. inside the 22-year-old, 80,000-square-foot Nosler Inc. building on SW Columbia Street near Simpson Avenue.
    When it happened, many feared the worst, but incredibly, everyone made it out of the building safely.
    For Bella Blackney, saying what she experienced was too close to home may be an understatement.
    “I just remember driving through the smoke and couldn't see anything,” Blackney said. “The plume was really big actually, like the size of a house.”
    She saw the smoke billowing out of the Nosler building, a little more than a football field from her home.
    “All the sudden, the house shakes and the glasses rumbling and all the windows,” Blackney said. “All the glass shook, it was visible. I thought a bomb went off.”
    “I was just down the street," said Waterman. "And I came back to see that, and my jaw hit the floor,”
    Waterman says the trouble originated in the building's underground ammunition testing area.
    “One of the gentlemen that was downstairs saw a bright flash of light,” Waterman said. “He alerted everyone and pulled the fire alarm.”
    A Nosler worker told us off-camera he didn't even realize anything was wrong, He thought it might have just been a fire drill when everyone was evacuated.
    But once he got outside, he quickly realized something was wrong. He saw the big orange plumes of smoke coming out of the building. Then the explosion happened, and how he described it was, the roof rose up and then fell right back down.
    Witnesses say the explosion was felt by people all over the immediate area. some as far away as a half-mile or more.
    Much of the area around the building was closed off Wednesday because there are potentially still some combustible materials inside that could set off another explosion.
    Investigators from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with Oregon State Police and Bend fire investigators, gathered at the blast scene Thursday morning, working to figure out what triggered the explosion.
    Bond said fire crews arrived to find extensive damage to the southeast corner of the building and brownish-yellow smoke pouring from the damaged area.
    A fire special rescue operations team combed the wreckage to be sure all workers were accounted for, while city building officials helped evaluate the damage and hazards for crews performing mop-up and overhaul operations.
    Bond also said the quick evacuation by workers was "instrumental in a safe and effective exit from the structure."
    "The company instituted and practiced building evacuations over the years, and this policy paid off today," Bond said in a news release.
    A damage figure still was being compiled for a facility valued at $2.8 million for the structure and $10 million worth of contents, but Bond said it clearly was "pretty extensive."
    Columbia Street remained shut into the evening hours. Firefighters asked the public to avoid the area for their safety and that of emergency workers.
    Bend Fire did a personnel callback to ensure adequate staffing and called in Redmond and Sunriver firefighters for mutual aid coverage of the North and South stations.
    The explosion buried at least one evacuated worker's car in debris.
    One nearby resident described the blast as like "feeling a bomb inside your house." After her house shook violently, she looked out to see a huge plume of orange smoke.
    Barb Gonzalez at first thought it was an earthquake, when her house was jolted by the blast. "This one felt like a 5.5 (magnitude) jolt", said the survivor of the 1994 Northridge quake in California. Her second thought was an explosion.
    People several blocks away said the explosion rattled their office windows.PrintEmail
  2. Gordo323

    Gordo323 New Member

    Wow what a bummer! I use their 160 gr. spitzers for my favorite 7 mm mag loads. I'll go buy more tomorrow to show support, or maybe just hoard in case production is slowed!

  3. CA357

    CA357 New Member Supporter

    That sucks, but thankfully no one was injured. Hopefully they'll all get back to work soon.
  4. doctherock

    doctherock New Member

    I said in the prayer thread that I'm glad my father didnt get the machinist job there. Even though we dont talk much anymore due to differences He is no less my father.
  5. dunerunner

    dunerunner New Member

    Glad no one was hurt and I know they will work hard to get up and operating again.