Northern IL gun clubs?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BelRockRebel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Looking for places that will help this girl try different handguns. Looking to buy one now, have gone to my local shop, and looked at .38s, .45s, semis and revolvers. Got lots of great info, but want to actually try some out. Thinking revolver.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

where ya at in northern ill??

3. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Belvidere/Rockford aka BelRock!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

your not tooooo far from my stomping grounds.

there is an indoor range over in racine wiconsin with lots of rental guns. i frequent that range your welcome to try a few out of my collection as well.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Bel, I live in Genoa. Not far from you. My son lives in Belvidere. I have gone shooting with Jon and I have also been to the indoor range he is referring to. I know one of the guys who works at that indoor range and he is a great guy who would love to help you try out a few guns. When I was very new here, I met the guy at the indoor range (he used to be a forum member here) and he brought guns in for me to shoot from a .22 all the way up to a .45, a couple shot guns and the grand finale (after he saw that I had a LITTLE gun knowledge) he brought out a full auto Tommy gun for me to shoot. You couldn't smack that smile off my face for a week.

Anyway, if you are interested, I would gladly accompany you to the indoor range in Racine or even to the wonderful outdoor range Jon shoots at. I have met Jon, gone shooting with him and even bought a gun from him. Well, it was such a good deal it was almost like I stole it from Jon. :D

Let me know if you'd like to get together and go shooting either at the indoor range in Racine or the outdoor range with Jon. If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

And you'd be very welcome to shoot the two guns I have. A GP100 revolver and a Mark II pistol. I look forward to meeting you in the near future.

And, by the way, the drive to Racine is a nice, peacful ride on country roads.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Go check out GAT Guns in Dundee. It's on Hwy 25 just north of I-90. Should be about 30 minutes from you.

The selection is enormous, and they have an indoor range where you can try it all. Unfortunately for me, they don't play well with non-Illinois residents... stupid FOID restrictions. :mad:

My sister's family gets all their guns there and speaks highly of them.

GAT GUNS - FIREARMS SUPERSTORE

7. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

You all are so nice! Unfortunately, Shooters, if that's where you were sending me, is 2 hours away. Way to far for me. Gat Guns, I am familiar with, I grew up in that area. I have heard from several people, including my Dad and my local gun shop, that they are extremely expensive. I know there are a couple places in Rockford, Pinetree Pistol Club, and one other that escapes my mind. I was just wondering if eithor of those would be mentioned here by members.

Winds of change, just curious, are you a guy or girl?

Jon, thanks for the offer to let me try your guns, very kind of you!

8. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Winds of change, thank you also for your offer! To be honest, I know my husband would kick my heinie to the next county if I set up a meeting without him. Hope you all understand. But I do hope to meet all of you in the future!

9. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

She's all woman. :D

Does the Bullet Stop Gunshop in Rockford still have a little indoor range?

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You don't have to buy the stuff at GAT, but I doubt you'll find someplace else with as much stuff to try out.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

if mcmiller in eagle wisconsin is closer you and your hubby are welcome to try some of mine but i cant take them to ill. i cant shoot pistols there without a foid.

12. winds-of-change

Bel, I'm female.

I have shot at Pine Tree Pistol Club and also at The Bullet Stop in Loves Park. There is also a great range in Sycamore, Illinois called The Sportsman's Club. I haven't been there yet but it also is open to the public one or two days a month. That is where the police in my town do their range time.
    Pine Tree is open two Sundays a month to non-members. The Bullet Stop takes appointments for range time.

I very much enjoy meeting some of the members here in 'real life' and doing some shooting and getting some good 'lessons' from them.

Let me know if you and your husband want to come join me some time. I know it's a bit of a drive to Wisconsin to shoot with Jon but it is a pleasant drive and a lot of fun. Jon is a very fun guy to shoot with. He's as friendly as all get out and can teach you a lot. When I go to Wisconsin to shoot, I just make a day of it. But I am single and my kids are all grown (youngest is 22) so I'm (finally) at the point in my life where I do what I want......when I want. :)

13. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

Go in to Bullet stop on Harlem rd in Loves Park, Anyone of the people there are more than happy to help, and the most fun part is...
    The indoor range, is right next to the shop not 20 feet from the door of the building..! Tammy or Teresa are two great ladies that have forgotten more about guns than I know now. I go there EXCLUSIVELY, during the cold or to just try out somthing. They are closed on Mondays though. Hope that helps...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  14. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I stand corrected.

Bullet Stop Gunshop is in Loves Park, IL - not Rockford.

I still stand by my statement about WOC however. :p;):D

15. winds-of-change

The Bullet Stop is where I bought my first gun and, indirectly, my second gun. I use their indoor range, too, but I prefer shooting outdoors.

[​IMG]

16. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

I so totally agree, It's much better on the ears... My Fiance and I just found a farmer that would work with us today, and are going to put together a small 100 yrd range locally. We have to finalize all the details, but we can keep you posted if you wish. Go ahead and send us a p.m.

17. winds-of-change

When I go shooting at The Bullet Stop, I don't like the fact that I am there alone. I am still pretty new to this hobby and I like to have a partner/mentor with me. If I am making mistakes, there is no one there to educate me.

I am VERY INTERESTED in learning more about this range you will be setting up. PM sent.

18. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

winds of change, Would you be willing to meey sometime at The Bullet Stop?

19. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Angry canary, I am interested!