North or South?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Gordo323, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I'm working in Kingsland, Ga. about 30 miles north of Jacksonville, Fla.

I have to take 2 mandatory days off next week. All expenses are paid (with the exception of alcohol, sluts, etc. etc.).

I've never been in this area before, so am looking for suggestions of what to do?

I'm thinking of going as far north as Savannah, Ga. and south as far as Daytona, Fla.

Just hoping for input of things not to miss, and good hotels.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

J-ville FL has some fully nude strip joints.
    Don't do that myself anymore, but you mentioned sluts....

3. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah, I don't do that much either, but thank's for the advice!
    I'm more into old towns and photography anymore, so am leaning towards Savannah, Ga................. I dunno :confused:

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Savannah sound nice. Have fun.

5. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I have always wanted to go to Savannah...seems like it would be a nice place to visit.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

How about St. Augustine, Florida, it's the oldest continuously occupied European-established city and port in the continental United States.

It's about 75 miles down I-95 from you.

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=fl's+oldest+city&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=40&gs_id=t&xhr=t&q=Kingsland,+Ga.+to+St.+Augustine,+Florida&qe=S2luZ3NsYW5kLCBHYS4gdG8gU3QuIEF1Z3VzdGluZSwgRmxvcmlkYQ&qesig=XAY0F_GDDg6bMNtubAQYjw&pkc=AFgZ2tn8p7lp7oxkkL9iW9dghn8veRKgSUCAlh4IUNKdE7nPyguwgcJ-elhlq7fkMp3Xot5OuZPJqvEhc5inuz-xvhOmbTUWVQ&newwindow=1&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=619&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZIOnTtWOAczogQf85vQT&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg]Kingsland, GA to St Augustine, FL - Google Maps[/ame]

Attached Files:

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

St. Augustine was gonna be my second suggestion. I been there on vacation many times, very, very cool old place. I believe it's the oldest spanish settlement in the US.

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

If you go there try and go on a ghost tour. St. Augustine is known for it paranormal activity...if you believe such a thing. Either way it would be a fun time with halloween around the corner.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

St. Augustine would also be my suggestion, then a quick trip, just a little further to Daytona Beach.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree, Gordo. St. Augustine is a 'must'. Post your pictures after you've gone there.

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

Savannah and St. Augustine are probably your best choices. There's also Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island.

Savannah has the old part of town, and you can take a trolley tour of the area. River Street has the shops, taverns, etc. You can find a bed & breakfast in walking distance of all that.

Fernandina Beach has very little of the "touristy" stuff. So if you just like the look and feel of an old, small town that's off the beaten path, you'll probably like it.

St. Augustine has more variety than the other two. The restored section that dates back to the Spanish and now has shops, restaurants, taverns, etc.; a number of tours; Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum; the Castillo de San Marcos (old fort) monument; the beach; and other stuff.

Have a great vacation!

12. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Go South!
    Savannah is Charlestons ugly little sister. If you go North, go to Chas.
    Florida has Jax, St. Augustine (the last bit of "old" Fla. on the East Coast), Daytona.
    In St. Aug., The Conch House is a must! The bar is halfway out the dock. In town, O.C. Whites. Good casual dinner, The Gypsy Cab.

13. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Hey, thank's for all the replies! :)
    Seems St. Augustine wins the majority here, so I just booked a room for two nights there next week.
    Now all I have to hope is for some good weather, but looks like there is a lot of museums and other indoor things to see if it is raining.
    Thank's again! I go South!

14. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

A sincere thumbs up, to all suggestions for St. Augustine!

Weather was perfect, a little windy at the top of the lighthouse!

I must have walked 20 miles and was dead tired at the end of the day, but well worth it! The old architecture was simply amazing!

Here's a few pics.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Food, man, food! Where did you eat?
    Pics make home sick. Beautiful.

16. ttdub

ttdub New Member

I live in Savannah. If you enjoy older areas in the US, Savannah is definitely your best bet. Haunted tours are always fun.

17. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Had lunch at Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill, blackened shrimp tacos, incredible!

Supper at Rhett's Piano Bar, awesome crabcakes!

Walked to town from the Holiday Inn on Ponce de Leon blvd., and walked back fairly hammered, carrying gifts I had bought, looking like the typical tourist, but never once felt unsafe.

18. steve666

steve666 New Member

If you are into "old towns" check out the oldest... St. Augustine, FL founded in 1565. St Augustine Florida