normal $$ amount for C&R license?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by okieboy, Jun 21, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So I'm considering getting a C&R license. I saw the initial fee is only $30 for a three year license? That's what it says on the application. Is it really that cheap? How long does the process take?

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

It is that cheap. I got mine back in about three months.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

I would figure 3 to 5 months. Seems BATF&E is kinda busy of late. I did the class 3 thing a few months ago and it took 7 months.

4. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Well I'm pretty excited to get a C&R license now

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

Another advantage is companies like Brownells and MidwayUSA gives you a dealer discount once you send them a copy of your C&R. I just looked on Brownells site and as an example a DPMS 18" CM bull barrel 308 upper (when in stock of course) is regular price $739.99 and 667.66 once they get a copy of your C&R. Its worth the trouble. Gun Parts Corp does the same thing.

6. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

There is a telephone number listed for inquiries and I called when I had not received my renewal back after 30 days, I was told it would be sent out that day. I received it 4 days later. If I remember correctly they suggested that you please to wait at least 60 days before making an inquiry.

Heck, it takes over six months to get a $200 tax stamp approval.

My question is; are they that back logged or they they just normal government workers and work at a snails pace. I would say the latter.:)

7. sofatater

sofatater New Member

I mailed my application on Jan. 14, 2013 and received my C&R on Mar. 9, 2013. I thought that was pretty quick for a government agency.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The cost of the license is nothing. The cost of owning the license will break a weak man. Gunbroker and UPS both sent me birthday cards. :)

9. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So now that I'm settled and trying to apply go figure the PDF won't even pop up on the BATF website. Like I have the newest adobe reader etc. but it won't download....hmmm another Obama conspiracy???? Lol

10. reloader762

reloader762 New Member

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I might be a browser problem. Try using Internet Explorer :( to down load the PDF.

12. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I got it downloaded. Once We've signed the contract for our house ill fill it out. My browser was just being stupid

13. reloader762

reloader762 New Member

Remember that the real cost of a C&R isn't the license fee, but rather what you spend once you have the license. You'll love going broke while saving money. ;-)

14. brianarrr

brianarrr New Member

Mine came back in less than a month back in june or so. Do it!

15. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So ive been super busy but I'm ready to mail in the application on Monday. One question. If I get a rifle with my C&R (let's say a Mosin ;)) can I then put a modern stock on that rifle and accurize it etc? Or does it have to stay in the stock format?

16. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Its always best to get the answer direct from the ATF. visit their website and give them a call they can answer all of your questions.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  17. bbertram

bbertram New Member

My license arrived in less than a month, also. 18 days from the day they charged my VISA card, it showed up in the mailbox. It's already cost me over $900 ( 2-sks and a CZ82) . You'll be sorry !! :)

18. okieboy

okieboy New Member

They cashed my check last week so well see when it gets here! And it'll be awhile before I can get anything. After Christmas shopping I'm broke. My next two paycheck a will just be to refill the coffers and get me through next semester. It'll be a ramen diet for awhile

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

The fact that they cashed your check doesn't really mean that much. They cashed mine pretty soon after they got it and it was still several months before I got my paperwork. Good luck.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Same deal on class 3 items . They cash your check a couple days after they receive it and then you might see your stamp in 9 months if your lucky . I have been waiting on one since March and still dont have it back yet