Norinco98 vs. Hawk982

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Guido, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Guido

Guido New Member

I've been reading all the posts about the Norinco shotguns on several different forums. It would appear that they are acceptable, if not equal to the more established names.

I like the sights on the 982... The 372 has a cool bottom ejection... H&R has a unique style receiver... and there's a second hand 98/20" at my local shop.

The first three I'll have to pay shipping/FFL fees, and the 98 I can get for about a Cnote less out the door.

My Q?
    Is there a quality issue with the earlier model 98 that I should steer clear of it?

thx, Guido

2. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I've only read good things about the norinco "clones" of our favorite shotguns. I thought long and hard about buying one myself.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I handled a Norinco 98 when they first came out. The action felt like it had a pound of sand in it. it was not nearly as nicley finished as an original Winchester. If their QC and finish work have improved since I would consider one.

4. Guido

Guido New Member

thx for the feedback,

I took the plunge... for $169 (plus tax) it came with 22" & 26" bbls. an improved choke and rifled choke. That's a lot of gun for the money.

Being new to shotguns, I decided not to buy any ammunition for it until I get to the range. Probably the best way to prevent an accident. :)

Guido

5. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

All the info I found on the net while researching them last year suggested a few tweaks to the gun. Some polishing, sanding, grinding will make it run real well.