Norinco SKS with removable mag?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Retiredfireguy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Retiredfireguy

Retiredfireguy New Member

I am pretty new to this site, and to SKS rifles. Yesterday, I came across a Norinco SKS with separate magazines. One appeared to be maybe 5-rounds, and the other 30-rounds. They looked like AK-47 mags to me, and were marked Made In China. This didn't look like some kind of conversion, but like it was a factory set-up. I always thought that the SKS only came with an attached 5-round magazine. Can anyone provide info on this gun? Thanks!

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm no SKS guru by any stretch, but it is my understanding that there were a couple of models that accepted standard AK magazines, the "M" and "D" model, if i recall correctly. Those models have a much higher resale value than the standard models.

I have a standard Norinco that will only accept "duck bill" magazines. These are removable, but have a weird top that fills the forward area previously filled by part of the non-removable stock mag. edit * duck bill mag: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG634-36.html

Wikipedia has one line about the AK mag SKS's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS#Variants Under variants.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Man nailed it. There were a very few MADE to accept detachable AK mags, and a bunch that have been "Bubbaed" up. BTW, the standard SKS is a 10 rd fixed mag.

4. Retiredfireguy

These mags did not have that duckbill. I don't know that they were actually AK mags, but they had that appearance. The gun itself had a wooden thumbhole stock and no bayonet, if that helps.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

They had 2 models that came out that accepted AK mags, the D-model (a pre-ban), wasn't really a particular model at all, but a tag that gun dealers put on ANY SKS that would accept AK mags.

The SKS-M models were "post-ban", and usually came with a short paratrooper barrel and no bayo lug. These also could be found with either a thumbhole stock or a Monte Carlo stock. Note: the 20" barrel M-model with the Monte Carlo stock is the hard one to find.

Slo

7. Retiredfireguy

Yep - It looked just like that. And it did say Norinco Sporter on the side.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

That would be a nice piece to have. I have an almost fully-bubba'd Norinco with the longer barrel and duckbill mags. I dearly love plinkin with that rifle, dearly. It's the most fun gun i've had since i was a kid.

That price on Gunbroker seemed a bit high to me, FWIW.

9. Retiredfireguy

Orangello, what would you consider a fair price?
    Thanks for the info, BTW.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Tough call, but gunbroker, though a beautiful site with a wide variety of firearms, usually looks pricey. I paid a bit over $300 for my 20" standard Norinco SKS at a gunshow (good condition, matching numbers, but not original); i feel like i overpaid by $50-$75 or so. I would have to look around at the -M's selling on the forums like this one, thefiringline, and sksboards, but personally i couldn't justify more than $500 (and it would have to be nice). I'm sure many people will think that is too high. I wouldn't be collecting, just shooting.

Here is a similar item: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56446.0

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009