Norinco SKS Question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by 180baseball, Jul 15, 2013.

1. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

I was a Cabelas a few days ago and saw a Norinco SKS for sale and it said on the tag, "comes with 2 magazines". I always thought Norinco SKS rifles had a permanent mag. Also, does this mean I could buy a Norinco SKS drum mag for it or even a TAPCO 30 round magazine? On another note, how would one load these detachable mags , would you remove the mag an load it like an AL-47 or would you loa it like a Mosin with stripper clips.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There was (I think ) one version of the SKS, possibly the D model, that used detachable mags. Other than that, it is someone trying an aftermarket conversion- which does not work well more than half the time.

3. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

My sks has the internal mag aswell, and is held in by two points below the barrel inside the stock, and one point is held it with the trigger assembly. The detachable mags connect to the point (groove) at the front of the stock and locks into place with the mag lock (whatever its called)at the bottom of the rifle anyways they work, but most companies products work with specific models and years so make sure you know what model it is. As for loading, its just like any magazine fed rifle where it goes in at a bit of an angle back and the then forward where it is locked into place.

4. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have the original magazine that holds 10. I also have the detachable 20 rd Tapco magazine that fits perfectly into the stock.
    No problem firing with either. However, I much prefer the original mag with 10 rds simply because I know there'll be no problems
    with feeding, as there would be with detachables.

5. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

Some magazines fit great, but I hear most need alterations (filling the stock usually) very minor, its just figuring out where the tight spots are and widen them

6. Red5Beard

Red5Beard New Member

Your probably thinking about the Norinco MC5Ds and Sporters. Both of these SKS rifles use detachable AK-47 mags. Sweet rifles that are now pretty hard to find. Google them or check them out on YouTube.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Yes, that is true. Here is a vid on one who stated he had to sand the sides inside lightly so as to fit the Tapco mag.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=csvuvOEl0gc&feature=youtube[/ame]

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Was the rifle in the original wooden stock, or was it in a plastic stock? With my Tapco stock, my Tapco mags work fine, but I hear that people with the original stock have a lot of trouble with the aftermarket mags. I load my Tapco mags off the rifle and swap them out similarly to those of an AK-type rifle, but there is a "duckbill" on the front that must be inserted into the stock before the mag can be seated.

9. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

The SKS was in a new fiberglass stock

10. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Norincos, like the SKS in general, has a permanent 10-round clip-fed magazine. But, it's very easy to change that (kinda). Pop out the trigger guard, pop out the magazine (it's tight, as it should be), and put the trigger guard back in! I'd like to say that all there is to it, but the trigger group is a real b!*c# to snap back into its place (I've never taken one apart that wasn't). The TapCo 30 round magazines are just ALRIGHT. 20 rounders from TapCo are the good ones that are detachable (I just don't hear complaints about them). That being said... I like the permanent magazine better, with lots and lots of clips...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  11. jakeshort72

jakeshort72 New Member

No such thing as a norinco Sks. Your referring to a chinese Sks. All Sks's originally have an internal 10 rd magazine loaded by stripper clips. Basically aftermarket mags are junk, tapcos and promags are OK. Sks's are best left original besides the stock MAYBE. The detachable mags work like any other detachable mag only has a duckbill that gles in first. If the gun is all original and numbers matching (besides mag) id pay $250 at MOST. If it was all original and numbers matching completely (gas tube, piston, mag, stock, bayo, trigger group, bolt and carrier? Then id pay $375. Prices have been all over the place with Sks"s lately so its actually kinda hard to valie one. But this is just mh 2 cents.

12. BiggD

BiggD New Member

Here is a picture of a sks sporter it takes the ak 47 mags.

Attached Files:

13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

The D and M models both take AK mags. D was pre-ban with 20" barrel and bayo lug. M is post-ban with 16" barrel and no bayo lug. Most were marked paratrooper. But not all paratrooper models were the M. There is nothing at all wrong with the Norinco imported SKSs. The M is my favorite of all the SKSs. They are not very common to find, so I suggest grabbing it up if thats what it is. But, you didnt mention which mags it takes, the duckbill, or AK. Does it have the stripper guide in the end of the upper bolt? If so, you can use stripper clips to push the rounds down into the mag, or you can remove the mag and load it seperate. I dont believe the D or the M had the stripper guide.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013