Norinco M14

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by paulb, Aug 16, 2010.

1. paulb

paulb New Member

I am looking at purchasing a Norinco M14 and would like a little input from someone who is familiar with them. I have done some reading on-line and it seems some people think they are great and others say stay away from them. Here are the details and a pic of the one I am looking at.
    Comes as pictured with 4 mags, sling, GI fiberglass stock, Bushnell 3200 scope, SA scope mount, Winchester bolt upgrade, upgraded flash hider/bayonet lug, cleaning kit and takedown tool. Asking price is $1250.

Stay away or is it worth a look??

Attached Files:

• M147.jpg
      M147.jpg
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
  2. vapper

vapper New Member

I think its worth a look. The Chinese rifles did have an issue with soft bolts, but since this one has been upgraded, no worries there. You might ask the owner if he knows WHO did the work on it, though.
    The Chinese also forged there recievers vs. cast. Barrels are generally thought to be good on them as well.
    At first look, the price sounds a little high, but figuring the upgrades and accessories included, it's in the ballpark.

3. paulb

paulb New Member

chrome lined barrel?

Thanks for the reply vapper. I did read that some of the Norinco barrels were chrome plated and have a much longer service life than a standerd barrel. I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if the barrel is chrome plated or not??

4. vapper

vapper New Member

It is my understanding that the Chinese barrels were all chrome-lined.
    I am no expert on the m14/M1A by any means. I have owned a couple, one being a Poly-Tech which was made in the same factory as Norinco.
    I still have it, have shot it a lot with no problems or complaints.
    I'm new around here too,, hopefully some of the old M14 hands will join in on your post soon. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable and friendly folks on here.

5. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have one they are great riffles for the money. Do you know when it was imported?.
    The upgrades are good . To buy a scope mount you are looking at $125.00-$250.00 , the scope is worth about $300.00 the stock I'm not sure as well as the bolt.
    There are a few things that you can do to make them more acurate.
    1. any place the upper hand gaurd touches the stock sand it off.
    2. where you take out the gas piston there is a screw on bracket that conects the gas cylinder and the barrel. unscrew this reverse it and screw it back on . this will tighten up the hand gaurd and gas block.
    3.get a NM spring rod guide and spring.
    4. you can also bed the stock.
    Can the guy come down a bit in price,you don't know how many rounds he has put down range.
    Get an action buffer for wear and tear on the reciver.
    F.K.

6. paulb

paulb New Member

All the upgrades were done before he purchased it, and he is not sure when it was imported. Being the bolt was changed out, my guess is it's an early import. He is willing to sell the rifle less scope and rings for $950. I am going to look at it tonight, and plan to make an offer if everything checks out.

7. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Will he keep the scope base on it . If he does $950.00 is not so bad.

8. paulb

paulb New Member

Yes the scope mount is included in the $950 price. The $1250 price also includes a double side Pelican gun case and 20 rounds of 308 match ammo.

9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

If you need a scope and rings the Bushnell 32 ellite and rings fore $300.00 is not to bad then it is already sighted in and you can go right to the match amo.
    For me setting up the gun is part of the fun. That and working up loads that shoot as acurate as the gun can be. Once I have a gun shooting the best ,I get board and have to move on to my next project.
    F.K.

10. paulb

paulb New Member

Yah, I like the scope that's on it and need one anyway. I'm going to look at it in about an hour. I'll post and let you guys know how it goes. I have wanted an M14/M1A for a long time so I pretty much know how things will go. :)

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

As stated above, try to find out who did the bolt conversion. Do you have the ability to have the headspace checked? Do it if you can. Does he have any fired brass from the rifle? Look it over for signs of stretching, over pressure, etc.

The SAI mount is garbage, but the scope is a good one. Great glass for the dough.

See if the mags have USGI makers marks stamped on the back about an inch from the bottom. The ChiCom mags were good, though.

Can you fire it before you buy it?

And the ChiCom barrels are excellent and all are chrome lined.

Can you post a pic of the action, from the top with the bolt locked back? Look to see if the receiver was nicely machined where the bolt locks up. That area is what gets ground down for the bolt mod.

12. paulb

paulb New Member

Well the rifle is in very good condition and the seller was a pleasure to do business with. Not being familiar with the M14, he went over every detail with me. The previous owner to him sent the rifle to a gunsmith in Florida to have the bolt upgrade done. Also the guy has been reloading for 25+ years, and said he always checked the spent shell casings for signs of head space problems. After going through the rifle and visiting for over an hour; I walked away with a pretty nice package deal that also included the original stock, complete buttstock cleaning kit, and 200 rounds of Federal Cartridge FMJ ammo.

M14sRock,
    What's the deal with the SAI 3rd gen. scope mount; why garbage??

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good decision. I would have bought it based on the info you provided.

SAI mounts (1st, 2nd, 3rd gen) are aluminum and they are designed to crush fit to individual receivers. They shoot loose fast, and wear out faster. SAI receivers are notorious for being out of spec, especially where the grooves for the scope mounts are concerned.

They new SAI 4th gen is good to go, as are the Sadlak, Brookfield, Basset Machine, SEI, and such. Basset gets rave reviews and is the cheapest.

And the ChiCom receivers are forged steel, made to USGI spec. One piece forged oprod (TRW was the only USGI oprod that was one piece). Get a set of SEI trigger group pins and replace them. Cheap.

You got a great rifle, and if the HS in in spec, it will give you many lifetimes of use, most likely.

Gas lock threads are not the same thread as USGI, so don't eff yours up while disassembling. Ha. But the ChiCom receivers can take American bbls.

Did you check to see if the receiver rails that the bolt rides on were not ground up in the front, where the bolt locks into battery?

14. vapper

vapper New Member

Congrats, sounds like you got a good one. I have several 7.62 rifles, but theres just something about my M14 that makes me grab it first when I go shooting. And FYI if you are looking for ammo, AIM Surplus has 7.62x51 most of the time, good stuff like Radway Green and German Dag. Both are excellent. They get South African sometimes and I've had good luck with it as well.

15. paulb

paulb New Member

M14sRock,
    I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for in the bolt lock-up area of the reciever. I tried to take a few pics last night, but they were too blurry. I will try again tonight, and post them if they turn out good.

Vapper,
    My next step is to stock up on ammo, so I will for sure check out AIM Surplus.

I am planning a trip to the gun range this weekend and will post how things go.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Aim is GTG. The had some Belgian stuff recently, too.

Skip the Russian stuff in .308.

When the bolt is out of battery (open) look to see if the front edges/corners of the area the bolt locks into when it goes into battery (closes) look hacked up and ground on. They should look clean and well fitted from the USGI Bolt fitting.

17. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have heard that the South African stuff is realy good Like top of the pile.but that is just hearsay.
    I picked up 900 rounds of Bulgarian and it has been acurate. The only drawback is that it is steel cased,but in another thought it makes cleanup easy with a big magnet;).
    Go and have fun.
    How much are You guys paying for surplus amo? I think we get hosed preaty good here.
    F.K.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I like the SA. It is consistent in all of my rifles, and the groups(size, or POI) don't change between lots and years. Very rare when that happens. It is NOT the most accurate surp. The RG shoots well, and the Port was great (tough to find now). Avoid Indian manufactured after the 1970's. The '90's stuff sold on the surplus market is a ticking time bomb. The '70's stuff was made under British guidance.

19. paulb

paulb New Member

I checked the receiver in the bolt lock up area, and all the machining is nice and smooth. When the bolt is closed the line between the receiver and the locking lugs is a spot on fit. :)

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Sounds like someone did a good job on it.