Noodling...catfish......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Apr 24, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I was on...YOUTUBE...Watching these guy's Noodling for Big #ss Catfish...What the hell,putting your hand in a hole at the bottom of the river...One guy lost a finger....Some of them had some nice fish but if you got to put your hand in a hole at the bottom of the river,the fish can just stay their in the river....Them dudes are a little crazy if you ask me.....

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Man we was noodling before it was called that. It was just an easy way to catch catfish for us. We had a creek that dried up in the summer. So as it started to dry up we would find the deep holes that held catfish dive in grab them and swim back up and toss them to someone on the bank.

It is really fun. We could see them when we did it.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Son, if you can see 'em...that ain't noodlin'....

Catfish Noodling

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

IGETEVEN...Your from Oklahoma....That's where they do that crazy sh#t....I guess you see that all the time??...Crazzy way to FISH...I must say.......

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I think people have to be nuts to do it. What happens when you stick your arm in a hole full of snakes?

6. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Don't they taste muddy?? We have two types of catfish here; Eastern catfish and Western; one species from either side of the Great Dividing Range. Eastern catfish come from rivers with a sandy or rocky bottom and are beautiful to eat but the Western catty's come from rivers with mud bottoms and taste like sh!te.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on if you know how to cook em and clean em. its the fat that tastes like poo. the bigger the fish the more old fat it has. i catch catfish up here out of the fox river most folk think im crazy. but they can get pretty damn big since im about the only one that keeps em. anyway for the big ones trim the fat off soak in buttermilk then salt pepper cornmeal and fry em up. better than walleye bass or trout.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

Guess I don't know how to clean em. In my experience they taste muddy from muddy rivers. I'd also wonder about grabbing a turtle. Or being grabbed.:eek:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

its the turtles that are the real danger. they tend to not let go for quite a while. peeps drown from doing that, grabd a turtle he grabs back and they can hold their breath a LOT longer than you can

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Turtle soup is tasty as well..We baited hooks that where on a flat piece of plywood and when the turtles crawled on the hooks they can't move....Frog legs do taste like chicken...yum..Out-in a flat john boat with a wooden paddle and a flashlight...Shine the light in their eye's and hit them with the wooden paddle...We where kids on a lake doing kid stuff...good old days....Bass rolled in cornmeal and deepfryed or put on the BBQ grill in tinfoil and some butter..yum...Cooking class 101....

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My daughter just did a paper for school on Catfish noodling. Those guys aren't a little crazy, they are very crazy. :D

12. opaww

opaww New Member

Cought my ex-wife that way

13. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Another good-one...To Funny........

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have never meet a catfish that didn't taste like CRAP. That is one fish I would soon starve than eat. I do believe I would eat a carp over a catfish in a heart beat.

15. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Tango,

You have never had my catfish filet or you would not say that. I will someday fry you up a mess of catfish from my home in South Carolina, home made fries and some hushpuppies and I guarantee you that you will enjoy the meal.

Scubie

PS, I grew up noodling for catfish in North Carolina but gave it up because it was more fun to sit with a cold beer and a cane pole than gamble I would get a cat and not a snapping turtle.

16. opaww

opaww New Member

I don't eat cat fish because they are bottom feaders like congress

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Catfish are the best!! Beer battered and deep fried:cool:
    My top 5.
    1 Catfish
    2 Perch
    3 Walleye
    4 Crappie
    5 Bluegill

I'll use a rod and reel though. I'd like to keep most of my fingers attached:D

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Ever tried an "edo roll" at the sushi place? FREAKIN' GAG! :eek: I ate fried catfish in my youth & found it to be fine when correctly prepared. I tried the sushi one time at a place with "Edo" in its name; i won't make that mistake again, ever.

One thing on the catfish, a buddy caught some salt/brackish water catfish at the coast not too long ago; i thought they would be salty. He soaked them in a big bowl of fresh water for about an hour to draw out most of the salty flavor; everyone who had some (not me) declared it delicious. I've always been told the "muddy" taste works the same way; you have to clean and soak a while before cooking.

19. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

For y’all that are wondering how to noodle well here is a quick lesson:

1. You have to wade in the river next to the bank, look for a slight indentation in the bank or after a bend where the current slows down.

2. Reach down and feel for the top of a hole where the current or a fish has dug out the mud.

3. Slowly, reach in from ether the bottom or the side, keeping your fingers closed together and palm up and feel for the underside of a cat’s jaw.

4. Don’t wiggle your fingers because if a snapper is in the hole he can take a finger off real quick.

5. If you feel a cat pull back and feel to the side and you can grab him by the gill and pull him out… CAUTION cat’s gills can be sharp as hell.

6. Or you can grab the cat’s lower lip and pull him out that way.

7. I prefer to blade my hand and put it in the cat’s mouth then make a fist and grab the lower part of the jaw inside. Most of the time the cat will bite down on you hand and you have him.

Don’t really have a problem with snakes but snappers are a completely different animal. Shihi can tell you about our Carolina snappers.

Scubie

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not keen on eating the catfish but I never shy away from a good trout or bass ;)