Firearms Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a new to the forum but not to guns. I've had a firearm in one way or another since the day I was born (inherited of course). My dad taught me to be unlike most gun guys and never sell a gun. Every gun I've ever owned is still in my position. It makes it harder to shoot and own many different types because I don't trade guns, but at least I'll never regret getting rid of one.

I've been in the Army Reserves for eight years and only recently have gotten into "assault weapons." Before that I only owned hunting guns. I reload almost everything I shoot but until recently I didn't get much into serious reloading. Always before I'd find a round that shoots and stick with it, not worrying about finding the most accurate reload for a paticular gun.

I'm getting ready to buy a new gun but can't decide on what I want. A brief list of what I want is a large caliber assault rifle (have a 223 bushmaster), a 1911, a double action revolver, a new single action in .45 LC, a ruger Mark III, an ak, the new LCP, and a henry big boy. Not much to ask for, huh?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome! I have not been on this site for long but it seems to me your in good company. I too still have every gun I have ever owned, and I don't trade either. I reload as well. And as far as other guns I want... well..... one of everything would be nice. I'd go with the 1911! (I may be predudiced toward them as my user name suggests). :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum!
we don't use that phrase in the first line of your second paragraph in quotes
it tends to have a negative connotation
instead we use SUR or sports utility rifle
:D
if you want larger caliber SUR then go for an AK or M1a if you prefer
as for your next handgun purchase i would say go for a 1911 (plenty of guys here who love them, including myself, that could help you out in brand selection)
of course this is all my opinion
glad to have you here!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome to the boards KY

Hello all. I'm a new to the forum but not to guns. I've had a firearm in one way or another since the day I was born (inherited of course). My dad taught me to be unlike most gun guys and never sell a gun. Every gun I've ever owned is still in my position. It makes it harder to shoot and own many different types because I don't trade guns, but at least I'll never regret getting rid of one.

I've been in the Army Reserves for eight years and only recently have gotten into "assault weapons." Before that I only owned hunting guns. I reload almost everything I shoot but until recently I didn't get much into serious reloading. Always before I'd find a round that shoots and stick with it, not worrying about finding the most accurate reload for a paticular gun.

I'm getting ready to buy a new gun but can't decide on what I want. A brief list of what I want is a laromege caliber assault rifle (have a 223 bushmaster), a 1911, a double action revolver, a new single action in .45 LC, a ruger Mark III, an ak, the new LCP, and a henry big boy. Not much to ask for, huh?
Welcome KY. Since you have a Bushmaster, I'd travel the gun show circuit, and get a large cal. upper receiver for it. As far as the handguns go, 2 good 6 shot revolvers can usually be had for 1 good 1911? I have both styles, and like them for their own purpose. Welcome again+:D+ speak up!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Welcome ky2008, glad to have you aboard!

I have a feeling you'll fit in here just right!

Don't worry about the A word, it throws up a flag when the troll program does a search so we decided to not throw up the flag. You just need to get used to saying SUR (Sport Utility Rifle) in it's place.

I see you like the evil blacks, I prefer the east urope-ah-pee-n brown models in 762.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome and glad to have you around!
You alredy are considered an AK, other member in the forum sugested the M1A, If you want a large calibrer SUR why don't try a FAL type (DSA SA-58) or H&K G3 type (PTR-91)... In here the FAL was the weapon of our army for several years and I like it; and we recive the spanish magazine ARMAS and as the CETME/G3 was the oficial weapon of Spanish army I had read great things about the CETME/G3 too. The 1911 is an exelent handgun, you can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
welcome aboard, seems like we have gotten a rush of fellow Kentuckians as of late. Guess they finally got 'round to getting th einternet turned on. ;) Thats why I love my state; Mark Twain said once that he was going to move to KY because if the end of the world came, everything happens twenty years later there than the rest of the country.
Enjoy the forum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. Now I feel like the guy who cussed in front of a preacher! I promise to never say the A word again.

As far as a sur rifle, I'd really like the m1a but it's expensive. The same goes for the fal. I'll probably end up getting a mini 14 in the 6.8 spc.

As far as the handgun goes, my next one will most likely be a kimber 1911.

·
Registered
992 Posts
OK... mini 14 is worse than the "A" word. Please don't waste your hard earned money on that piece of poop. ARs are still fairly inexpensive if you look hard enough, could add another caliber to your AR collection. I used to have a mini years ago, I traded it for a three legged dog with the clap.
Good call on the Kimber, you won't go wrong there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
1911 1911 1911 1911

Whoo whoo, another Kimber 1911. ;):):D:cool:

Gun control is like trying to stop drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
6.8 upper for Bushmaster?

Great. Now I feel like the guy who cussed in front of a preacher! I promise to never say the A word again.

As far as a sur rifle, I'd really like the m1a but it's expensive. The same goes for the fal. I'll probably end up getting a mini 14 in the 6.8 spc.

As far as the handgun goes, my next one will most likely be a kimber 1911.
Again an option would be an upper receiver for your Bushmaster, in 6.8, 7.62x39, or several others. Just a thought. Kimber would be a GREAT choice. I can't afford one, so I'll stay with my Colt:D:p

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum - I would suggest doing some research on the .458 Socom ( and another I am forgetting at the moment ) Upper for your existing Bushmaster AR. That's the great thing, in my opinion, about the AR platform. One lower and you can have several, platform driven uppers. Two pins and you go from a CQB weapon to a long range Zombie Slayer, or a mid range Dump Truck on the loose.

Kimber is an EXCELLENT choice in the semi custom 1911 field. Best bang for the buck in the 1911 platform in my opinion.

Also, stay away from the Mini-14 - it will only disappoint as mentioned above by the always well intentioned EDIT hillbilly68, UNEDIT one of forum brothers. :D

Welcome to the Forum again - the guys here are all good guys and willing to help!

JD

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Kimber would be a GREAT choice. I can't afford one, so I'll stay with my Colt.
Like that's a compromise??

If you're going to pay the Kimber $ why not step up and get a Night Hawk?

For me, I'll just slum it with my Colts!

·
Registered
992 Posts
.... as mentioned above by the always well intentioned txhillbilly, one of forum brothers. :D
JD

Sigh, thats twice you have gotten your "hillbillys" mixed up. Tx is the other one. :(
again

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Sigh, thats twice you have gotten your "hillbillys" mixed up. Tx is the other one. :(
again
Hey, all you Hill Williams look alike! One leg shorter than the other.
(< That's McNabb's masturbating banana)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
again
Damn it - My bad... I am at fault here....

and hillbilly68 was just up in this neck of the woods too, but we didn't get a chance to hook up for a few beers.

Dillinger for the loss. :eek:

JD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the fast responses guys, I can tell I'm going to be on this forum A LOT!!

Love the looks of the Kimber and the 700~ range at my local dealer. Just need to convince the 7.5 month pregnant wife that 700 isn't too much money for another gun. She already thinks I have to many. Like that is even possible.

What other caliber uppers can you use with a 5.56 lower? I was under the impression that the .308 and several others require a larger magazine well.

And as far as the mini goes I thought they've been totally revamped this past year to be pretty acurate and still reliable.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Love the looks of the Kimber and the 700~ range at my local dealer. Just need to convince the 7.5 month pregnant wife that 700 isn't too much money for another gun. She already thinks I have to many. Like that is even possible.
Look, you have been the CLUB long enough to have the secret information.

Stick with the 1911, keep them in the safe and only bring one out at a time!

They all look alike and if she notices something different, play the "I just got a new set of grips for 'er.'

Now you're sworn to secrecy!

If you spill the beans, we gotta kick you out of the club!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats a really good idea as she has no idea how many guns I have and they all look alike to her. The only problem is I stopped by my local dealer today and they sold the only Kimber Custom II (I was thinking it was the Tactical II but it was the Custom) they had. Said it would be 60-90 days before they get anymore Kimbers in. Checked out a Para I really liked but it was $960, a little too much for me. They also had a used Thompson 1911 for $600. It was alright, stainless but with crappy sights. Didn't really feel good in my hand.

They've sold a lot of guns and other stuff here lately. I've been looking for a Galco pancake holster that hugs my hip good for my Glock 27 but haven't been able to find one ANYWHERE! They of course didn't have one either.

Oh well, now I'm in the waiting game I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts