NOOB question...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by takeoffyourpantsandjacket, Jan 29, 2013.

1. this might be a silly question but can you put a 5.56 S&W 15 upper on a S&W 15-22 lower?will this work plz help if you can thanks

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

No it won't. The 15-22 doesn't have a buffer tube and all the goodies that go in it. It's just a piece of plastic

3. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That would be a negative ghost rider. You can put a 15-22 upper on the 15 lower, but not the other way around

4. awesome,dose the 15-22 mag work in 5.56 lower?and thanks for the info this is going to save me a lot of cash...

5. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I may be mistaken but I don't think you can do either. I believe the 15-22 is a little narrower just for this reason.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No it won't.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dimensions of a 15-22 are different than for an AR-15.

In addition, the .22LR is a blowback, no buffer.

8. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Tell you what. Let's find out. I so happen to have a 15-22, mags and a 5.56 lower sitting around. I'll post a couple pics in a sec. I will however, voodoo curse anyone who laughs at, pokes fun at, or otherwise defames my wifes pink tiger stripe camo 15-22 with a black magic spell allowing the fleas of a thousand camels to make homage to their armpits.

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

OK, so after mix matching everything, here's the outcome. The 15-22 upper did attach to a new NFA polymer lower. It isn't what I'd call a great fit by any means. This is it with a Chiappa .22 mag.
    [​IMG]

The Chiappa mag fit with a small amount of play. When using the action, it chambered a round in what appeared to be normal functioning. With the 15-22 mag, there was a lot of play. I'd say 1/4 in or more. It did chamber a round, however it took a little effort. I might have fired a round with the Chiappa mag, but I wouldn't do it with the S&W mag.

Here's the S&W mag in the 5.56 lower. Lots of play. Not likely functional though the mag did stay in place.
    [​IMG]

At the end of the day, I wouldn't try it if I wanted to ever use my gun again, and liked my face as it is. I tried to put the ATI .22 upper for my DPMS lower on the 15-22 lower, no dice. Simply wouldn't go. And when I put the 15-22 upper on the 5.56 lower, the buffer tube was discontent to stay in its place to say the least.

Final conclusion--Don't do it.:cool:

10. cakesterkiller

cakesterkiller New Member

for a pink AR i must say sir your wife did it right that looks really good I almost wanna see the whole rifle

11. longunner

longunner New Member

So would say a 9mm upper or a 22lr upper fit and function on a 5.56 lower?

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Not all but some are designed to work on a standard lower. Tactical Solutions has a .22lr upper that fits.

13. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

9mm I don't know.

That black upper on my 15-22 lower is the ATI Tactical .22LR conversion upper that you can slap on your 5.55 lower and shoot. The one I got is this one:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ati-tactical-22lr-ar-15-upper-atim42228t.html

I got it in early Novermber for 349