Noob question

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sam78, May 28, 2012.

1. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

I was wondering what is the cheapest (price not quality) semi-automatic handgun that you would consider for SD? I am planning on purchasing a HiPoint this week to learn about guns on and basically a range, truck and tackle-box gun. Their warranty is amazing and it made in the USA (always a plus). I can't afford the Glocks or higher brands and was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks in advance

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are good defense pistols to be had (new) for $300 or so. That's probably about as "on the cheap" as I'd want to go for a defense pistol. Others will tell you Hi-Point is plenty good. They may very well have a point, but for various reasons I'll probably never know.

You can get into some very dependable pump shotguns for about $200. Dollar for dollar, it's tough to beat a basic 12ga for home defense.

3. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

Thanks for the response. I think with HiPoint (from what I gather) you have to make sure you give it a few hundred rounds to break it in, adjust the magazine, and polish the ramp on it. These are all very fair requests to me based on their price and great warranty. If my HiPoint performed flawlessly after several hundred rounds, i would be inclined to say it is reliable. If not, HiPoint has that great warranty. At HiPoints prices, it is very difficult not to consider them. And as we all know, the more you spend time improving something, the more you become attached to it :) I wonder which other brands you meant that could be had at $300?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

A good Smith revolver can be found for 300ish. I paid that for my old 65-2.

But, hi points are one that I wouldn't be afraid to own.

5. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

I can't wait till tomorrow when I get mine! :D

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If price is your issue then I would stick with a 22LR. Ammo is cheap. Handguns are cheaper as well.

7. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

Good for SD?

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I have to agree with Sweeper 22 its hard to beat a shotgun and you can use any left over cash for ammo to practice. Asxyou said yourself with the Hi Point you need to put several hundred rounds down the pipe to get to the point You trust it, then more practice this means even a Hi Point will tax your budget and still my not be as good for sd as a shotgun.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In the $300-350 range, the first gun I'd look at is a Ruger P95.

10. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

Thank you for the response

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I agree, or a P89

12. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

I watched a HiPoint fail miserably in my friends hand. He wound up with 2 dead fingers.

The guy mentioning revolvers and .22LR PISTOLS HAS a good point. 22LR can and will kill an invader if you can shoot properly.

Stay away from HiPoint my friend. Bad joojoo

13. kycol

kycol New Member

Oh boy here we go again, the HiPoint will do just fine if that's what you like and your price range. I have 2 a 9 and a45 . They have been great out of the box, no polish or adjustments needed. Feeds ant ammo I have shoved. In it. I see all these saying 300 to 350 range but I don't believe you said that's what you wanted to spend. That said if you do want to spend 375 you could get a rock island 1911 and that is a great pistol. But hold them all check out actual people who have owned the gun and not those that knew someone or heard somewhere

14. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

My bad. Should also mention that I owned one for 4 months and never was able to get anything but FMJ ammo into it. After 3 months of hell with it not feeding JHP, I melted it down and it's now a paper weight.

15. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

What happened that caused your friend's accident? Details?

16. kycol

kycol New Member

Mine feeds Remington JHP just fine and the Tula steel case as well. But enjoy your paper weight, personally I would send it in or still enjoy shooting fmj since that's the cheapest out there anyway ( 80% ) of my plinking anyway.

17. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

We were at a range in Georgia shooting, he was shooting fast and advancing on his practice target. As far as we can figure, somehow the ejector knicked a round, double fed, and somehow the firing pin made contact with the round and it went off, resulting in two nice bangs, lots of blood, screaming, and his medical military separation.

Freak accident, but it was a HiPoint.

18. Sam78

Sam78 New Member

Wow! Sorry to hear that

19. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

That's good to hear. Mine must've just been one of the many true horror stories.

I'll stick to .22LR when I wanna shoot cheap. Otherwise, I'll enjoy my plethora of Glock, S&W, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and other quality weapons. ;)

20. NM-LEO

NM-LEO New Member

Yeah it sucked!!