Noob question here, Stoner design enhancement?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bevo, May 31, 2014.

1. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Hey y'all. I have been reading for the last couple of years about the relative merits of AKs, ARs, and other rifles. Each has it's advantages and it's disadvantages, that's part of the fun! One thing I have not seen discussed is linearity.

The AR (to the best of my knowledge, which could be wrong) is the first shoulder fired weapon to have a completely linear discharge from the end of the barrel (or muzzle break as the case may be) all the way through to the shoulder.

Until Stoner's design, all the shouldering was below the firing line of the rifle. Having the shoulder below the firing line ought to cause or at least facilitate muzzle rise.

I'm a neophyte here, but I do understand a bit about physics. Am I making too much of this, or is that small physical advancement somewhat over looked?

I'll hang up and take your replies! :D

2. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nope, not correct.

In-line stock designs were around long before the AR was developed.

In fact, the Johnson LMG was a US military small arm that had an in-line stock design that was produced during WWII.

The FG-42 had an in-line stock design.

The StG-44 had an in-line stock design.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

the stock design doesnt have much to do with it. the elimination of the reciprocating piston gas system above or below the barrel has everything to do with the comparatively reduced muzzle rise. all the moving mass and gas forces are in line with the barrel and receiver.

that being said, the differences in where the gas is being cycled in terms of muzzle rise are so minor as to be a non-factor. the thing that makes an ar15 recoil inline better than say an ak47 or 308 semi is the lightweight bullet it fires. the stock reduces felt recoil only.

4. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  5. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Thank you for your perspective, JonM.

6. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The StG 44 DOES have a barrel that is in line with the stock. There just happens to be some material that sits above the line.