Noob brass catcher question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bevo, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Bevo

Bevo New Member

I hope this is the right location for this question.

I'm thinking of getting a brass catcher for my AR and have a couple of questions for the more experienced:

1. If you have used one, how do you feel about it? In other words, did the balance of the AR change as the brass was caught? If yes, did it affect your shooting?

2. If you have used one, do you still or would you again?

3. Which one would you recommend, if any and why?

Hey, I know they're cheap and I'm probably over thinking the problem, but I'm an engineer by profession. It's what I do! :D

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you are shoting at Red's, you will want to collect your brass before they claim it. I have a cheap UTG brass catcher that works with a variety of self loaders. The brass does not weigh enough to upset the balance. Just empty it every mag and you will be fine.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I found the one that attaches to the rifle is difficult to keep in place. If you are looking for something to use on the bench, I'd recommend a free standing one.

4. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

How come I read: "B oob brass catcher question"......weird.

5. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Wishful thinking? :)

6. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Thanks for the opinions so far. I don't live in Austin but when I visit my dad, we go to Red's. They are startlingly efficient at "cleaning" casings. I tend to shoot freehand rather than from a bench so a "strap on" is more in line with my needs. Somehow I think I'll regret that last sentence.....

7. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Wow, might wana get that checked out man. Regret away, but it's out there now.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like the utg catcher as robocop says it works on a large variety including my ruger 44 carbine and scar17. i wouldnt use a catcher on anything but a range where stoppages arent critical

i do find it occasionally causes stove pipes due to the catcher getting in the way on occasion.

i used to shoot at reds in the 80's and 90's. i liked it as it was the only indoor i could use my winchester 70 classic in 458 winmag in a controlled wind free setting for sight ins.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

ROFLoL!!!!!!!! Try the little blue pill before you try a strap on buddy! I hear it works great!

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I use the Caldwell brand brass catcher's on my 223,458SC AR-15's,and 260 Rem AR-10 all the time. Whether I'm target shooting or hunting,they are on the rifles.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I also use a Caldwell---strap on. It works for me, and my Rifle doesn't notice the extra weight. Course, my Wife says my Rifle is too heavy for her anyway. Know what I mean?

12. GregH

GregH New Member

I use a Caldwell

I just used my new Caldwell catcher for the first time today. It has a heavy, stiff Velcro strap that goes around the upper in front of the ejection port. That holds it in place well. It has a heavy wire rectangular frame in the hem that holds it around the perimeter of the ejection port, and fairly snug to the upper. It has another heavy wire frame that holds the top of the bag open, and the mesh dangles from there.

It works very well. I fired 100 rounds today, and it caught every one, and did not bounce any back into the chamber. It's very easy to empty with a zipper at the bottom of the mesh bag, so I emptied it every time I stopped to change the target (every 10 - 15 rounds).

I think I would use one of these at the range even if I didn't intend to start reloading. That's especially true if there is someone at the bench to my right, which is typically just a few feet away. That way, I'm not spitting hot brass at the other shooter.

Attached Files:

13. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Thanks to all for the advice, I think I'll go with the Caldwell. And as for the "other" replies, LOL!