Nonformal shooting areas--Mat-Su valley

Discussion in 'Alaska Gun Forum' started by 207driver, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 207driver

207driver New Member

Since the closure of the Nike site (can't blame anyone but those that trashed it), who would like to disclose their favorite plinking/target practice area?

The Parker Mesa area and the Knik Nike site are no longer available, any others nearby?

2. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

i know you don't really expect me to post top secret information on here. if you pm me and say pretty pretty please i might get back with an idea or 2 tho. ps: what do you shoot?

3. freefall

freefall New Member

I too would appreciate any ideas on a place to go bust a few caps. I used to go to the old Houston dump on Zero Lake road, but thanks to idiots leaving mounds of trash it's been shut down.
    ps pretty pretty please.

4. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

you guys are killin me. ok freefall. i will try to pm you. if i screw it up pm me and i will respomd back. just a hint, if you are up by houston i am on the other side of the valley

5. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

Are there really only 4 people from Alaska on the forums?

I just moved to the rural Big Lake area. Only recently got into shooting. I'm a total noob and I would love to learn more.

I don't have any guns but the Remington shotgun I borrowed from my cousin in anchorage for personal defense. I still haven't had to shoot it.

Would you folks be interested in a meet-up?

6. Leciarn

Leciarn New Member

Howdy alaskans I'm mostly an observer I just want to learn. Figured I'd just listen to you all who know more than me. I have loved guns since I was young but I'm no expert. Started going to the shooting range recently out if sheer desperation for a place to shoot. I was used to just going up the back road behind my house like I did when I was a kid but I'm new to alaska and thought id try out the gun club. It's different but at least I get to shoot. Anyone ever been to the disabled american veterans gun show? So I guess there's five of us?

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. PerpetualStudent

Hey there! Welcome to the Forum and Welcome to Alaska...although I don't know how those who are originally from Alaska would feel about us invaders. LoL

I only recently moved to Alaska, but I've met some great people. I'm originally from the Aloha state, but I have to say, the people that I have met often have more Aloha than the people from home.

However, I have also seen that people here, just like everywhere else I guess, hold their secrets close to the heart. I would've loved to meet with folks who have enough love of guns and initiative to talk intelligently on a forum about them. It just doesn't seem like they want to.

Anyway, where are you from and where did you move to bro?

8. Leciarn

Leciarn New Member

He he that's sis, not bro. Moved to anchorage two years ago from Utah. I've decided this shooting range is
    ok it was a little weird at first I grew up plinking so the restrictions were a little hard to get used to. I haven't found anywhere else to shoot that I can get to in less than an hour. Hawaii to alaska huh? Bit of a climate change there. How long you been in AK?

9. PerpetualStudent

LoL. My apologies!! Excuse while I remove my foot from my mouth.

I got here the end of October 2011. Oh yes, huge difference in climate. Loved the winter (except for a few mishaps and challenges) now just need to see the summer. LoL.

I live in Big Lake. Waaaaay in the rural part of town. The guys here just go anywhere and practice. We've even just shot from our porches. LoL.

They're very knowledgable and great people.

I'm not sure what gun laws are like in Utah, but HI gun laws were highly restrictive. So, until we decided to move here, I'd never really had anything more than a passing interest.

Now, it's not only a necessity, but it's also a great field to pursue.

What got you into shooting?

10. Leciarn

Leciarn New Member

Ya I'm pretty familiar with the big lake area. Used to fly rotor for EMS up there in the valley until I blew my shoulder out on a mountain rescue. It's beautiful there, Gods country. You are brave though the winters there are cold windy and can be isolated. I'm enough of a city girl that I love anchorage. If I get tired if the rat race I just take a drive...

11. Leciarn

Leciarn New Member

My first memories are if shooting guns with my dad. He's one if the good ole boys and I was hooked from the first recoil that knocked me on my butt

12. PerpetualStudent

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't receive the notify email.

I actually love the winter here. Yeah, we are deep in rural Big Lake. About 7 or so miles past Steve's.

I'm from the island of Kauai which is also extremely laid back as well so I am just more comfortable with the slow, easy, chillax lifestyle.

13. PerpetualStudent

I had very rare opportunities to shoot anything but an air rifle or paintball gun. LoL.

I'm an entrepreneur, working on starting a restaurant and beginning my investing career.

You used to be a pilot? How did you hurt your shoulder?

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

To bad I moved! I had my own range when I lived on Foothills Blvd!;)
    All I can suggest is you get to know someone who lives rural and hook up with them.
    Sorry to hear the Valley is getting so overly civilized!:(

15. 207driver

207driver New Member

I use to shoot from my back deck, out to 50 yards. Sadly it IS too civilized now.

There are a few spots out near Palmer and way out to Sutton in the coal hills.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snotty, I just don't come around here much any more.
    Anybody from Alaska still hanging on?

17. 264Win

264Win New Member

shooting Range

I live at mile 71 in Willow and the nearest range is mile 94 upper Susitna shooters Association.

18. 207driver

207driver New Member

That might be the nearest 'range', but we were looking for something a bit less organized, like an old gravel pit or cleared area with a back-stop that locals might use to "tune up" their rifles, or do some pistol work. Now, in all that 'wilderness' there is no plinking place to shoot?

Most of the real good places around here have been thoroughly trashed (by Valley Trash), not real gunners. I have personally hauled hundreds of pounds of household crap from the Knik area only to find thousands of pounds replacing it the next time I visited. Too sad, and I have lost my faith in the goodness of people--people are basically crap, and will $#!t in their own water supply!

Sorry for the rant, but I get pretty angry every time I think of that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  19. 264Win

264Win New Member

non formal shooting areas

We have shot at two working gravel pit's for years with the permission of the owner but were told last year that the new neighbors were complaining of the noise and "danger". We had been shooting their for many years but the new neighbors complained so we no longer have permission to shoot. The neighbors are many hundreds of yards away and the backstops are 150ft high but to not rile the neighborhood we no longer have a place to shoot.

20. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Well... I'm NOT in wassila but a little to the south, and my most local spot is North of the RR near the Chugiak airport (not Birchwood Shooting Range).
    Are any of you folks from 2012 still around?
    I joined this forum in 2013.