Non resident conceal carry question.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by winds-of-change, Oct 14, 2012.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was wondering if I could conceal carry in a state that allows concealed carry even though I am not a resident of that state. Say I go to Arizona. Can I legally conceal carry while visiting there even though I am a resident of Illinois?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you have a CCW from a state that is approved by the state of Arizona. If you live in states such as California, Ill etc that does not issure CCWs apply for a Utah permit. Utah will issue you a permit. The Utah CCW is good in Arizona. If you are an adult ARIZONA RESIDENT you do not need a CCW.:)

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Some places open carry is a viable option as well. Like if you were to visit wa. Just know that even open carry legalities vary. In florida you can have a loaded handgun in YOUR car without a permit the same as in your home. BUT in wa you need a permit to have a loaded handgun in your car no matter whether its open or concealed. Life is simplified getting the permit valid to the jurisdiction.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Very true get a CCW. Study the laws before you travel. Arizona law says weapons must be in holster in a car. This means just that a holster. During open carry 2" of the holster must be exposed. Check the laws.:)

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A little google work will tell you that a great majority of states, accept the CCW permits from a great majority of other states. Of course the highly restrictive states do not reciprocate. The states that do accept other states CCWs still may have different carry laws that must be abided by. It is complicated, but the information is available. As far as I know, no state will allow you to carry concealed unless you have that state's or one of the partner state's license. An exception would be a state that has no permit necessary to carry.

Search for "fireams reciprocity" or something similar and you will get the answers you need.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Chainfire so true. New Hampshire allows concealed carry without a CCW but will not issue travel permits. Some states will allow adult New Hampshire resident to carry concealed if they have a proper ID for that state.:) There are a number of up dated web sites you can check state laws.:)

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe the holster has to have a strap and that is only if it is not on your person.

8. winds-of-change

Okay. Thank you. I don't have a CCW because I live in Illinois but I do believe I can get a Utah CCW. Also another state's CCW. I believe it was Florida.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You will need to contact a Utah Inst. in Ill. The course will take about 5 hours. Once the paper work is filed with Utah it takes about 6 weeks for issue.

10. winds-of-change

The indoor range I typically go to offers that course.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Understanding Use of force is the most important factor of conceal carry or open carry. Most ccw courses go over that a lot. Pay special attention.

When i went through mp school every classroom day had at least an hour usually more dealing with proper use of force. For two months... the army thinks its important enough for their police forces to devote that much of what little time they have to teach everything just to use of force.

You got one chance to get it right without the benefit of a police union to backstrap you if you get it wrong. Its that serious an issue

As a civilian if you pay attention and keep going over the material until you can recite it by heart your off to a good start. Most of all keep your gun on you whenever possible. Its all moot if your not armed.

Pick up the Cornered Cat book from http://corneredcat.com my wife got a copy at one of the local gun shows. Its got a lot of good ccw and self defense info that is female oriented

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  12. winds-of-change

Thank you. I will look into reading that book. I know CC is very serious. As I've said before, I'm not sure I'm ready for that but I would like the option if I so choose. But...........I live in Illinois, so.........

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Her website also has a literal ton of info on female centric self defense issues.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

HandgunlawUS is a site dedicated to gun

laws and permit validity nationwide.

IMO, well worth a bookmark.

As for me, I go where it's legal to carry

with my state's permit, and

only spend money in those states...

Voting with your wallet is effective, and can be done every day...

15. Chuck87charger

Chuck87charger New Member

Has anyone completed the non-resident Virginia online course? I got the forms and am thinking of taking the class soon. Currently have a resident WI permit, but travel in a number of states that accept VI not WI.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

This is a nice map for reference

[​IMG]

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Feel free to move about the country.

When we only spend our tourist dollars in

reciprocity states, the other states will fall into line...

18. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Hey Winds, earlier this year I took the Utah course so I can carry in WI when I go. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

19. winds-of-change

I was thinking of taking that course at GAT Guns.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have been a Utah Inst. for CCW from the begining in the 1990s. This is a very easy short course. It does not require shooting or gun handling as many other states do. There is no way you are going to fail this instruction. There is no need for prestudy or research before the course. The Inst. does not expect a Utah Firearns Law expert to show up for his class. The jest of the course is Utah Firearms Law. The Inst. will guide you for the state or states where you plan to travel. Just follow the Insts. meeting rules. Enjoy it a fun class.:) If you can find a Utah Inst. that offers the NRA Basic Handgun class which is 12 Hrs. with shooting, think about it.;)