Non-perishable food

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by SmithKid308, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What are some non-perishable foods that I can put I'm my BOB and that don't weigh alot and aren't to pricey

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Assuming you don't have a lot of $$$ to put in this right now, and that WATER is not a problem for YOUR location, visit the grocery store, shop carefully. Ramen noodles, instant soup mix. Instant oatmeal packets, hot chocolate mix (lotta sugar, some cafeine) dried fruit, raisins, etc. Would not want a steady diet of any of it, but cheap, light, and can keep your backbone and belly button apart for a while. Instant rice is a good carb that stores well, lightweight. Add some stew or chili, it's not bad, fillling, decent calorie loading.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

A jar of peanut butter is excellent just buy two one for the pantry you use one for the bag when first one runs out grab the one in the bob and replace it with fresh. Pb lasts a very longtime unopened.

All readily edible food even mre have shelf life. You dont get into multiples of decades storage unless you go base dried grains. Best practice is rotation of foods even preserved foods that are edible out of the bag.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

5. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that some pre-colonial Central American people used small dogs. Idea being, food that carries itself and doesn't go bad; one dog, one day, one dinner. :D

6. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

Ok, i'll have mine with onions, slaw and...woah, what the? :D

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do you mean that the rest of you do not select pets based on their potential as an emergency food source?

Whoops! :eek:

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you seen my 20+ pound kitteh? :D One day i will get him some chickens to play with.

9. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

Wal-mart sporting goods section....mountain house freeze dried. Light and yummy!

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

MRE's are ok, there water proof, last long, and they taste ok. Best part is they come with matches and Tabasco sauce. I carry a couple when I go hiking.

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Might I suggest you take the Ramen noodles, instant soup, salt and other things and vacuum seal them. Yeah the noodles get crushed but you can carry more in your bag. You can also seal ammo and stuff.