Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Winchester and Federal load the round in brass with non-corrosive primers but its about 5x the cost of the mil-surp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they still make the surplus ammo. I have a few boxes but I was wondering if they made new surplus ammo without corrosive primers.

·
Banned
18,636 Posts
There is no such thing as non corrosive surplus in that round. New manufacture from reputable companies, yes, but not surplus.

·
Administrator
26,131 Posts
Since the 7.62x54R is the ammo for the Soviet bloc medium machine gun, and for their sniper rifles, it is pretty much a certainty that it is still being loaded. The corrosive primers have an advantage- they last longer. Do not count on ANY surplus round in that caliber being non-corrosive.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
There is steel cased ammo available that is supposed to have non-corrosive primers. Wolf, Tulammo, Brown Bear, all state non-corrosive primers. But a C3 said, you may not want to trust that fully. If I take a Mosin Nagant to the range I'm probably going to put at least some surplus ammo through it, so I always clean up with some hot soapy water through the bore. Then some WD40, followed by my regular solvent and gun oil.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it cost any more money than regular surplus and also what does it meen if your bullets have a grayish paint on the tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts