Non-corrosive surplus 7.62x54r ammo?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by reloader97, Jun 6, 2012.

1. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

Does any country make 7.62x54 surplus ammo that does not have corrosive primers?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Winchester and Federal load the round in brass with non-corrosive primers but its about 5x the cost of the mil-surp.

3. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

Do they still make the surplus ammo. I have a few boxes but I was wondering if they made new surplus ammo without corrosive primers.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

There is no such thing as non corrosive surplus in that round. New manufacture from reputable companies, yes, but not surplus.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Since the 7.62x54R is the ammo for the Soviet bloc medium machine gun, and for their sniper rifles, it is pretty much a certainty that it is still being loaded. The corrosive primers have an advantage- they last longer. Do not count on ANY surplus round in that caliber being non-corrosive.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There is steel cased ammo available that is supposed to have non-corrosive primers. Wolf, Tulammo, Brown Bear, all state non-corrosive primers. But a C3 said, you may not want to trust that fully. If I take a Mosin Nagant to the range I'm probably going to put at least some surplus ammo through it, so I always clean up with some hot soapy water through the bore. Then some WD40, followed by my regular solvent and gun oil.

7. reloader97

reloader97 New Member

Does it cost any more money than regular surplus and also what does it meen if your bullets have a grayish paint on the tip