Non Compliant gun sale through Big 5

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Andlyn, May 12, 2011.

1. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

A month ago I purchased an MN 91/30 that was on sale. Did the paperwork, waited 10 days, picked it up etc.

I got a certified letter from Roger Tanaka, Director of Operations for Big 5 stating that Big 5 did not complete the paperwork properly, and that my rifle is non compliant with state law because of this mistake.

They're asking me to come back to the store, re-do the paperwork so its a legal ownership...

I was heading to the range tomorrow, if I were to be pulled over and searched, that could have potentially been a 10 year prison sentence for illegal posession.

they gave me a whopping $10 gift card for their mistake...
    I'm going in later to fill it out again...but I feel like a complaint could be filed or legal action could be taken against them and they want me to sign those papers ASAP so they can't be touched. Am i just over reacting to this?

What would you do in this situation?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I'd go sign the paper work and collect my 10 bucks. You haven't been damaged other than a little hassle of going back to sign the paper work again. Being as they admitted to their mistake I seriously doubt you'd have gone to prison. There was no criminal intent.

10 days to wait on a gun sounds like an infringement to me I'd move out of Kalifornia. :eek:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Even in CA, it is highly unlikely that you would be going to jail because the seller made a paperwork error. The SELLER having legal problems is another matter.

Just for the hell of it, I would have been tempted to say "What rifle?"- just so they squirm a bit. :eek:

And yes, they are trying to be up front, go in, help them get their paperwork straight. At $10 for a gift card, they probably lost their profit on the sale- those are not high dollar items- I'd be tempted to hit them up for a box of ammo.

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Nothing, go sign the papers and move on!

They are trying to correct the problem, and you did NOT get pulled over or suffer any other loss because of a MISTAKE.

People shouldn't sue just because they can!:rolleyes:

That's why there is so much CYA bull-pelosi in life today, and why there are so many things you could do 30 years ago that you can't today, because everyones worried about being sued!

5. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

10 Day waiting periods

We get upset here in Arizona if we have to wait for the receipt to be printed up for a gun purchase.
    Move out of California was suggested, hell run out of California, them folks are crazy!!!:eek:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

you guys got pima county and sheriff dupnik heh....

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

:confused: ...........

8. freefall

freefall New Member

You saying Wisconsin is more politically astute than Pima County? On what basis? :cool:

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Exactly what I was wondering and who is Sheriff "dupnik"? He is not talking about Arpio (sp) is he?

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dupnik is the azzhat that spouted all that nonsense when Congresswoman Giffords was shot in Tuscon.

Sign the papers, collect the ten bucks and get on with life. ;)

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ahh, ok. I did not realize that dipshat's name was acutally Dupnik. Normally, proper names are met with a <shift> key to start. Makes sense now. Still, Arizona as a whole is waayy more gun friendly than Wisconsin. Azzhats live everywhere.

I agree, go sign the papers. Ask for a $30 gift card because of the gas burned for their mistake. Your time is worth more than $20. Put the money towards ammo and go shoot the shat out of the Mosin. Spend at least $20 of your own money just to show them that you have ingegrity. The manager will remember that, and the managers in stores like that are the ones to show your are a good customer. Could come in handy later.

Post a range report for free.

12. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Andlyn, I know it feels like a big deal and you have every right to be worried, upset, nervous, and pissed off. But YOU did nothing wrong so don't sweat it. I don't know the ins and outs of how things work in Cali. but I'm pretty sure even if you would have gotten pulled over, the law enforcement wouldn't have known that there was a paperwork screw up. And even if they did, and ATF was called or something, you still did nothing wrong and they know that.

Short story. I sold a rifle to a buddy of mine (I'm an FFL). He filled out the paper work, I called it in, they told me it was "Delayed" which meant they needed to look into something. Here in Texas, if you don't hear anything back from them in three days you can proceed with the transfer, so I did. About a week later my phone rings and it was the ATF. Apparently someone was suppose to call me back with a "Deny" response and never did. Now you want to talk about being nervous? I had to tell them that I had already transferred the rifle. I thought they were fixing to lower the boom on me. But they were really cool about it. They just wanted to know where he lived so they could send a Sheriff Deputy out to pick it up. It turned out that my buddy had a pending court case in another state. All in all, everything turned out and he got his rifle back.

I guess what I'm saying is that mistakes are made on all levels, and the ATF are NOT the bunch of jack booted thugs they were once made out to be.