no to a permit?

Discussion in 'New Jersey Gun Forum' started by strix, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strix

strix New Member

In nj do they look for anything to say no! I have a low level felony from 12 years ago what are my chances?

2. strix

strix New Member

It's that bad out here

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A felony is a disqualifier. Even if you manage to sneak it by the state level the feds will deny your purchases. Are you sure it was a felony? Were you convicted? How old were you?

4. strix

strix New Member

I was 21 at the time no jail or fine it was attempt none violent.

Ps I'm not looking to carry just for home and range

5. strix

strix New Member

I am now I'm just in the waiting process guy at range said it can take 3 months that will stink for a no, then I have to get a lawyer on it

6. strix

strix New Member

Thanks it sounds like I will need it most of my friended think I will get it I hope there right

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You have a couple of problems- being in NJ is one. The other is the felony conviction. No matter when- there is no time out for those. Also no such thing as a "minor" felony. It is or it ain't.

Under Federal law- (18 US Code, section 922) it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a firearm. Penalty is 5 years, Federal prison, no probation or parole.

For persons that were convicted of a STATE felony, there IS a process to petition for restoration of gun rights. First step is to hire an attorney in YOUR state.

Persons convicted of a FEDERAL felony have no way to restore gun rights short of a Presidential Pardon.

IF you have not taken care of this, you will be denied a purchase permit, a carry permit, etc etc etc. And that is not just NJ.

8. strix

strix New Member

Thank you for your answer I was given a certificate of release back in the state of the felony in New Jersey I guess that is similar to an expungement Plus I just took a plea bargain not so much conviction so maybe with all this it may help

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would advise talking to an attorney, before going any further on your own. i don't think a certificate of release is the same as expungement, just that you have met the conditions of parole or probation are are released from that. and guessing is a good way to run afoul of the law again. talking to an attorney and finding out for sure would be the best course of action, especially before trying to buy a firearm or caught with one in your possesion.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What he said right up there ^^^^^. Really. No, REALLY.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  12. marksman957

marksman957 New Member

Expungement is your only hope.

13. strix

strix New Member

I live in nj now but it happen in ny and ny has no expungement they have certificate of relief and that I have

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

without expungement, the felony will always be on your record. better contact a lawyer. getting caught with a firearm within your possession is another felony if convicted. sure trip to prison.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Are there any exceptions for the OP? What about a muzzle loader? Air Rifle? Are those felonies too? Anyone know for sure?

16. strix

strix New Member

Even if I have a permit?

17. strix

strix New Member

Not breaking any law if I have a permit for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.