No such thing as too safe! (not for the squeamish)

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Justen.223, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

I've always said "It'll never happen to me", not out of arrogance or disrespect, but because when it comes to safety, I'm the guy who checks, looks, and double checks. But the first time in my life, I have one laps in attention, and it bit me in the ***. For 1: I knew better, and 2: I knew better. By no means am I looking for sympathy, but merely trying to allow others to learn from my mistake, and advocate "There is no such thing as too safe" and "Always stay focused". The attached pic should be a good reminder as why.
    Last Sunday (the 11th). A .40 s&w 140 grain self defense (hollow point for the unfamiliar) to the palm of the left hand @ point blank.

Learn from me please.....

wrist.jpg

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Thank you for sharing.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dang, I bet that hurt. I hope you'll heal quickly.

4. planenut

planenut New Member

Thanks for sharing!

Any details on what not to do?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Mad props for having the stones to put this out there!

NO SUCH THING AS TOO SAFE!

Thanks for the reminder Justen.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Please tell us the story of how this happen.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That's gonna leave a mark!!

8. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

Story behind it, sure...

I was/am going to sell my sigma, due to the fact their is no safety on,that and IMHO it's just a cheap firearm, and had a buddy interested in buying it. So i'm showing him the in's and out's of it, and how to strip and clean. So i drop the mag, and instead of racking the slide to be certain the hole is empty, i get lost in conversation and neglect this crucial step. (Which I know better than to do) So i put my hand on the slide, palm over the muzzle (another i know bettters) and in process of releasing the slide. How i hit the trigger is a mystery to me, but i did it. Bullet goes in the palm (and if u look in the pic, its the black area on the palm) out the wrist. Luckily i missed all vital arteries, but i did get a contusion (bruise) on the ulnar nerve, broken ulna (bone in the forearm) busted tendons, and large amount of muscle mass blown out onto the shop floor.
    sorry for the text style typing...hard to type one handed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

Dam....Just... dam.

Hope you heal up nicely. Sucks, But it happens to the best so the worst know what not too do. Good luck with your wound.

10. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

11. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

some don'ts....
    1)don't ever assume its unloaded, check it, then check it again,
    2)don't ever allow anything thats not going to be shot, pass or get in front of your barrel.
    3)don't ever assume its unloaded, check it, then check it again,

some do's
    1)use common sense and if for what ever reason you become distracted, go back three steps or better yet...start over.
    2)pay attention to the task you are involved in
    3)dont get into a hurry...thats when you are most likely to screw up

12. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

i just read that post and is shockingly very similar to my own experience...i too cussed my self for things went wrong (again because i knew better), my ears never rang either, however i did hear the blast, but it was very faint, almost like a little kids cap gun, I presume this was because my palm muffled the sound. dut i didn't, and thus far havent had pain enough to take meds for...knock on wood. must have cauterized the nerve endings or something.

i stayed really calm, my buddy however, who is a ex deputy for a texas county, went absolutely goobers...i remember telling my self that "as nuts as he is getting...i have to stay calm, i have no choice...plus we cant have two nut-jobs at one time".

another side note...when the bullet made its exit, it blew my metal watch band apart, and i assume thats what split the bullet into two major pieces. 1 jewked off at a odd angle and went into a gas can on the floor, where that half stayed. and the other hit the windshield of my motorcycle, ricochet down onto the front fender and the rolled off on the floor. there are still a few small fragments still in my wrist that were to risky to remove. county sheriff dept. still has my pistol but have said that i will get it back after process. what ever the hell they're processing it for. and no citation has been issued either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  13. dub1686

dub1686 New Member

Good luck and heal up!

14. jbd

jbd New Member

Holy crap buddy. Get better and be safe. Thanks for sharing with us I am going to show this to my two sons 15 and 13. I always talk and show them the safe way around firearms but I bet your picture can help drive what I have been teaching them for years home.

15. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

That hurts to look at. I hope you heal up and are left with nothing but stories to tell your grandkids!

16. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

accident happen even to the best of us mine was with a snow blower and like with what was said before i new better. i have all my fingers thanks to good doctors hope you both heal and never repeat

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Sh$t Happens

I'll stick with wrestling Gators. My hand is healing fast. But you my Friend must be in a world of hurt. Seems it is always the unloaded gun that does the worst damage. :eek: God Bless

18. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

That's funny, I can see it too, if you hadn't just blown a hole in your hand you might have laughed out loud at him.

You would think though, that a former LEO would stay a lttle calmer in a situation like that.

19. planenut

planenut New Member

I hope this isn't in poor taste but.... I have to know...

Did he buy the gun after seeing how it performs or did you decide to keep it due to the history you have with it? :)

20. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

I have decided to keep it. Even if the everyday sight of my scars (once healed) isn't a reminder enough, I'm going to have in wood frame, glass front, show case and hang it up.