No steel case ammo at ranges

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Sgt_Skrb_25, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I'm coming across this more and more, where ranges don't let you shoot steel cases. They inspect your gear and hold your ammo if it is steel. What's the deal, they only want to take your brass to recycle and re-pack? I just finished my 7.62x39 Ar and all I bought so far was steel cased. My first attempt at taking after I built it too! Denied! And they don't even sell brass 7.62 there.

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Most indoor ranges won't let you shoot ammo with steel casings. They may tell you one thing but the real reason is laziness. They're too lazy to separate the steel casings from the brass casings. They're only going to sell the brass casings for scrap.

3. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

That's what I figured. They just want your brass! Unfortunate that's mainly what I have around me is indoor.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

You need to find a farmer with a pest control problem.

Link to your AR build thread?

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Oh. THAT AR. I love the looks of that build. I've said that before.

I agree about the steel cased ammo and laziness thing. My thought is I've only seen it at indoor ranges. Are you trying to shoot your AR at an indoor range? We don't have any for rifles around me. Only one outdoor.

7. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Thanks. I just wanted to do a 25 yard initial zero and cycle check. I have one outdoor range near me but its to damn hot right now.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

steel cases ammo almost always has steel bullets also. they may not want steel bullets used on their targets.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Did I miss the sarcasm green?

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yup its pretty tough on paper targets :D

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Stupid lazy people abound in this country.
    Don't want to go through separating brass from steel? I have a secret for you, brass is not magnetic, steel is.
    If you need directions on how to take advantage of this information, bring your guns to the police station and turn them in.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is a shame. Owners of firing ranges are taking advantage in areas that are mostly Urban. Sporting goods stores and Gun Show vendors are robbing American owners by created ammo shortages. Elected public officials and Liberal governments blame gun owners for every crime committed. The President offers Gay marriage and no punishment for street drugs while disarming the civilian population. Has anyone ever read the history of the Jewish people in Pre-War Germany? :confused:

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, the flunkies hanging around the range with nothing to do could just as easily separate steel case from brass in their spare time even with one thumb up their butt or on a cell phone. Mountainman13's idea could have it completed In about 3 seconds with one of those 200-lb handheld magnets from Harbor Freight, but that may be a little too intelligent and easy.

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Of course those flunkies would say they couldn't lift a 200 lb magnet. (sarcasm intended)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Laziness and greed. A local indoor range makes more money selling brass than it does on range fees. I refuse to go there with any self loading pistols (only revolvers) and I use a brass catcher on my rifles, even .22 LR. Screw them. I will sell the scrap brass. It is MINE!

16. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Yes it is! It's also major wear & tear on new generation traps, with a --very slight-- chance of fire.

It's their range, they get to make the rules. If you don't like their rules (as mentioned), don't go there. Only place in town? Then you're SOL.

I've never heard of any indoor range that prohibits brass catchers, and everybody I know that reloads collects or catches their brass.

17. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

The two indoor ranges we have visited said it was because the steel core bullet hits the backstop and sparks, causing a greater risk of fire. He let us shoot one more to demonstrate and compared to the regular non-brass round, it was a significant difference! The outdoor shooting areas on BLM land near here have signs about safe shooting, and recently added to please not shoot steel case during fire season for the same reason. We are in AZ and it is VERY dry (duh) so perhaps more sensitive than say the mid-west.

Perhaps it is BS, perhaps it is laziness, perhaps some of all the above, but the bottom line is their range, their rules. Don't like it. can't shoot there....

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

No one cares about the target. Our local range had thousands of dollars damage done to the backstop from steel bullets. They check everyone's ammo with a magnet these days. They don't really care too much about the cases, but if the projectiles are magnetic, you can't shoot it there.

20. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

x2. The steel cased is OK but if it is steel core you are outta luck. And most Wolf, Tula, etc. is steel core, very easy to check your ammo or any you are thinking of buying. Simply take a small magnet and hold it to the tip of the bullet. If it sticks, you are looking at a steel core round.

The good news department is the steel core will penetrate more (another reason ranges don't allow it) so it'd be good for stopping a car, right through the engine block. ;)