No Sigs?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Tidalforce79, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

I went to a local gun store yesterday, to have the smith look at my DE. I have a colt on lay away, and I am looking into fixing the DE. Well, suffice to say, the colt is a classic gun and I don't plan on firing it every Saturday. The Desert Eagle is cool, but expensive to shoot, and, from what I'm now learning, picky as hell. So, to make a long rant short, I'm looking to get another gun. So, I had the store keeper show me a few models I was interested in(a Springfield XD45, A Rock Island GI, and a few Kimbers). I wanted to take a look at a Sig, cause I've heard a lot of good about them. However, the shop keeper said they refuse to carry them. Is this common(and I mean for any brand)?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I think you need to find a new shop. I've seen stores that wouldn't carry the really cheap stuff as well as one place that quit carrying Taurus (to many warranty issues). To not carry Sig is just silly in my book. I own 6 of them and they are great guns. This P229 with a .357 Sig barrel is currently on duty as my computer desk gun...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Find another store. Sigs are great guns.
    The only reason I can think of that they might not carry them is because they're expensive and at least around here, expensive guns sit on the shelf a LONG time before they get sold.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

This is the most likely reason they are not in stock. Often, a store may only make around $50 on a gun, so selling more units of a cheaper model makes good financial sense. The store probably focuses on stocking the items they most commonly sell. Would the store owner order a Sig for you if you wanted one?

5. orangello

orangello New Member

6. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Yeah, they would very likely order one, the shop guy seemed very helpful actually

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

usually a store will not carry or carry certain items based on required stocking levels. some companies require a minimum amount of their brand to be carried on the shelf. not sure if that is the case with sigs.

as for their quality, its pretty decent better than glock and berreta by a long shot.

price per unit is usually why you dont see them in smaller shops. they are not cheap.

what is wierd is the store saying they refuse to stock. a decent store will order whatever you want if they dont carry it.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

If it's a "Mom and Pop" store, the overhead to keep slow selling guns in stock is a killer. If he will order one, you should be OK.

9. F150DVR

F150DVR New Member

Next time you go in there ask a lot of questions about the brands they don't carry and why. That can reveal a lot about a company, if they bad mouth a brand do they have a legitimate reason.

10. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

That is weird, did he ever give a reason on why he did not carry Sig Pistols? I have carried one for 21yrs and can not find a better carry pistol. I use a Sig P229 or 239 in 9mm depending on what I am doing and where I am going. About 3yrs ago I started carrying a Springfield XD45 then purchased a XD45C. Yet I find myself going back to my Sig.

Here is a picture of a couple of my Sigs
    [​IMG]

11. gunnut55

gunnut55 New Member

WTF? what a ****ing homo! why would a gunshop not carry a gock or sig is beyond me, never seen or heard of it. Any make 1911, glock or sig sauer are the best firearms in the use today by military, lawenforcement and security. Why a shop owner wouldnt want to sell one of the best brands of firearms in the world just blows my ****ing mind

12. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

Perhaps he doesn't carry Sig Sauer because...

1. He isn't eligible to be an authorized dealer for whatever reason.

2. Maybe too many of his competitors sell Sig Sauer and he can't compete.

3. Maybe he has historically had problems turning them over. Example: gun dealers probably sell way more Glocks than Sig Sauers. I noticed that myself where my local gun store has the same Sig Sauers sit there while Glocks, CZ's, and Berettas move out the door quicker.

4. He has issues with Sig Sauers.

13. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

If it was me, the next time he saw me would be the last. Go down the road and get an H&K.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

His Sigs are CHEAP!

P238 for $405

Allegedly SIG sent him a nasty-gram because of his prices and he cannot list them on this site anymore.

15. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Ya know,after Sig gets paid,there out of the loop. Shouldn't matter to them, if I took my whole order out to the parking lot and set fire to it. To hell with Sig trying to set a dealers prices.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

They don't set the price, they set the minimum price that can be advertised. Browning does not allow price posting at all. Others do the same.

17. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Would that be so all dealers in an area get a fair slice of the pie?

18. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Sort of.

Many manufacturers set limits on advertising of prices to help protect the little guy.

There is usually a tiered pricing on items based upon the volume bought (to sell).

Typically it is:

Retail Price
    MAP (Minimum Allowed Pricing)
    Wholesale
    Distributor

The local mom n pop stores pay more for products than a Cabelas or Gander Mountain sized store. So if they sell them for the same price, mom n pop make less profit but still get to make a sale.

19. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I see. Reminds me of something I read in a Shooters Bible years ago. Q: How do you run a small gun shop? A: Open a large one and wait. Mom and pop need all the bus.we can give 'em.

20. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I agree, and will gladly pay more at a small store with good service. Plus, I get calls from the small shops when they get in something cool they know I will like.