No safety?

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by CFinnley, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

I bought me my first m&p .45. N its the first gun ive ever handled wit no safety. Im a beginning gun enthusiast n maybe its there n I dont recognize it. I think some m&ps have a removeable safety but im not seein where it "could" go on mine. Am I missing something

2. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

No your not missing anything. The standard m&p doesn't have a safety. I just got an m&p 40. But I've done a lot of research, you would have had to gotten one with it. It would have cost you at least another $20 to get that version. I'm not sure if you could install one though. My other guns have one as well, so it may take a bit to get used to

3. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

A thumb safety is an option. just remember with all firearms youre the best safety the firearm has. in other words keep your nose picker off the trigger until your ready to go bang ;) also you can't add one without changing the slide. you don't have the milled recess for it

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Most ppl that own it prefer it without the safety. In double action it takes a good pull to get it to fire so there is your safe zone for you.

Going to a firearm without a manual safety takes a bit of getting used to, I have a Sig P229, no safety but it has a decocker (which I like) coming from a Beretta 84 (manual safety/decocker) it took a bit of time to get comfortable with the idea...

5. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Do you have a firing pin lock? Mine does not have a manual safety. However, it does have a firing pin lock. Mine uses a little key that allows me to engage or disengage the safety.

6. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

I dont think it has a firing pin lock but i wouldnt know lol. It has a double action trigger. I got it for a conceal carry but wit no safety i dont wanna take the chance

7. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Personally on semi-auto striker fired I do not like not having a manual safety, it's just personal preference.

8. cvia

cvia New Member

Just got an M&P 40 to. No safety on it. Its kind of like a glock from what I'm told. Some models have a thumb safety. I'm very new to guns to and kinda wish I had one. Next is a 1911. Oh I carry mine every day.

9. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

How easy would it be to install a firing pin lock? With kids around its not enough to keep the ammo seperate

10. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I think you may have bought the wrong handgun for you. It looks like you have two real choices train with this M&P until you're comfortable with no safety or trade it in on a handgun with a manual safety.

Also all modern handguns have a firing pin block that will keep the gun from firing if dropped.

11. kodiak

kodiak Member

1. Get a proper holster
    2. If you're carrying keep it on you.. in the holster
    3. If your not carrying...lock it up. It's irresponsible to do otherwise with kids.
    4. The only time your finger should be on the trigger is after you have identified and acquired your target and are ready to engage.
    5. Invest in some training

12. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

O ok. Ima fan of all firearms. May not be used to it now but ill learn to love it lol. Its all a process n its already loads better than my hipoint

13. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

Im trained n i got my kids trained but no matter how many precautions you take **** could always go wrong

14. kodiak

kodiak Member

#5 was not meant to be derogatory. I mentioned getting some training based off your first post. There is nothing wrong with being cautious. Take another look at 1-4. The weapon is not going to go off by itself. Have you ever carried a revolver?

15. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

I have a judge but i dont carry it everyday. I never been that much into revolvers

16. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

Adding a firing pin lock would be very difficult. Instead practice smart storage. Lock your ammo in a separate storage area from your firearm. Put a trigger lock on your firearm. And, lock your firearm in a sealed cabinet.

That'd three locking mechanisms and two storage areas that would need to be breached by children to attain the items necessary to fire off a round.

This strategy does limit your home defense ability, as obviously you wont have ready access to your firearm -- but your kids wont either

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are a lot of people carrying Glocks and Glocks dont have external safeties. Learn and practice safe gun handling and you will be OK .

18. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

I was also worried about not having a saftey on my first handgun, but good handling and practice, and you'll get comfortable. Be safe!

19. CFinnley

CFinnley New Member

Thanks for the info people

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I believe that the gun already has a firing pin lock, but I may be wrong. IF you have the schematics or an exploded view of your gun you should see it, on the slide, I think it's located under the rear sight. someone correct me if I'm wrong...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=859/schematicsdetail/