No powder any where!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Crazycastor, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I was lucky enough this year to find powder for reloading, two cans of it. One was pistol power and the other was Hodgden H4350. Today the boys decided it was a good day to shoot up all my reloads for a Fathers day outing. We had a blast. Now I'm desparately needing powder. We have a 2nd Admendment that just opened up and this guy came in over a weeks time and pretty much bought most of the powder, leaving just the black powder. Then this guy came in and bought all the black powder for his cannon. I think there needs to be a limit on how much you can buy at one time. I'm sure the guy who bought up all the powder probably sold it some where else for a higher price. I think this limit should only be during times like this. Who agrees

2. mseric

mseric New Member

Limits should be up to the individual store owners/managers. If they want to set limits, OK. If not, that's OK too.

3. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

We cannot count on buying powder one pound at a time and locally.

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

I have see some web sites stalking ammo but reloading components are not easy to find. What caliber are you loading?

5. SurfGuitar

SurfGuitar New Member

We're all in the same boat on all reloading components.....

I have a limited supply of Large pistol primers, and Large Pistol Magnum primers, about 600 small rifle primers, and no small pistol primers....

I'm down to my last pound of Bullseye, and Unique, and 2 small cans of old Du Ponte rifle power that are just about empty. The only thing I'm phat on is a 5 pound can of Hi Skor 700-X....

My supply of 158Gr. .38/.357 Magnum heads is dwindling, I have about 50 146Gr. 9mm Hornady HAP heads left, no .223 heads, and less than 700 heads for .44 Magnum....

The only thing I can put together are light .44 Magnum loads since I have no 2400 or Herco left.....

The closest place that "might" have any powder is Cabela's, and they're a 3 hour drive from here, not one local shop has anything at all to sell......

6. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I'm loading .40 Smith & Wesson, 30-06 and .223. Trying to get set up for 8mm Mauser. I was lucky when I first started out reloading in February, I could find everything at the mom and pop shops if I drove around looking but that supply is now gone. I don't think any of them has gotten a load of powder since last November.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I snagged a good order of powder (19 lbs) in October. Alliant has been all but non-existant of late. Their customer service reports they are working 24/7, but cannot keep up.

I just grabbed up 2 lbs of Blue Dot at a shop in Houston. Props to 10 Ring for NOT price gouging ($23/lb). They even had small pistol primers!

With Blue Dot actually on the shelves w/in 150 miles of my house, there is the slightest crack in the log jamb

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I just started reloading in December and have not had the opportunity to be picky on powders as of yet. I have had a good source for primers and powder. I am well stocked (20,000+ primers and 30lbs of powder) but I haven't been able to try every load in the books due to not being able to get certain powders.

9. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Find a big state competition shoot of about any kind in your area. They'll have dealers from all over selling about everything and anything.

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

The shop i work at has stopped selling ammo .....We sell only if you buy a gun(ammo for that gun, 2bx) or people using the range. It is worse now, than it has been.....We get 100ph calls a day asking if we have this or that caliber. And we have been out of PYRODEX, and BP for months. We still have a good supply of 9mm/45acp/.40/45lc/44mag/357mag. But saving it back for our range

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I haven't heard of any compition shooting out my way, but I'm going to check that out. As far as not selling bullets unless you buy a gun or shoot it at your range, well thats just good business sense right now. Its hard to sell a gun with no ammo for it. I just hope things turn around soon.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree but only if it's the individual stores mandating it.

I was lucky enough to buy 2lbs of Bullseye a week ago at a LGS about an hour and a half from my house. Since the crisis started, we have been shooting less. We don't like it, but what else can we do? This powder should last us through the end of the year, at least. Plus, I have a little bit of Silhouette left, if I really need it.

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If I owned a store, selling goods of any kind, and someone came in and bought it all, I'd go home early for the day and save on overhead costs. Can't blame it on capitalism. Get out of bed earlier ;)

14. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I agree if they bought everything, yea close down early and go home. But just image owning a silverware store and someone came in and just bought all the forks in the place. It would be harder to make more sales with out the forks.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If I sold all my forks I would offer soup at competitive prices. That would provide a spoon market. Refusing to sell only limited amounts of any thing is a poor business practice. Anyone can circumvent that rule.:)

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

The iPhone doesn't have a "like" option so take this as that.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

up to the store owner.

but most municipalities DO have limits on how much blackpowder you can have in your home. mainly due to the severe hazard of explosions with blackpowder. where i live its 5 pounds. anymore than that and it requires special permiting and storage hoops you gotta jump through for safety of your neighbors.

5 pounds is enough to take out a good chunk of your home and you with it. more than that and it starts to endanger your neighbors...

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Black powder in cans is not that dangerous. The cans are made with bottoms that melt at low temps. I have never known of a properly stored supply of BP blowing up anything. Black powder must be under compression to blow up "Houses".:eek: The 5 gallons of lawn mower fuel in you garage is far more likely to explode.
    City ordinances are based on fear mongering by politicians. These are just more gun control rooted laws. We are allowed to keep 50 lbs. without a safe. UPS trucks roll down your streets everyday with cases of Black.:D

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I vote no. If store owners take it upon themselves to institute a limit, that's their call. They likely won't get my business anymore though.

People buying up all the stock and reselling it at an inflated price to make a quick buck off of other's desires and emotional state (panic), piss me off as much, or more, than most people.

But a mandatory limit spits in the face of freedom.

20. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I'm not talking government setting the limits I'm talking store owners. And only when hard times like these. Yea people can work around it and they do all the time. When someone comes in over a weeks time and buys 2000lbs of powder, you know he is reselling it online at a much higher price. I don't know it just pisses me off