No More gun Rentals

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Threetango, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

2. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

strange stuff. :confused:

however......ugh......there is a gun range i go to occasionally that rents guns. the clientele that comes looking to rent guns had made me very nervous more than once. i have seen more than one "crash course" of gun operation given on the spot. :eek:

in fact, one time i chose to not enter the range with a person that they rented a gun to. the person they rented a gun obviously had NO, i mean NO experience with firearms and was even waving it around a bit in a "toy like" manner. i left and went another 20+ miles to another range.

i support that any gun range has the right to refuse to rent based on any situation that makes them feel the situation is unsafe for the shooter or others.

or at the least, there should perhaps be a policy that pairs a range officer with lone first time shooters.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that ranges refusal to rent to white males could end up biting them in their butt if someone decides to bring a lawsuit against them. refusal to rent someone a gun should be done on a case by case basis. i completely understand their position, but i don't think their decison is the correct one.

4. hawkguy

yup. someone's always looking to make a buck off a lawsuit. this has the makings of a classic.

white folks have filed a few major lawsuits on discrimination in the past....and surprisingly won some of them.... ;)

discrimination based on race, sex, religion, etc is supposed to be intolerable. :confused: i believe some have called it.....racial profiling?

5. Axxe55

i can fully understand a shop refusing someone a rental on certain grounds, like under the influence of drugs or alcohol or even if they appeared to be somewhat unhinged, but to make such a blanket refusal like they did, IMO could have consequences they may regret later on.

that just because it's only ever been a white male that committed suicide at a gun range is saying that no black or hispanic male never committed suidide with a gun. i think that would be false.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

The policy is not to rent to white male Florida residents who come in ALONE.

Suicide folks don't want to mess up their home or be found by friends or loved ones which means its unlikely they would bring a friend if they planned on killing themselves.

I've no problem with a private business taking this precaution. Especially if it keeps gun rentals available for all of us who are occasionally in the market for a model we've never fired.

Tack

7. hawkguy

exactly. make the call on a case-by-case basis.....it should relate to actions, not skin color.

again, the correct word to use here is profiling.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The whole system's upside down.

Get arrested? Everything they hand you on a silver

platter is FREE. Make THEM pay for their records search, when

they get booked and charged with a crime.

Why do we have to pay for our records search, on a CCW

permit, for instance, when a scum-low criminal gets it

automatically, for nothing?

They WON'T eliminate "Gun Free Zones" no matter how many

people die there. Here's a question: Is there a statistic for how many

folks have had shooting sprees at a gun range? THIS might prove

somebody's really insane; IMO, they are ALL sane enough, when they

choose to go to the Gun Free Zones.

Or how about stepping up monitoring our mentally ill? Seems this idea

never comes up, as they are reaching into our holsters, trunks and

safes, to grab more guns they don't own, from folks who not only

obey the law, but pay through the nose, for those who DON'T.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Two of the three criteria for refusal to rent are race and sex? They may be trying to alleviate libility, but someone will sue them based on race/gender bias.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Our local indoor range wont rent to anyone alone after a suicide. He does not discriminate so he is legal. I cant really blame him. It cost him when that happened. The range was down while it was being cleaned up plus the police took the pistol.

11. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Our LGS had that happened a couple years before we bought our first firearms from their. They started renting again, which is a good thing for beginning shooters.

12. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

Agreed. Not only does the whole idea seem crazy to me but that particular store sounds as if it is courting a law suit.

13. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

I have seen the restriction of not renting to lone, unknown (i.e., non-members or people who haven't taken classes at the establishment) people at ranges in CA, NH, and FL. Didn't understand what it was all about until I heard about the suicides at FL ranges.

This particular place restricting only lone, white males seems like it is asking for a lawsuit, however.

14. Axxe55

all it takes is one person to feel offended by that policy and seek out a lawyer that likes to sue people for huge amounts of money.

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not even a Florida resident, and i am offended by it. Once again, we are made to pay for the actions of others with unsound mental states. Somebody needs to sue the owner of this range on general principals.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What if 20 guys come in and rent guns? They all go out to the firing line and commit suicide? Oh!! They have never heard of mass suicide? The idiots that run that circus should be sued for being stupid. :rolleyes:

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I can understand the reason behind the policy. However, it's discrimination regardless. Even when you add in the part about them being alone. It should be that they won't rent to ANYBODY, regardless of any other factor, if they're alone.

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

This place is ALL OVER Central Florida. They are definitely going to get sued IMO. Most of the clients I have seen are white males. Their new policy makes no sense.

If I were the owner, I would just start issuing cards like Blockbuster used to do. First visit requires some extra paperwork and an RSO observation until they feel you are competent to be left alone. Make a little card and verify against ID for unaccompanied entrance to the firing line. That should satisfy the insurance company.

Let's face it though, if someone is going to wash their mouth out with a slug, rules/regs aren't going to stop them. They have only murdered themselves, so clean up the mess and back to business as usual.

A few years back, Orlando area shooting ranges were having the same problem and more. In addition to suicide, there was a rash of murder/suicides. In the highest profile one, a mother took her son to the range and blew his brains out while he was on the line in front of her. She then blew her brains out. The footage was on the internet, sad stuff.

What happenes when someone rents a car and drives off a cliff? What about when someone rents a car and commits a vehicular homicide? Where is the outrage! According to this flawed logic, nothing should be allowed to be rented because of the remote possibility of criminal misuse.