No more 380's

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Billy9mm, May 18, 2012.

1. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Sold the last one of my .380's I had 2 Bersa's and a Walther PK380, I have my eyes set on the Remington R1 1911, or the S&W M&P haven't fullt decided yet. Have never owned a 1911 but have shot a few, and I have to say I really do like it. I have got my wife comfortable shooting my Taurus PT609 9mm so it was time to send the 380's packing. 9mm is the lightest thing I have know for carry and defense, along with a .40 and .45, and my 22 for fun but no more 380's.

2. khegglie

khegglie New Member

Is it the caliber per say you dont like? I keep the .380 around because of the POCKET sized guns that are available in the caliber.

3. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Sorry there khegglie for not responding back sooner, working 2 jobs is wearing me out. Actually I got rid of the 380's for several reasons, the main one being I want to buy a 1911 or a S&W M&P, I figured for cost of ammo, less knock down power, plus had a couple of friends with wives that were interested in them I could sell them and stay with 9,40,&45. As far as pocket size I have a kel-tec P-11 that solves that.

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I came to a similar conclusion. I had a Kel Tec P3AT and a Kahr P380. I sold the P3AT to buy the P380 but ended up selling the P380 because of ammunition cost and availability. I sure loved the form factory though. I moved to a 9mm and the extra "knock down" power was just a bonus. It's nice being able to get ammo and get it for a reasonable price. If I'm going to spend a lot on handgun ammo I'd rather get some .45 ACP or .44 Mag.

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

well like it has been said. "the .380 was a cute fad, now lets back to business."

I swore off all 9mm and .380 about 2 years ago. I now own 2 1911s and single action is the only thing for me.

Good choice. on ditching the .380

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

7. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I just can't hit anything with those damn little things, I guess if it's something to stick in a aggressors belly if he jumps on top of you but other than that, I hate them.

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You should look at Buffalo Bore lead nosed +P ammo. I'd say its pretty close to 9mm standard velocity as far as knockdown goes.

The PPK is very accurate from what I hear.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

10. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I don't want to get TOO into a dead horse, I just feel this relevant since it was just on Guntalk's podcast so here is a link to a great study. Basically it found what anyone would expect: Caliber makes little difference, shot placement and number of hits does.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

Anyway I love my little .380 for my backup. I typically carry the Judge as a backup though.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with that 100%! that is exactly what i advocate and preach about. shot placement and proper ammo. several hits with a 380 is much better than several misses with a 45! practice, practice and practice some more. then also buy quality JHP ammo that feeds well and it is ready to go when needed. i also recommend carrying as large a caliber that you can shoot accurately though. i have many pistols iv many different calibers, a 380 included, and i for one don't feel undergunned when carrying my 380 at all.

12. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

I love my 380. I have a Llama Micromax 380. Sweet little pocket pistol. It's a Colt 1911 style. Love the caliber but I do admit the rounds are pricey.

13. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

I have a S&W .380 body guard. I just got it 2 months ago and have taken it to the range several times for practice. It shots great easy to place shots, especially with the laser and is reliable.

As far as arguments about .380 or 9mm not big enough...well there is a hot case going on here in Florida right now where a guy was shot and killed and the gun was a KelTec 9mm.

14. loucip

loucip New Member

Well how much knock down do you need? I know for myself I don't usually shoot people do this weapon is for that one time in
    My life where lethal force is needed. I have a LCP a sig 239 ((9mm) and a glock 23. I think the 380 is just fine. As far as the cost of ammo. I reload all 3 calibers.

15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I would be VERY careful about reloading the ammunition you use for self defense. There have been cases where it's been used as a point to say that someone was only out to kill peopl by idiotic prosecutions in self defense cases.

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

They are prone to magazine jams, they are accurate.

+1

+1

What is the difference in my .380 loads or standard? I'd still use my handloads. BTW my ankle peice is a W. German Sig P230. Fast as lightning and it does hit the same place twice, 7 times actually. I'm a big guy w/ hands the size of baseball gloves. My hand is 9" long and have no issue w/ my Sig. I can almost completely palm it.

17. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

For normal folks like us, 380/9mm is plenty.

18. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

19. glibshoot

glibshoot New Member

The only real difference between .380 and "9mm" (Parabellum/Nato/Luger) ammo is case length and bullet weight.
    .380: 17.20 mm case length with 91 gr. bullet. "9mm": 19 mm case length with 115 gr. bullet. One has a longer case, allowing for a few grains more powder, and a heavier bullet -- and those extra grains of powder are needed to give that heavier bullet the required penetration.
    Plus, .380 inch is the same as 19 mm anyway. They both have a 9 mm bullet diameter.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

And velocity. And price. And variety of platforms.

That's a lot of difference. Heavier bullet, travelling faster, costing significantly less and far easier to find, and feeding a myriad of platforms.

380acp is fine and it's got a purpose. There certainly are a number of very convenient carry guns that run on 380. But it's not a useful caliber for me, personally. Not that anyone needs to share my take.