No MIM

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by michigan0626, Dec 31, 2009.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Quick question,

What are the entry level (read cheaper) 1911's that do not use MIM parts?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think 'No MIM' and 'entry level 1911s' are mutually exclusive.

Or in other words, "Entry level 1911 with no MIM parts" is an oxymoron.

If you don't want MIM parts, you don't want an entry level 1911.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Over 2000 rounds in my Kimber with MIM parts and no problem what so ever.

Why ya'll gota hate on MIM parts?

4. sandhills writer

sandhills writer New Member

:D Not entry level, but the new Wilsons use NO mim parts

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

MIM parts in pistols is one of those interwebz hate things with precious little basis in facts. Any part made by man or machine, machined or MIM can fail - so what. I've shot a LOT of rounds thru 1911s and I've had nothing fail ever.

If it really bugs you, buy a base unit, buy replacement parts from Brownells, and feel good to know your gun will never fail because of an MIM part. Me, I'll just keep shooting mine.

Bottom line is if MIM parts were so bad and so prone to failure - manufacturers would stop using them immediately...

6. BCOWANWHEELS

BCOWANWHEELS New Member

colt for the price has the least mim

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

They read too much. MIM parts, if made correctly will serve their purpose just fine just like any other product.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I refurbish jet engines as a machinist. Even our military jet engines use MIM parts, that should tell you something.

We do X-Ray every part and fluorescent penetrant inspect them as well though. If not inspected this way, cracks and voids can be missed. When mim breaks it's a result of a crack or a void from the beginning process that was missed.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are not that many internal parts on a 1911 that suffer a lot of stress under firing. all parts can break regardles of how they are made. you can get parts made by machine tooling that can be infeior and out of tolerance just as easily as a mim part that has a flaw in it. worked in a machine shop for 5 years while going to college running mills lathes and presses making small parts.

becareful of interwbz hate rants on things started by people who have never owned or used items they are ranting about. one other thing chinese steel is far superior in quality to american steel made by union steel workers... think about that for a bit. not everything mass produced by labour saving methods is inferior. for example if an mim part is stress rated at half the rating of the same part made by machining that has a higher stress rating and is exactly the same in function and form but never sees stress of more than 20% of its max rating how is it inferior??

one last thing and ill shut up and quit adding to my post. used to have a series 70 colt 1911 with all machined parts. broke 2 firing blocks under normal 230grn ball ammo. switched out the machined blocks for mim blocks never had any more issues. gave the pistol to my brother to use as his duty weapon and 15 years later under heavy use the mim part is functioning fine.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010