No gunsmith Mosin sporter?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by dteed4094, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I'm trying to sporterize a 91/30 without compromizing its origional character. I recieved my extra bolt body from Sarco this morning and wasted little time starting it's adaptation. I am trying to do this build for under $200 not including glass. I realize when I'm done I still have a $70 Mosin but it isn't the destination, it's the journey. Now The next leg of this trip is to find or make a scope mount that isn't chinsy for under $30, The remaining part of my budget. Even if the gun didn't shoot well, I don't believe I'm wasting my time because I have thoroughly enjoyed what little time I have invested. BTW the first time, and only time I took this rifle to the range, it shot a 2 MOA group at 100 yds. God knows how accurate it would be if someone with more skills than I have were to shoot it.
    bolt handle.jpg
    View attachment 26513

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I know it's "To each his own" but I don't understand how one can sporterize a historic military rifle without compromising it's character:confused:

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

He still has the original bolt, in original configuration, The original stock and metal. He can convert it bact to true original in about 1/2 an hour. My hats off to him!!

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Well that's not so bad then. Definitely keep all the old parts!

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I pretty much agree with you GL.. I like leaving milsurps in their original configuration. I have nothing against "accurizing" (bedding, trigger jobs, etc..) But I don't care much for sporterized ... Sorry and nothing personal to those who like to do that sort of thing.

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have 4 unaltered Mosins, 2 unaltered mausers, 2 unaltered Enfield No.4 mk1s, I also have a sported Enfield,Mauser and 03 Springfield all of which were done when I bought them. I have a hard time altering milsurps and as of yet haven't. The MN I'm playing with shot about 8 inch groups before and now shoots 2 inch groups probably better with someone else behind it. I enjoy guns and tweaking within my abilities which are only limited by equipment and knowledge. I can't financially change the equipment but knowledge is limitless if you are willing to explore. Sportering a MN is my way of exploring certain aspects of firearms. Even if I do drill and tap, saw off the barrel or grind the sear down to dangerous extremes, which I won't, it is my way of enjoying firearms when I can't get to the range. I would very much like to have the knowledge JPattersonnh has and I know he didn't acquire it by just collecting milsurps and never altering them or studing them in pieces on his bench. Yes there are many on this forum that have little respect for milsurps in their origional glory but I assure you I do.
    View attachment 26683
    View attachment 26684
    This is the bolt handle made from a 1/2 inch bolt and 2 nuts.
    View attachment 26686
    View attachment 26685

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  7. jpattersonnh

Thank you for the kind words. Before 91/30's were readily available years ago, I wanted one. I found 2 barreled actions, there were stocks w/ them but the owner sanded them down so much none of the metal fit correctly, the bands were useless. I found 2 complete bolts, and 2 VG stocks and built my own out of them. Both were counted bored and neither had been cleaned since Stalingrad. 1 was for my oldest son and I let him pick the action and stock he wanted out of the 2. The 1 I ended up with had a bore that looked like it had no rifling at all. It was actually so full of years of copper and crude the grooves were all full. I used foaming bore cleaner and a brush. It took 3 treatments to get the crap out. It ended up being a very good shooter w/ no pitting inside or out. They cost me $75.00 to build. It was a fun project. I learned allot about 91/30's.
    The beater stocks were donated to my sons High school history teacher for world history. They hang on the wall of his classroom. For some reason he no longer has an issue w/ unruly students.;)
    The only military rifle I ever sportered was a basket case M38 Swede. It is now my middle sons hunting rifle. He picked the stock. I still need to Dura-coat the metal forest green.
    [​IMG]

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Thats a sweet Swede. Is that the one you just finished? I watched the threads when you were building it.

9. jpattersonnh

Finished just before Christmas.

10. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Update' No Gunsmith Mosin sporter.

Since altering the extra bolt, I haven't been quite satisfied so I did some bending. It now looks like it belongs on the rifle. I also finally finished free floating it. Hope to get to the range tomorrow.
    100_0662.jpg
    100_0663b.jpg
    100_0665b.jpg

11. opaww

opaww New Member

It's fun doing project rifles, and sense the MN is cheep no loss if you make a mastake. Though I love them as milsurplus and leave mine that way.

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

It is only minutes away from being totally origional with all matching numbers except the bayonet. I need more Mosins to play with!

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Opaww, If mine shot the way yours does, I wouldn't touch a thing on it

14. KIRBY

KIRBY New Member

:rolleyes:

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I can honestly say I've thought about "sporterizing" my mosin not the stock but just the bolt and and putting some glass on it. Just haven't done it, good luck with the project I'm interested in how it turns out.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When you put in a bent bolt, you have to modify the stock. Glass bedding can't be removed in a few minutes, so to preserve the rifle, you need to buy an after-market stock.

The Mosin Nagant is not a tack driving, precision rifle, and will not be after your modifications. However, you bought it, it is yours to destroy if you choose. For the money you will spend, including the cost of the rifle, you can buy a used model 700 and have a more accurate, and better looking rifle.

Modifying a historic firearm would be like making a shirt out of Betsy Ross' flag. After all, it is just an old, out-of-date flag.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

It's not the destination, it's the journey. There are enough purists when it comes to milsurps that Mosins will probably never be rare in their origional configuration. Every one I know with a Mosin has at least one more to keep for posterity sake. If we never tried to expound upon our weapons, we would still be throwing stones and swinging clubs. Mosins can be tack drivers.