No Fricken Gunsmiths!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Tackleberry1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've been looking to have my Bushy re-barreled for a about a month now.

7 trips to different gun stores...
    4 recommendations of 3 different gun smiths...
    1 call back to tell me he'd be happy to re- barrel my AR, however, he's off to the Shot Show so it will be two weeks before he can begin!

It MUST take an artistic mind to be a gunsmith because I've YET to meet one that was not a complete Fricken IDIOT when it comes to running a business. Which is probably why I've never seen one still in business after more than 2 to 3 years.

OK, end of RANT!

So...I just picked up a new LMT M4 complete upper to get my zombie popper back up and running.

Tack

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Get a $20 tool and change the barrel yourself.

3. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Buy a GOOD wrench and a GOOD receiver block to hold it in a STURDY bench vise.
    Do that and it's an easy job.

4. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

This is so easy to do! The biggest thing I will tell you to avoid - so not torque down you flash hider/brake with a receiver block at the other end - you'll tweak or bend the extension pin (kind of important as it aligns your barrel with the receiver and allows your bolt to go home). Speaking of bolts - will your current bolt match your new barrel/extension?

Save yourself the hassle and either buy barrel vise, or use some wood and water hose and torque on that when installing your FH/compensator.

But seriously - you don't need a gunsmith to change the barrel. I used the standard barrel wrench to put all mine on.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Fellas

All good advice, I'm sure it is easy but between work, wife, 4 kids, the house, both mother-inlaws...I'm lucky to get to the range twice a month.

Some folks just do not have the time to do this sort of thing. I'm one of them, hence my purchase of a new LMT M4 upper because I do have time to swap over my quad rail, eotech, and rezero when I hit the range this Saturday.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for not pointing out that MY panties were in a bunch.

Tack

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Here's the pics. The new LMT is mounted on my original Bushmaster Lower w/drop in Chip McCormick single stage trigger. Anyone considering one of the drop in trigger groups should really grab one. Mine breaks like a glass rod at 3.5 lbs and has been running strong in this lower for 8 years now.:)

TACK

Attached Files:

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Whatcha soon with your old upper?

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

What I'm "doing" with my old upper...

Tossing it toward the back of my safe until I find the time and Money to figure out the re-barrel thing.

I have my M4 and a second 20" free float with a fixed 10 mil dot scope for longer range fun.

I'm thinking I'd enjoy having a version of the A2 I carried for many years so perhaps I'll put an 18" w/A2 birdcage, reinstall the "never used" detach carry handle and standard A2 handguards...:)

Tack

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Whoops, once again, "swipe" gets the best of my inattention again.
    I'm not sure what shipping cost would be both ways, but if you want, I have the clamp set and pri barrel nut wrench I can lend ya.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Thanks for the offer pagj17 but if I do this I'll have 3 functional uppers that will eventually need new barrels. I should just buy the stuff so I can avoid another Internet melt down the next time I get frustrated with my local lack of gunsmiths.

What is the tool list/cost

Tack

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012