Nits Make Lice

Discussion in 'History' started by tinbucket, Dec 5, 2017.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

link refuses to work and instead leads to a dating site.
    I've redone it several times now and no luck
    Obviously a hacker is at work.
    However you can type in Cherokee Nits make Lice and find it.
    Maternal Grand Mother told similar story but much more graphic.
    The saying popularized by John Sevier, who was held ind disdain in upper east Tn, just the opposite of history books. He was a real butcher though I have not found anything yet on the net about it.
    The saying spread west with the English Pioneers who were worse than others in barbarity, then some say the Spanish were, and is substantiatd byhistory books.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    towboater likes this.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What in heaven's name is this thread about? I'm very confused.

Chainfire, 303tom and Dallas53 like this.
  3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I thought it was going to be about head lice !.............. download.jpg

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

winds-of-change likes this.
  6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

John Sevier, some discussion of military action against thei Cherokee, copied from Wikipedia:

Cherokee and Chickamauga WarsEdit
    Main articles: Chickamauga Cherokee and Chickamauga Wars (1776–1794)
    Upon returning from Kings Mountain, Sevier received word from Nancy Ward of an impending Cherokee invasion, and immediately organized a 300-man force and marched south.[7]:184 On December 16, 1780, he routed a Cherokee force at the Battle of Boyd's Creek, near modern Sevierville. A few days later, he was joined by a contingent of Virginia militia led by Arthur Campbell, and the combined forces continued south, occupying Chota on December 25. They captured and burned Chilhowee and Tallassee three days later. Sevier and Campbell proceeded as far as the Hiwassee River, where they burned the villages of Great Hiwassee and Chestoee, before beginning the march home on New Years Day.[7]:187–190

In February 1781, Sevier was commissioned colonel-commandant of the Washington County militia following the death of John Carter.[7]:193 Shortly afterward, he embarked on an expedition against the Cherokee Middle Towns, which lay on the other side of the mountains in the vicinity of modern Bryson City, North Carolina. Emerging from the mountains in March, his 150-man force took the village of Tuckasegee by surprise, killing about 50 and capturing several others. Facing little opposition, he proceeded to destroy about 15 villages before returning home.[7]:193

In September 1782, Sevier set out on an expedition against Dragging Canoe and his band of Cherokee, who were now concentrated in a string of villages in northern Georgia and Alabama. Because Dragging Canoe's band had earlier been settled near the Chickamauga River, the European-American settlers called them by that name, but they were Cherokee. While the people were decentralized, this band was never identified separately from the Cherokee. Sevier defeated a small force near Lookout Mountain, and destroyed several Cherokee villages along the Coosa River.[7]:208

7. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

The title of the bungled post, was the use of "Nits make Lice" popularized by Sevier, to urge on the extermination Cherokee women and children.
    At the cave near Kingston Tn, in VaSevier and Covington, I think was his name led a bunch that massacred women and children trying to escape the campaign to kill all the Cherokees. They disemboweled pregnant women, cut the fetuses up, cut children in half, raped, and cut the intestines out of the women rapped them around them and forced them to dance, as the cut them with knives and so on. I don't know if they finished them in fire at the stake or not. It's been along time since Grand Ma relayed it from a century before. In one of the articles, on the net it comes close but leaves out much of what happened.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Before humans can do those kinds of things to each other, they have to be convinced that the "victims" are not fully human, because no one could justify such cruelty to be inflicted on humans. This usually begins by universally condemning a population, religion, or nationality verbally. Language leads the way to atrocity. That is why what we say is important. Using racial or religious slurs to describe groups is the first step on the stairs to massacre. Using language like: Native Americans=lice, (or "Injun Squaws") Jews=untermenschen, Mexicans=wetbacks, Ragheads=Muslims are the necessary precursors to genocide. People have a choice to be a part of the process or opposed to it.

Balota, tinbucket, 303tom and 2 others like this.
  9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Chain, how can an enlightened, politically correct person like yourself tolerate debate with our little group of "deplorables?":p

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is easy. I like sharing thoughts with people who don't agree with me. It keeps me on my toes and focused when I know that you are going to pound me in the dirt if I post something stupid. If I posted on the Liberal Gun Forum, which I tried and didn't like, it would be like having sex with myself; it could be satisfying, but something important would be missing. There are some people who post here that I do find deplorable. You, I find frustrating, but not deplorable. I suspect that the ones I find deplorable, you find frustrating.

Also, I like the maxims of Sun Tsu. The one that comes to mind is something like this, I will paraphrase cause I am sick, swilling codine cough syrup, and don't have the energy to go look up the exact quote:

If you know yourself and know your enemy, you will win all of your battles.
    If you know yourself but do not know your enemy, you can expect to lose half the time.
    If you know neither yourself or your enemy, you will never win.

Besides all of that, it is hard to argue hard with cops without going to jail, this place safely fulfills that need. .!. :)

ellis36 and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

besides, a person needs to understand that another person's perspectives and opinions are sometimes formed by their life experiences, which could be vastly different than another's.

and listening to an opposing thought process does one of two things, it either makes you rethink your own opinions, or it reinforces them. but, you have to listen with an open mind, and actually listening to what someone is saying.

my father had a saying when we were growing up, "You're not listening, if your mouth is running!"

and just because people may have differing opinions doesn't mean one is right, and the other is wrong, or even vice versa for that matter. sometimes there are different paths to the same destination.

Chainfire likes this.