Nikon Pro Staff vs Vortex Crossfire

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by kytowboater, Feb 19, 2013.

1. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Hoping to buy a scope for my AR tomorrow. Looking to spend no more than $150.

These are currently on sale where I'm going to shop and in my price range. I've heard nothing but good things about the Nikon, and I've not heard much on the vortex.

Is the Nikon worth the extra money over the vortex?

Thoughts on this would be very helpful.

Looking to get the 4-12 magnification as well if that makes a difference. As when I get my bolt action .308, I would probably put the glass on it until I can afford another scope.

Thanks y'all.

2. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I use vortex optics on all my rifles. Including two crossfires. They are amazing scopes, and nikon can't come close to matching the vortex warranty. Get one with the bdc reticle, and shoot away

3. kytowboater

Is the clarity as good or better than the Nikon on the crossfire?

4. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I think they're as clear if not more than the nikon. But when dealing with scopes in that price range, they usually lack certain coatings on the lenses that higher end optics have. If your local gunshop has them, take a look side by side and make your choice. One thing I can say, is I know for a fact that the crossfire will hold up tp the recoil and won't lose zero.

5. kytowboater

Thank you very much for your insight. Just reading the warranty is better helps.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hey man, i'm sure you have seen my wifes ar. there is a nikon prostaff 3x9x40 atop it. i also just recently bought a vortex crossfire 3x9x40. i have not shot the .22 that the crossfire is on however side by side the nikon blows it away. i'm not saying that the vortex is crap. its pretty nice looking. but my vote goes to the nikon. it is clearer, and the crosshairs themselves look thinner. and so far the nikon has stood up great to the recoil of her ar with at least 1k rounds through it. would i choose a vortex over a tasco or simmons. you bet. but i take the nikon over the vortex all day long. it really comes down to what you are satisfied with. you want to save a little money and still have a good usable scope go with the vortex. if you want a slightly better scope go with the nikon.

also take a peek to see if there are any burris scopes onsale also.. they are as good or better than nikon for about the same price.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    bman940 likes this.
  7. kytowboater

Dang. Now it's hard lol. Maybe what's in stock. Dicks wants $170 for their pro staff I just looked at.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I vote Nikon.:)

bman940 likes this.
  9. 762

762 Member

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Check amazon. Should be able to get one for about 155 160

11. kytowboater

I have a small gift card to bass pro. Going there and use it to offset some of the cost. Guess itll come down to what is in stock today. They have the 4x12x40mm on sale for $160 online. The Nikon.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

good luck deciding.

13. bradford027

bradford027 New Member

I have a 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff on my .22lr. I have a 4-12x40 Vortex crossfire on my RRA varmit ar. They are both solid scopes but the nikon is much clearer. In fact its crystal clear all the way to 9x. The vortex is ok clarity wise down low and in the middle but when dialed up it gets hazy. Its still usable though.

bman940 likes this.
  14. kytowboater

Well bass pro was a disappointment with their stock today. It's fine. No rush to spend money but I really want a scope. Ill just order online from them or buy one from my local guys.

They were asking $400 for remmington 770 with scope combo. Thought it was the savage/Nikon combo. I was sadly wrong.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

im sure the gift card is just as good online. might even be able to find a coupon code... go with the nikon. you wont regret it. lol

16. kytowboater

I looked at a Nikon pro staff vs a crossfire diamondback vs bass pros brand. The crossfire and the bass pro brand both being $200. The prostaff a in stock were the p223 and 3x9 prostaff with nikoplex reticle.

I want the Nikon 4x12x40 so I can swap it to a .308 rifle later. Oh and guy showed me a red field revenge but it felt cheap.

bman940 likes this.
  17. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I switched to Nikon two of my rifles two years ago. They are crystal clear and great light collecting in early morning hunts. I have the 4to12X40 bdc on my 22-250 and have not been disappointed. I also have Redfield (old ones) and Leupold.

bman940 likes this.
  18. kytowboater

Bought a the prostaff 3-9x40 with the nioplex cross hairs off eBay today. Can't wait to see it.

bman940 likes this.
  19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

nice, you should be pleased

bman940 likes this.
  20. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I have a Nikon Pro-staff on the 25-06 and it works good. But if I thought about replacing it, I'd look hard at the new Redfields. Don't mean to confuse you, just take a look at them.