Nikon P-223 P-Series Rifle Scope 3X 32 BDC

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by rpmranch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

Anyone out there tried one of these out yet? Looking for a Xmas present for my son......

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You may find the BDC is more of a hindrance than a help. They tend to clutter the sight picture. Don't forget they are calibrated for a specific load and bullet weight.

3. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I have a m-223 and like it a lot. The P-223 is NOT calibrated for a specific bullet and load. (but default is 55gr ball). Nikon has a web page, PC app, and smartphone app called "Spot on" where you tell it which cartridge by which manufacturer ( as well as environmental data like temp, humidity and wind) and it will calculate the ranges for each part of each bubble of the BDC reticle.
    You can check it out at nikonhunting. com.

BTW I also have a p22 and m308, they're all very nice and Spot On has been right on the money with the configs.

4. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

Thanks, I currently have an Aimpoint CompM2 but am looking for something that will give me an option to reach out past 100 yds or more.

5. CaptAhab

CaptAhab New Member

Scott is correct, I have a p-223 on my M&P sport and I love it. Decide what ammo you are going to use and go to the Nikon website and it will give you a table that you can print out for that particular round. It is very accurate.

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I've owned 2 Nikon BDC scopes. In theory they are nice but I much prefer a Mildot or fine crosshair sight. The BDC is too cluttered IMO

7. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Well, in practice (no theory about it) they are nice, if they're what you're looking for (in my case, it is).

If the OP looks at them and decides they fit his need in a format he likes, then it's a good fit.

I have three Nikon BDC scopes, and in addition to being a pretty decent scope for the money, they use a common application (that I have on my phone) for ballistic info.

I appreciate that you have tried them and prefer something else, but it won't necessarily be the case for everyone.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can't go wrong with that scope, or any other Nikon for that matter.

Personally, I prefer the ACOG, but they're pricey.

9. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Have you considered a magnifier? There are a few on the market that are low cost and will accent what you already have. just my $.02 :)

10. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

I have considered it, but if I did I would like to get the aimpoint magnifier and not some imposter but I cannot justify the cost of a 3X @ 500 bucks. I take my AR with me in the tractor for yotes and sometimes they are too far out for a red dot....The only thing I dont like about the Nikon is the mounting system, looking for a quick detach system. Guess I will check with Larue...

Thanks

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i just got done getting rid of my larue mounts they dig into your rails something fierce!! over time from mounting dismounting i dont see how its not going to ruin a rail nd lose zero.

ive been using adm mounts. they hold zero and return to zero just fine and are made in wisconsin!!

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/mounts/

this is the adm mounting system it clamps very securely to the rail without any slicing blade type business. it can be easily adjusted for tension without tools

[​IMG]

the larue as you can see uses a blade to cam into the rail. it requires a tool to adjust and can and does loosen on mount dismount cycles

[​IMG]

this is wear has started on my bcm rail from less than ten cycles of mount dismount. i am very anal about properly torquing and adjusting things and folowed larues instructions.

[​IMG]

larue is also something of a scumbag that blames the user for damages never the crappy larue designs...

13. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

Thanks for the heads up,never heard or seen this before, always thought they sold and backed a top notch product but it looks like I will go another route. I will check out adm.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

i did too till i got a little quality time with their acog rco mount. ive got one other of their mounts that if i dismount it its getting replaced and sold on ebay or something. i bought it solely based on their reputation. i wish i had of done more research before placing an order as im not the only person who is not happy with the damage larue mounts do to their firearms.

i think its more hype than anything. they make a supposedly great rifle so i bought into the larue hype about their mounts. im sure at some point in the past they did offer the best product out there but thats not true today.

15. bman940

bman940 Member

Scott and Capt. are right on with their comment's about Nikon's BDC Reticle and Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. We all know not every scope fit's every person. I'm not trying to push you into something you don't want or won't like, but at least take a look at the BDC Reticle and Spot On. I find the BDC reticle draws your eye to the circle and you just need to know how far you are shooting. While I have only looked the P-223 3X over and never fired a round under one, I know a number of guy's who hog hunt down here in Tx. using one and a budy who is a cop in NY has started using one in 3-gun matches. He was using the M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle. I have the P-223 3-9 on my LMT 5.56, love it! I'll have some pics of it soon for you guy's I hope. I've taken a lot of mil only guy's shooting and now many of them own BDC reticle scopes, it works, plain and simple. I just harvested a doe in KS at 586 yards because of what Spot On and my BDC gave me. Of course I've practiced 100's of rounds at that distance as well. RPM, I agree, I have been pushing for Nikon to produce a QD mount as well, nothing in the works as far as I know, you definitely won't go wrong with the Larue QD AR Mount. As always, drop me a note with any question's.