Nikon m-223

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by humboldtshooter, Dec 1, 2011.

1. humboldtshooter

humboldtshooter New Member

Just came across the nikon m-223 while looking for a scope mount for my AR. Anyone have any past experiences with the scope or the mount? The retail for the scope is between $350 and $400. Tell me what you think!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't have any specific information on that particular nikon scope, but have had several nikon prostaff and monarch scopes, and would buy another in a minute. nikon makes very good scopes and i don't think you would be disappointed in buying one for an AR. good luck.

3. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

I have this M 223 1-4x-20mm BDC reticle on my AR. I have been very pleased but I'm generally plinking less than 100 yds so to do again I would get the point blank reticle.

It appears to be a true 1x and I like the quick target acquisition with both eyes open … on 4x it is plenty for most AR applications.

I do not have the matching Nikon mount but it looks like it would work well.

4. humboldtshooter

I was talking tk my local gun store about them and he says that he sells quite a few of them. Gunbroker has them on there for cheap too, I think I might pick one up in the near future.

5. bman940

bman940 Member

Hum, I have been using the M-223 Scopes and AR Mounts since they came out. A year before I started doing some work for Nikon by the way. I have had great success shooting stell out to 600 yards using the BDC and Rapid Action Turret models. The 1-4 Point Blank Reticle will hit about whatever you want inside of 200 yards if you zero for 100 yards.
    A buddy shoot's 3-gun in NY and has won a comp. and finished in the top 5 a few times using this set up.
    If you decide to get one, post a pic when you get it mounted up.
    http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/KathyARPBR.jpg

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

primaryarms.com had a sale on the m-223 $249 i believe......might have been a black friday sale tho... I think their regular price is $300.

7. humboldtshooter

Damn I shouldve jumped on it

8. humboldtshooter

I won't be finishing the rifle for another few months, but I'll def post a pic.

9. bman940

bman940 Member

10. humboldtshooter

It looks like a great scope and that mount just looks mean!!! I can't wait til I finish my AR. My local range told me about this guy who is an ffl out of his house. He's very cheap in his pricing (10% mark up), but a little slow. Does the scope come standard with the caps or did you have to buy em separate? Great picture though!!

11. bman940

bman940 Member

comes with the caps and ARD. Unfortunately you can not put caps over ARD.
    Sounds like your friend can get you a great deal. He can probably get you a mount as well.
    We are constantly running out of the mounts, they sell so fast. Great price and great quality.
    Bart

12. humboldtshooter

Sounds like a good scope. Yes, some of his products are priced great, but others he has a high cost for. But for the most part he gets me a great deal.

13. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I am very interested in the point blank reticule. My question is this, isn't the dot in the center a 4moa dot? This seems very large to me. Not bad for close up work but I can't imagine trying to make a precise shot at 200yds with a 4moa dot. Also, not sure of the proper verbiage here but what happens to that 4moa dot when cranked up to 4x? Does it turn into a 16moa dot?

I really like the Nikon but due to the dot size, I am leaning towards the leatherwood CMR. Does anyone have experience with this optic?

Sorry for the hijack but it seemed like the thread was dead.

Ryan...RLTW!

14. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

The point blank reticle in the M-223 1-4x20 has a 3MOA dot. The subtension is measured at 4x (most reticle subtensions are measure at max power).

You sort of have the concept but in a SFP scope the size of the dot never actually changes, it just subtends differently.
    In this case looking at a 12" target with 3" bullseye at 4x the reticle dot would cover just the bullseye. Turning the power down to 1x the dot would cover the entire target.

No experience with Leatherwood but good luck.

15. bman940

bman940 Member

TC, Thanks, you are correct. Ihave put a lot of rounds under the M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle and it is a joy to shoot. Quick target acquistion and for shooting reactive target's inside of 200 yards just what you need. Sight in for 100 yards and you basically dead on to 200 yards. Here's a pic of the Nikon M-223 1-4 POint Blank reticle on my DPMS AR.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/DSCN1282.jpg

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

The Leatherwood CMR is the only non-Nikon scope I own.
    Quite happy with it. here are my thoughts
    - I don't give a s*** about the glow option, It's a piece of junk feature.
    - I don't know how accurate the drop is.
    - The weight of the scope is quite heavy. 1 lb .5 oz if i remember correctly. It makes the SCAR-17 a full 9lbs.
    - the zoom ring is quite stiff and i'm thinking about getting the nob that attaches.

I'll try to get a pic soon.

17. rurak

rurak New Member

Ive got the m-223 8x32 (i think) i found it for 100$ at cabelas in the "bargain cave" i love it. Its on my m&p 15 sport with nikon scope rings. Very clear scope.

18. humboldtshooter

I love the Nikon rings, they look great. Right now I have an old Redfield on it. Have a beefed up Redfield revolution on my bolt gun, but would feel bad if I took it off that and put it on the AR. Don't want my guns to feel like I'm playing favorites. Lol

19. rurak

rurak New Member

The rings are great, look good and were only 50$. Cant beat that