Nikon CoolPix

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Old_Crow, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I am considering purchasing a Nikon Coolpix s3300 camera. I know it takes nice snapshots. I am concerned about the macro functions on the camera. Do the macro functions do well enough to see barrel and knife stampings?

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

You need to be more specific on the model, Coolpix range from $100 to $600 in price and features vary. If you are talking about being able to read a stamped number on a barrel they should all do just fine.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My Nikon does well with macro mode but my canon p&s is better

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I can shoot those with the macro function on my iPhone. The advantage of the real camera when shooting macro is the ability to stick it in a tripod and illuminate the shake of your hands when shooting.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I bought my wife one of those 10 mega pixel coolpix cameras for christmas a couple of years ago. It is the biggest piece of junk, at that time i had a phone with a 5mp camera on it and it had better picture quality than that coolpix camera does.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I bought my mom a coolpix a couple years ago. It cost around $300. I regret buying it. Not at all pleased with the pic quality and functions.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The best for the money are those little canon cameras.

8. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

What about this camera?

Canon PowerShot A1300 Black 16MP Digital Camera w/ 5x Optical Zoom Lens

The problem with these lil cameras is they only take pictures in jpg format. They are never going to take great pictures in jpg which is a compressed format for use on the internet. I need to find one that has tif as the main image format.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yep, thats what im talking about

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Even the best DSLR's use JPG as a format. That's really not the limitation, the lens is usually the limiting factor on the camera.

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Many of them come with software for creating raw files from the saved images, no?

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I don't know if they do or not. If the saved image is jpg the quality is limited no matter what you do with it. Really about 4 megapixels is all the camera is using. You can't make chicken salad from....

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

More information than you ever wanted to know.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

In short a 10 megapixel camera is more than enough for most people who up to 16x20 prints. More megapixels will allow you to crop better after the fact for the most part. Raw is usually not "better" out of the camera because you need to post process it while with JPG you can let the camera do that for you.

This link includes mouseovers that change between jpg and NEF(raw) so you can see the difference for yourself.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/quality-settings.htm