Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mil dot

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by ShagNasty1001, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Looking at getting a new higher power scope for my .308. Is this one any good? I used to have a pro staff on it then got a red field 3-9x40

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Buckmaster is the model above the Pro Staff. It's an excellent scope. However, I think the best value and quality Nikon is the "Team Primos" 3-9x40. Nikon stopped making the Monarch in 3-9x40 a few years back. The Team Primos is essentially a renamed Monarch and the Monarch is their top of the line. You should be able to find one for the price of the Buckmaster or less.

Here's some links:

Amazon.com: Nikon® Team Primos® 3 - 9x40 mm BDC Rifle Scope Matte Black: Sports & Outdoors

NIKON TEAM PRIMOS 3-9X40 RIFLESCOPE BDC MATTE 8435 | eBay

3. CA357

I may have screwed up. I saw the 3-9x40 and thought that was what you were looking for. If so, sorry 'bout that. Check out SWFA, Optics Planet and Natchez Shooters Supplies. They generally have the best prices on scopes. Sometimes eBay and Amazon have decent deals as well.

4. CA357

Check out those other places. Cabela's prices can be high unless something is on sale.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Will do. I'm gonna see what academy carries as well

6. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

Hey I was wondering if the buckmaster 4.5-14x40 has turrets resettable to zero or not?? Can anyone answer this?

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

They aren't mentioned in the specs, so I would assume the answer is no. That option is too valuable to not mention if it was there.

8. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Vortex diamondback is amazingly clear. VERY durable Completely waterproof freezeproof and fogproof. I will never got to any other optics. Also warranty is lifetime

9. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Also the buck masters is a Greta scope too. Friend has one in 3-9x40 bdc. Really clear. I like it.
    Still with vortex;)

10. Nateroftheriver

Nateroftheriver New Member

The vortex diamondback has crapy eye relief, it is clear but the eye relief is terrible, the nikon has alot more eye relief, but the coatings nikon uses is just to dark for my taste. Go look at as many as you can that are in your price range as your eyes will tell YOU WHICH IS BEST FOR YOU

11. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Mine is total opposite of what you just said. GREAT EYE RELIEF

12. Nateroftheriver

Great eye relief on a vortex diamondback ??? You must have zero clue as to eye relief then.

13. Nateroftheriver

The vortex viper an up series have alot more eye relief but the diamondback has very short eye relief. I do have the means to test this as a dealer in vortex an leupold ,nikon, swaro ,bushnell, sightron ,NF. So I look through many different scopes

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Well I guess my 20/20 almost 18 year old eyes have already worn out then! On full magnification, MY diamondback allows me to move from 6 to 2 inches away from the ocular lens while still looking at my target through the crystal clear glass

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Taken from the American Rifleman website.

The 4-12X 40 mm Diamondback has 3.1-3.4 inches of eye relief and a 3.3 mm (12X)-10 mm (4X) exit pupil.

6"?.......

16. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

6-2=4. For me the I have 4 inches to work with jack! But, I do not move around that much I stay around 3 in away from the ocular

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

You said 6 to 2 inches. Just curious.

18. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

My bad man. I meant to specify my eyeball 6 to 2 inches away

19. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Since you work a lot with optics how are the buckmasters compared with prostaff. I'm wantin a 4-12 prostaff on my 22wmr but I like the 3-9 buck BDC. My friend has a 3-9x40 BDC Buckmasters that i have shot with and to me the magnification isn't that great. The clarity is reticle I really like but I feel the magnification is lacking. What do you think? For ranges up to 130 on rabbits and squirrels to coyotes